VIC, Australia

My bad mate I didn't realise I hadnt put it in the first post I made

How would I test the voltage or find a bad module

Post subject: Re: Ed 5ltr won't run
Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:05 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ed xr8

VIC, Australia

Can someone tell how I can check the spout signal or what I need to replace to get it working it sounds like that could be my problem car goes to start but dies when I turn key back to run position

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Alright so I put a new TFI module on the distributor and it started but when I put serpentine belt on it wouldn't run again so I took it off turns out my alternator is the problem after all the mucking around anyway i took the lead and plug off the alt and put belt on and it starts idles and revs nicely

Is there a specific reason the alternator will stop the engine from running should I just get another alternator or could there be a wiring problem somewhere? Is it worth getting my alt repaired if it's possible

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Possibly very significant overvoltage, or an internal short

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:24 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Should be picking up a ef ghia alt tommorow so hopefully it runs well after I hook it up fingers crossed haha

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Be careful with the. The ef and el alternators are different to the eb and ed. it's just a wiring difference but I cant remeber the detail. Also get the alternator plug with some wiring so you can change it over if your doing this

Cheers

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:06 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Should be picking up a ef ghia alt tommorow so hopefully it runs well after I hook it up fingers crossed haha

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Not sure why it sent that last msg again

It's a el 185 Motor still got el alt on it I cut the plug off and changed it when I did the conversion a bloke told me it would be OK To do that And it did run without a problem for about 3 years

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I am glad you got it sorted, but a couple of things don't add up. You say it ran all right when you held the key in the start position, if the alternator had leaking diodes and back fed the system with ac voltage, that would upset the ecu, but it would make no difference where the key was. if it was over charging it would make no difference, did you have to rotate the dizzy to change the ignition module in the retarded position. No one on this forum would have picked the alternator with the symptoms you gave.

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:44 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

it would be easier to explained in person what it was doing its little hard writing it it because the car was acting differently since it first broke down but

I'll try an explain. after it first started playin up and I got it home I played with it in the back yard sussin it out as best I could checking loom connections and hoses first thing I did was change fuel pump I can't remember if I checked for spark but I'd put money I did this was 2 years ago now

It was doin my head in coz at first it would start and run for only a few seconds or it would just turn over then at one point I turn the key to start and there was nothing like it was in drive or reverse so I jump out grabbed a bit of bar gave the starter a couple taps went turned the key and it fired up and ran for 5 minutes or so I moved it to a better spot in the yard and so this is pretty much how I use to get it going not all the time coz some times it would just start off the key like normal but if it just turned over sure enuf it would fire up an run with a couple taps and I'm not lying or exaggerating that's just how I'd get it to go but now this is where my main problem was the car sometimes would start and run like s**t as if it was only on 5 cylinders it would rev up a little if I put my foot on a bit but if I didn't it would idle down to a splutter and stall other times it would start a run like there wasn't a problem anyway I cracked the s**t with it parked it in the corner of the yard emptied the rad and left it I nearly sold it a couple months ago but the wanker wanted it for next ta nothing ya know what it's like so I said I'd keep it and get it going

And this is where the problem changed I put the battery back in it turn the key and it would fire but die instantly (my tap the starter with a bar trick) no longer worked and I started to regret not selling it to the wanker

And so this is where holding the starter came about. So at one stage it was starting but ran rough as if it was only on a few cylinders then splutter to a stop all within about 20 seconds I was getting the s**t and just held the starter on and it actually sounded as if it was running it would fire rev up then idle down as if it normal but I was holding the key with the starter going I got out felt for heat on the pipes and they were hot except for 1 an 8 I tried to check for spark but asking my mrs to come turn the ignition key for a few minutes was hard enuf and I rushed it and just though there was no spark or just weak yellow orange spark when I checked it again later by myself there was spark and those cylinders where now firing but then couple days later others weren't firing so I changed the plugs but it still wouldn't run

At this point I was trying to find and read everything I could that was related to my problem

I read on a forum that it could be the TFI so I decided to get a new one I changed it by loosening the power steering pump and moved it enuf to be able to turn the dizzy and get to the module bolts I marked the dizzy position I put the hoses and stuff back on I went and turned the key and to my amazement it fired up an ran but it no longer fires first flick of the key I guess the dizzy isn't back exactly were it was but its good enuff for now

Any way like I said when I put the belt on and filled the Rad up with water to flush it coz I was about to put a new water pump on i went to start it and it was back to running rough as guts and stalling took the belt of and it started sweet i put the belt on an off couple time just to make sure so I then just took the cable and plug off the alt put the belt on and it started sweet

So again after 2 years all I had to do was take belt off and I would of found the problem I never would of thought a alternator would cause that sort of issue

Sorry for the long story I hope it all makes a little more sense

I havnt tried this other alternator yet to see if it's gonna run with it connected but when I doit I'll post the result

What ya said about the leaking diodes messing with the Ecu sounds about right
Is there a way to check my alt while it's still on the car before I take it off I might try fix it later if it's worth it and it would also just be nice to know what went wrong with it

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:33 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Howdy so I changed the alternator on the car and she fired up and run good for a few minutes and then sadly started playing up again same symptoms as before as in started idling rough like only firing on few cylinders and then stalling

I restarted it and it idled away nicely again gave it a little rev and then it stalled when coming down

While Iv been doing this Iv seen the volt meter on the dash go to around 13/14 volts

So I started it again same thing idled away then ran rough and stalled I removed the 2 pin plug on the alternator and started it and it ran with out a problem till I turned it off

Can anyone help me understand what's going on with this thing is there a simple solution to why it's doing this or how I can narrow it down

I know one of the wires in the plug runs the battery light in the dash and I think the other goes to the battery terminal but I'm not sure. does this wire tell the alternator to send power out

Does the cable on the back of the Alt put power directly into the battery and then the car feeds off the battery and is there anything on that cable that could cause these symptoms

Any help would be appreciated and sorry if I'm asking silly questions

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:34 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

You need to get back to basics.
What is the resistance from the battery negative post to the engine block?

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

How ya goin xr9 its 0.1-0.3 resistance

Rod Hansen came round to have a look at it and done a few tests on the ECU and few other things and found that the hall sensor in the dizzy wasn't showing the right wave link or length

I showed him how it would run ok with the alternator plug out or serpentine belt off he agreed it was a strange one

I think robs gonna come round for another look at some stage and check a couple of other things before I pull the dizzy out

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:21 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks to rod Hansen aswell for taking the time to come look at

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2