Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Cruise Control into an EF XR8
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF XR8 and XF Fairmont

New Zealand

Hi guys

Can I get some input with this please.
Basically I have a '96 factory XR8 that wasn't optioned with CC from the factory.

I have bought the necessary CC gear from a '96 Fairmont Ghia V8 including the steering wheel which has the buttons etc. Now I've fitted everything which was too easy as obviously the XR has the wiring and plugs for CC. There is a tech document on here which gives a brilliant explanation for fitting everything. I've sorted the Auto trans plug high up under my dash, cut it and joined the 2 wires together.

I got to the road test stage, got up to 80kph and hit the "cruise on" button...a light came up on the dash which is a good sign :D .

Then I hit the "+set" button - nothing happened, I can't get CC to work, have tried a few things now to no avail. Basically i've followed the diagnostics on the document, I'm useless with a multi meter so I read out the instructions while someone who can use a multi meter did the testing.

We got to K and there was some voltage between pins 5 & 10, next step - go to L - check vehicle speed sender circuit. (The resistance was well under 800 ohms).

How do I check the "speed sender and circuit"?. my speedo is working briliantly..wouldn't that suggest that the sender is ok?.

I'm lost, the fact that I'm using a CC module, throttle cable, steering wheel with buttons etc from a factory EF V8 and bolted it all up to a '96 XR8 that has the necessary wiring loom, brake pressure switch etc....and it's not working is doing my head in. Must be something so simple.

Anyone think i've missed something??.

Post subject: Re: Cruise Control into an EF XR8
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

Im gonna go with the brake pressure switch. At a guess, itll break contacts when brakes applied. So if you can just bare the wires a bit and short them out on that youll at least rule it out (or short the connector). Ive put this on a few cars years ago and always undid the blanking plug and let a few drips come out so as to not lock in an air bubble. Obviously, be ready to chuck it into neutral or turn it off if you do this. Also, Im assuming you're over the 40 or 50kmh when itll come on?
I too would be surprised if it wasnt getting a signal from the vss if everything else is working.

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Cheers mate, I actually got it sorted a couple of hours ago. I went through the diagnostic stuff that I had from on here. As a last resort I swapped the main module out for a 6cyl Ghia one and just connected the V8 throttle cable to it and went for a drive - PRESTO!

Faulty modulator.

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

And if you're posting the same thing over multi forums, do post the same initial info as well . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

snap0964 wrote:
And if you're posting the same thing over multi forums, do post the same initial info as well . . .

Sorry, thought I had done that.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]