Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Coil voltage rail.
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Hi folks.

I have pretty seriously blinged my car now to the point that very little remains of the Xr6T that I bought a couple years back. but one thing remains that defies solution. The crap idle.

To that end I lashed out on WeaponX and brisk racing silver plugs, but the weaponX 80kv coils don't seem to be getting fed properly from the +ve fuel rail.. so they don't really help much.

To that end I was thinking of putting my 2 Farad stiffening cap in the car and linking it to the ignition feed. I also have a Voltage booster that is supposed to up the voltage on the coil rail to 15-18 volts adjustable. I've read good things about the JMS/Herrod booster so I thought I'd try upping the voltage too.

Other things I've tried to fix the hunting and bad idle.
* 3 different throttle bodies, the lastest being an SS Inductions custom unit. didn't help.
* Intake manifold gasket replaced and checked for leaks. No leaks, but no difference either.
* Tune, the base idle is set much higher than factory falcon.. but the PCM seems to learn it's way back down again.
* Pedal box/throttle assembly, completely replaced made no difference.
* Brisk Racing LGS plugs. made from the highest conductivity metal known to man. (silver) didn't help.
* PCV valve tested perfect, all vacuum hoses replaced, brake booster replaced with FG unit in case the old one leaked.

Running out of things to check... nothing leaks, the engine goes like stink and sounds like a sewing machine now that the manky old BTR is gone in favour of the T56. just the damn idle driving me nuts.. worse because the flywheel is very light weight and it doesn't take much to stall the engine.

Would love to hear any suggestions you might have one and all.

Post subject: Re: Coil voltage rail.
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

What mods have you done to the engine, camshafts, software or is it still factory.

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

rod hansen wrote:
What mods have you done to the engine, camshafts, software or is it still factory.

The engine I don't know.. it had a turbo that had been moded but it appeared that many hot up parts had been pulled off and sold and it had serious overboost issues when I got it. I suspect at the least it has hardened valve springs and an oversized wastegate valve.

For what I have done.. it's a fairly long list.
* JTG Liquid LPG injection.
* SS Inductions oversized TB. (same problem as with the BF unit that was on it before)
* 42 pound ford injectors.
* 3.5 inch cat and removed middle muffler.
* extreme lightweight chromemoly flywheel and clutch.
* Tuned PCM based on datalog and wideband 02. (the tune is supposed to keep the car idling at 750 lowest, and it works great at first.. but then the car "learns" bad habbits and goes back to idling at 500rpm. It also drops revs hugely when you push the clutch in.. like stopping at lights, the revs dump down to 250rpm before going up to 500 again.. almost stalls every time. The tune runs 16psi.. LPG is 110 octane and it goes fantastic, it's just rubbish at idle

Loads of other little things that escape my memory right now, but all the plastic fittings are replaced with brass jobs, the PCV value and all hosts and intake checked for leaks. does it on both petrol and LPG.

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BF LPG UTE

WA, Australia

did you ever sort this issue?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]