XH Falcon and Smartlock ... I need understanding 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: XH Falcon and Smartlock ... I need understanding
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1998 XH Ute

New Zealand

Hi all.

I'm new to Falcons and have had some trouble understanding the workings of the Smartlock system on the older Falcons … specifically the 1998 XH that I have.

As explained below, I need new door locks and would like to get a new ignition as well - I want to know if I'm going to run into trouble doing this with the aftermarket locks (from someone like Ace Auto Parts in Melbourne).

I understand the general operation of the Smartlock system, no issues there. However there are a few things that don't make sense to me - my situation is summarised as follows:

1. I have no remotes for locking/unlocking the car.

2. The driver door lock has been replaced with a non-XH door lock and is not electronically connected to the vehicle.

3. The passenger door lock is broken and the door can only be opened from inside the car by pulling the interior door handle. When I pull the internal handle, there is a sound of an electric motor actuating and the lock releases - same noise happens when the passenger door is locked by pushing down on the door lock button on the top of the door sill.

4. When I get in the car, the Smartlock symbol is flashing on the dash - insert the key, light goes out and vehicle has not failed to start since I've owned it.

My assumptions are this:

1. Smartlock is working as it should - this is based on the dash light and also that one of the fuses popped and the Smartlock light on the dash went out, car would turn over but not start. Replaced the fuse and it started as it always has. I believe that this is expected behaviour.

2. The car likely had key-operated central locking at some stage and with the replacement of the driver door lock, this has been disabled (this thinking driven by the electric motor noises from the passenger door). I've had a brief look inside the driver door and cannot see any wiring for this.

I have been told by several people that without the remote to disable the Smartlock system, the engine should not start - this is obviously not the case. I've also read that it's a couple of infrared sensors that activate when the key is turned.

Two things I need to know are:

1. Will replacing the door and ignition locks will have any effect on the Smartlock system and starting the vehicle? If someone can explain why (or why not) that would be much appreciated.

2. How best do I get the central locking back up and running - aftermarket of do I salvage from an EL or EF?

Loving driving it - just old enough to be fun and new enough to be useful!

Cheers,
R.

Post subject: Re: XH Falcon and Smartlock ... I need understanding
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

1. Will replacing the door and ignition locks will have any effect on the Smartlock system and starting the vehicle? If someone can explain why (or why not) that would be much appreciated.
All that is required is that the IGN key barrel operate so the IR circuitry operates to send the codes to the BEM.

2. How best do I get the central locking back up and running - aftermarket of do I salvage from an EL or EF?Be best to get the factory setup together and working properly - the XH's use EB-EL locks and actuators, XHI's (except 'S' and XR)were key locking - both actuators would operate, XHII's had a keyfob, again same as the EB-EL's. The internal link rods were different due to the XF style doors.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:42 am 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Thanks for the response, very much appreciate the help.

If I understand correctly, the IR circuitry is separate from the key barrel - I haven't dismantled it yet as I fear that it may not work when I put it back together!

I also haven't established whether mine is an XH or XHII - it's a GLi Longreach, and listed as a 1998 though in NZ all that means is that's when it was first driven on the road, not when it was manufactured.

Are there a couple of key differences that will tell me which version it is … maybe my Google search is inadequate, but I can't find any details that help me with answering this question!

As stated in my original post, there is no key fob, but given the current key/lock situation they may have simply been lost and replaced with a different drivers door key.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

The diagnosis connector top row 2nd last pin is only fitted to XH series II's - it's for smartlock keyfob training, for the low series models that don't have demist switches.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Apologies for lack of a speedy 'thank-you' reply ... been crazy at work.

Very much appreciate the help and am well on the way with ignition/door key changes and the door locks.

Cheers for the help.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Good luck with it.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]