Fordmods Logo

Couple of issues with Ford EBII 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: Couple of issues with Ford EBII
Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

G'day everyone, got a couple of issues that've plagued me for a while and recently a mates friend was able to give it a look over for me (ford mechanic 30 yrs). Besides identifying an intake gasket leak at cyl 6 he picked up the 2 things I haven't been able to fix.

1. Front left wheel bearing/not actually bearing. After 3 replacement bearings it is definitely not the bearing. It also sounds less whirry/wooshing than a bearing, more a continuous bass or humming/droning.

Friends mate said the same, bearing is fine and was stumped, suggested bent stub axle (but unlikely). Can brake rotors or calipers cause this bass like grinding/droning? It disappears on extremely rare occasions, either after tapping the brakes, or recovering from a dip in the road.

2. LPG leaking. Took it to a local supposedly accredited gas place. Worst $220 I ever spent (about a fifth) of what the cars worth. "Dyno" tuned it and gave it back to me spluttering, backfiring and leaking gas (see later). Said he smelled gas and wouldn't fix it for me without charging me more. No idea how this wasn't picked up on AFR rations during the dyno. Kind've cracked it and left it running on petrol since.

Interesting thing, mates friend looked and it and identified the lockoff is stuffed (engine bay one). Which I don't understand. It is in his words, leaking gas freely into the converter. He said when the cars turned off it's just seeping out, and when it's flicked on petrol it's putting gas through the motor as well! He manually shut it off at the tank. Explains the leak and an empty tank after a week or two. Nfi how a dyno tune doesn't pick this up. Air/fuel/02 sensor ratios and pressures all would've been irregular.

Was hoping I could find some clarification. The lock offs are supposed to be closed with car off, and only opened when 12v is applied. This then mean one of mine is stuck open? Clean them out or best to replace? I'll check the wiring/relay too. I thought when a lock off fails they usually prevent gas flow, not the opposite. How is it possible for it to leak gas like it is? Last time I'll ever be letting an idiot tinker with my lpg again. I had it manually shutoff until he somehow failed to pickup on a dyno that is doesn't even run on petrol independently.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]