Fordmods Logo

Problem reaching coil pack on EL falcon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Problem reaching coil pack on EL falcon
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I’ll start this off by saying I have minimal experience working on cars. When I went to change my spark plugs on a 97 EL falcon I got to the third plug and the boot was being stubborn and I ended up damaging it. No big deal I think to myself it could probably use new leads too anyway. I have the hayne’s manual and couldn’t find anything about changing the leads and very little relating to the coil pack. It basically just said something along the lines of pull it out to replace the pack.

So I went looking online and saw a thread on here saying to just remove the air intake and it’s a 15 min job to just pop the old leads off and put the new ones in. So I took that out and then it took me a while to find the coil pack. I assumed it’d just be there from what people said. When I found it I realised I’d seemingly need the hands of a seven year old to even reach the thing and if I could reach it I’d need to unplug and plug everything in by touch without seeing anything.

Is there some trick I’m missing or am I just outta luck having big hands and need to jack it up and come in from the bottom? Sorry if I missed a thread explaining this all I could find was that one thread and it was several years old and didn’t have much info.

Post subject: Re: Problem reaching coil pack on EL falcon
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Welcome to Fordmods. You'll have to get to it from underneath the car. Here's a previous thread:

ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/how-on-earth-do-you-remove-the-el-ignition-coil-t30525.html

I saw one person just hang the new coil off the bottom bolt when they couldn't reach the top one.
(Just to get the terminology right, coil packs are on the EF and AUs. The EA-ED & EL have ignition coils)

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]