Fordmods Logo

not starting 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: not starting
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon E L

QLD, Australia

iv had my el futura for a coiuple of months. 300000 ks .has ran and started perfectly. just did a coolant flush replaced thermostat and water pump. now the engine cranks over but wont start. any ideas ?

Post subject: Re: not starting
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:03 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Falcon ED 1994 SW

NSW, Australia

I'd check if there is a fuel line r electrical problem
Have you checked if the plugs receive the spark?
Did you wash the engine?

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:35 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Yes that was fuel and Spark but theredidn't appear to be pulsing at the injectors so possible tfm malfunction I ended up replacing distributor leads and plugs still wouldn't start and still no pulse at the injectors I did degrease and hose the front of the engine down before I started also the temperature gauge only workd intermittently I have replaced water pump thermostat and ordered a new temp sensor which should be here by this afternon the alternator did get wet when I removed radiator hose

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Washing engines bays is one of the greatest temptation one should master to resist.
Did you test the injectors with a noid light?
I guess replacing leads and plugs is part of generic general maintenance but they are unlikely to be the cause of a sudden no-start problem.
Same for the alternator. It is not going to be the main cause as your battery seems charged.
How did you check the fuel supply to the motor?
Did you replace the whole distributor assembly including the TFI module?
If you replaced the plugs before washing the engine, did you blow compressed air to dry the spark plug connections?

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:20 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

As asked by brik, did you replace the whole distributor with the TFI module or just the distributor cap? Have you checked your coil for spark? Check all your earth cables.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:21 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Engine was starting and running perfectly until I replaced water pump then was cranking but no start. Then the injectors were checked with a test light.after that I replaced the whole distributor (including cap'rotor 'Tfm) , leads and plugs. The fuel was checked by pulling out the line under the passenger front floor then turned key and fuel was pumping out . I washed the front of engine before removing water pump. Didn't check coil as even the old plugs had heaps of spark I pulled them out 1by1hookd the lead back on and cranked engine had heaps of spark.

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:43 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

The water pump replacement has nothing to do with the symptoms of your car.
Washing the engine bay probably has.
If it was me, I'd have done some detailed diagnostics before replacing anything, as every component you replace adds a new "?" on the possible factors. By removing one variable at the time you can narrow down the culprit.
I had a similar problem the day I learned that the high pressure washer should be restricted to washing the patio! The engine would not start. I dried the whole engine bay with compressed air but nothing changed. There was no spark. The problem was the ignition coil which is in the most ridiculous position I have ever seen. The Ford Engineers must have been given a bonus for ensuring that all the critical components that were likely to fail, were as far as possible out of reach to ensure a boost to Ford maintenance/repairs sales. The Bosch ignition coil looked perfectly fine but with a 20x enlarging lens a hairline crack could be seen. Water had entered that crack and fried it.

Going back to your unpleasant dilemma, I still think it can only be a fuel or spark problem. What else is there?
So you have fuel gushing out of fuel line under the passenger seat. That is a bad place to test it because gravity and vapour pressure in the tank can make fuel gush out (for a short time). Go to the rail and disconnect the rubber hose that feeds the rail. Secure the tube in a large 2 litre bottle (tightly secured..and always have a fire extinguisher near!) and crank the engine. If the bottle fills you have permanently eliminated the fuel to rail variable. Note that the fuel pump pressures the fuel up to around 40psi, so if you don't have a good jet of fuel, the pump could be the problem (but I think it unlikely in your case)
Now you have the injectors. Get or borrow a noid light (they are under $10 and you should not be without one) and fit it, in turn, to each connector. if you get the intermittent blink you have eliminated the fuel supply issue (unless, suddenly all fuel injectors are blocked or have died..extremely unlikely)
Another thought. Could you have contaminated fuel? eg: water
After turning the engine remove a spark plug and check if it is wet with fuel.

E L Falcon wrote:
I washed the front of engine before removing water pump. Didn't check coil as even the old plugs had heaps of spark I pulled them out 1by1hookd the lead back on and cranked engine had heaps of spark.

Now to the more likely problem: the spark in the cylinder chamber and the distributor.
You make reference to "the old plugs". Have you done the test on the new plugs?
If you replaced the dizzy you probably know about the TDC, the timing light etc. Even if it is not aligned you should get a rough idle.

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

up date this morning i fitted the new water temp sensor which i went to pick up befor i started the water pump but they got the wrong one in finally got the correct one Friday arvo. any way put the new one on and the car is running again. it still seams strange as the car was starting before water pump replacement. any way thanks for the advise very much appreciated

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]