ef/el wiring harness, what plugs in & works with each other 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: ef/el wiring harness, what plugs in & works with each other
Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ford

SA, Australia

hi everyone.

thinking of converting a ef fairmont to a v8 but will need to swap some wiring harnesses for other reasons too wether it happens or not.

oneday plan to finally wire up the door ajar sensors and was thinking of using fairlane floor harness and wondered if the nl fairlane floor harness will plug into a ef dashboard, inside behind dash firewall and engine bay harnesses, 2nd option is will a el ghia floor harness plug in ef dash and engine bay harnesses if you graft the door ajar sensor wiring.

with this behind dash harness on firewall on inside can you remove the 6 cyl one and fit the v8 one and will the plugs plug back in the way the old one did with the tcm plug just sitting there until the conversion day. and when grabbing the v8 one does it have to be out of a high series model or are they all same. and are they same between ef/el model.

will a nl fairlane or el ghia floor harness and el dashboard (part that plugs into speedo and bcm and dashboard bits) harness work with a ef engine bay harness and ef behind dash harness.

and is the v8 engine bay harness same between ef and el model.

if the v8 conversion goes ahead want to do as much preperation as possible while still having things work.

have a el fairmont dash harness in the shed in a box out of a v8 fairmont and only got the dashboard part that plugs into the bcm and speedo and think that part might be same as the 6cyl one.

didnt get the other part wich turns out that is the peice that has the tcm plug and was going to get a el ghia floor harness and graft the door ajar sensor wiring in or nl fairlane floor harness and wondered if that combo would work with the ef behind dash and engine bay harnesses.

will the ef climate control panel and trip computer work in the el model because like the black buttons and the el has grey

will a el v8 ecu work with ef ecu wiring and same other way

if anyone is able to help with any answers thatd really help alot

thanks

Post subject: Re: ef/el wiring harness, what plugs in & works with each other
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF11 Gli , EF Mont

VIC, Australia

car10001 wrote:
hi everyone.

thinking of converting a ef fairmont to a v8 but will need to swap some wiring harnesses for other reasons too wether it happens or not.

oneday plan to finally wire up the door ajar sensors and was thinking of using fairlane floor harness and wondered if the nl fairlane floor harness will plug into a ef dashboard, inside behind dash firewall and engine bay harnesses, 2nd option is will a el ghia floor harness plug in ef dash and engine bay harnesses if you graft the door ajar sensor wiring.

( short answer no. the big a*** white connection plug behind the drivers kick panel is different and the dash loom to the cluster has different plugs. the left side is a 2 plug)

with this behind dash harness on firewall on inside can you remove the 6 cyl one and fit the v8 one and will the plugs plug back in the way the old one did with the tcm plug just sitting there until the conversion day. and when grabbing the v8 one does it have to be out of a high series model or are they all same. and are they same between ef/el model.

will a nl fairlane or el ghia floor harness and el dashboard (part that plugs into speedo and bcm and dashboard bits) harness work with a ef engine bay harness and ef behind dash harness.

( nl floor harness you will have to cut and add wires from about the parcel shelf section as the reverse lights diverts up into the boot lid part of the harness. )

and is the v8 engine bay harness same between ef and el model.

if the v8 conversion goes ahead want to do as much preperation as possible while still having things work.

have a el fairmont dash harness in the shed in a box out of a v8 fairmont and only got the dashboard part that plugs into the bcm and speedo and think that part might be same as the 6cyl one.

didnt get the other part wich turns out that is the peice that has the tcm plug and was going to get a el ghia floor harness and graft the door ajar sensor wiring in or nl fairlane floor harness and wondered if that combo would work with the ef behind dash and engine bay harnesses.

will the ef climate control panel and trip computer work in the el model because like the black buttons and the el has grey

(should do)

will a el v8 ecu work with ef ecu wiring and same other way

if anyone is able to help with any answers thatd really help alot

thanks

Post subject: Re: ef/el wiring harness, what plugs in & works with each other
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Its a huge pain in the d**k, we put an el xr8 motor in an EF fairmont and its been a job I've repeatedly started and stopped and ran into numerous headaches. If you have a complete donor car side by side then you'll manage but getting bits and bobs is a pain. From the top of my head....

All behind dash wiring that plugs through the firewall will not match up. Would imagine due to the BCM differences between EF and ELs there would be no matching up of the floor harness.

The behind dash harness is not the same between EF and EL nor i6 or V8. Within the model, I think it is the same loom regardless of series (low-mid-hi). The ECU itself is the same for V8s but the through firewall plug is different for EF and EL.

You'll also find that in the engine bay the harnesses are different as well between EF and EL, and due to the differing ABS modules between the two you'll run into headaches there too, different plugs and wiring. The mechanical lines are different shapes and are run differently and I would imagine are rather high pressure so trying to just straight swap the module and use hoses and clamps would be hairy. If you find an easy solution to this problem please let me know lol

All your climate control stuff should be fine, everything is interchangeable and base model looms still have the plugs.

el v8 and ef v8 ecu plugs are the same and the ecu module itself is interchangeable but the rest of the firewall thru connectory thing is where the issue is. There's better explanations than what I can offer with most of this info stuff in the tech docs, that and a workshop manual and long periods of trial and error attempting electrical lego is how we figured most of this out.

Good luck. Its possible. But f**k me I wish I stayed EF-EF or EL-EL

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]