Fordmods Logo

BF2 LED lights 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: BF2 LED lights
Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:05 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon

WA, Australia

I have a 2006 BF Mk2 Falcon, and I've put LED headlight bulbs in. First of all, they wouldn't work with the earth plug connected. Now that they're in, I've noticed I don't seem to have proper illumination of the road in front of me. Is it just the difference in light types or do I need to upgrade my relays or fuses? Or am I missing something else completely?

Post subject: Re: BF2 LED lights
Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:18 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 2003 BA N/A XR6 ute

NSW, Australia

BigDaveG82 wrote:
I have a 2006 BF Mk2 Falcon, and I've put LED headlight bulbs in. Or am I missing something else completely?

Yeah, for a start they're illegal.

Spin the bulb around until it lights up properly, they mimic halogen filament placement so should light up correctly in a certain spot. Well that is if you've gone with a reputable bulb like jw speaker. If it's an EBay special - good luck

2003 Narooma Blue XR6 ute - NOW WITH 6 SPEED! - Underdrives, Hyperflow + Terry pipe + turbo snorkel, 4490's, Venom H/F Cat, 2.5" Redback, BF Turbo T56 conversion, H/D Turbo clutch, custom tailshaft, 3.89 LSD

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Well for starters, I've been unable to find any documentation or legislation that states whether they're legal or not.

Yes they are cheap ones, I know I've taken a risk with them. The problem seems to be that there's not sufficient power to them to achieve proper illumination and I'm hoping to find out if I need to change out the relays?

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:46 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

I would not be changing the relays without upgrading wiring.
Technically LEDs should usually draw less current then Halogens so they should be ok just as plug and play on existing set up.
If you want nice white light id be looking at globes like the phillips diamond visions. But having said that the B series have awesome lights already unless the lenses are faded. Maybe leave them alone.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Yeah that's true, the lights are pretty good anyways.

I did have a look at the JW Speaker ones mentioned above and they come with an inline power inverter or something similar to that which leads to the standard 3 prong plug. Whereas the ones I bought are straight to plug. So it turns out that they are under powered.

Oh well another lesson learned I guess

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:18 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 2003 BA N/A XR6 ute

NSW, Australia

They state "for off road use only" on the box

They have no ADR or ECE stamp

RACQ - https://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-drivin ... headlights - drivers have been fined for LED

I apologise if I came across as a d**k, but they are definitely illegal unless your car comes factory with them.

Narva and JW Speaker LEDs are actually decent quality, 2000 lumen and made to mimic halogen filament placement. So work with reflectors. But until they go ADR and/or ECE, it doesn't matter how good they are.

Chuck a set of Plus 130's in the low, and add a light bar behind the grill for extra light on high.

2003 Narooma Blue XR6 ute - NOW WITH 6 SPEED! - Underdrives, Hyperflow + Terry pipe + turbo snorkel, 4490's, Venom H/F Cat, 2.5" Redback, BF Turbo T56 conversion, H/D Turbo clutch, custom tailshaft, 3.89 LSD

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]