Fordmods Logo

1995 EF Fairmont temperature gauge issue when car starts 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: 1995 EF Fairmont temperature gauge issue when car starts
Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont 6cyl.

VIC, Australia

Hi guys, got a slight issue with my car's temperature when starting. When I start the car, everything is fine until I put it into Drive and the temperature gauge needle suddenly shoots up to say the car is overheating and beeps until I turn the car off.

I've checked the coolant reservoir which is full. My reservoir only contains water, no coolant whatsoever.

What else could this issue be caused by?

Note: car was converted to dual fuel in 2011, not sure if this would have anything to do with it.

Post subject: Re: 1995 EF Fairmont temperature gauge issue when car starts
Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:57 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Michael93 wrote:
Hi guys, got a slight issue with my car's temperature when starting. When I start the car, everything is fine until I put it into Drive and the temperature gauge needle suddenly shoots up to say the car is overheating and beeps until I turn the car off.

I've checked the coolant reservoir which is full. My reservoir only contains water, no coolant whatsoever.

Note: car was converted to dual fuel in 2011, not sure if this would have anything to do with it.

So the temperature is fine in Park/Neutral but as soon as you put it into Drive it shoots up? Could be an issue with the transmission temperature sensor as the transmission cooler shares the radiator and tells the thermofans to come on when the transmission is overheating. So if the temp sensor is stuffed or disconnected, it could be causing issues.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Post subject: Re: 1995 EF Fairmont temperature gauge issue when car starts
Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont 6cyl.

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Michael93 wrote:

So the temperature is fine in Park/Neutral but as soon as you put it into Drive it shoots up? Could be an issue with the transmission temperature sensor as the transmission cooler shares the radiator and tells the thermofans to come on when the transmission is overheating. So if the temp sensor is stuffed or disconnected, it could be causing issues.

Okay I'll check that today.

Yes the temp is fine while in Park or Neutral but as soon as you move into Drive, it shoots all the way up. It's never happened before yesterday so it's just come as a shock.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]