Fordmods Logo

BA Ute LSD options - what do I need to know? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: BA Ute LSD options - what do I need to know?
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:00 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XL Manual Ute

TAS, Australia

So I recently purchased a BA XL manual ute (side style) - the open diff, while healthy, has to go. driving in the wet is difficult and I don't want to get bogged...

I would happily go with a Torsen centre in my existing diff but im not sure how easy that will be.

so I am looking for advice on whats involved with swapping in either an XR6T or XR8 rear axle

so far I think my car has a 28 Spline 3.25:1 open diff - and im looking for a 31 spline 3.45/3.73 LSD diff.

I don't think I want to bother with a cone style 28 spline LSD, I think I want clutch packs hence the 31 spline approach

so the questions:

1) Is what I have said above correct? How can I check what options my vehcile has? I have no tag on the diff...
2) My ute does not have ABS (99% sure - no light in dash but havnt locked the wheels yet) - so how do I calibrate my speedo, assuming that its signal is driven from the gearbox, not the wheels?
3) If I get an XR6T/XR8 rear axle, disc-to-disc, will it bolt right in? do I need to change anything else when going from the 28 spline to the 31 spline rear end?
4) How durable are the clutch pack diffs? will fresh oil enough or should it be rebuilt before installing it?
5) where in Tassie can I obtain such a diff and who can I take it to for a rebuild

edit: my diff has a sticker:
S/N: 0002304
3R23-4005-CC
334CC

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]