Fordmods Logo

ELFalcon Radiator fan not kicking in at high speed when hot 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:09 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Ive witnessed my EL 97 Model go through 3 fan speeds.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:27 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

ok ..ok...ok......just went to my fathers house and he has a EL Fairmont Ghia 97 model. I have Falcon 97 model. Same fan setup on both. I took the Fairmont 97 fan relays out and did the following procedure successfully :http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=12 . As no fan was in operation, my fathers car heated up quicker while I saw the temp raise slowly. I took the temp upto 110 degrees with the guage needle between 'O' and 'R' (Normal). I got him to switch off the car totally. Reinstalled the fan relays as fitted before and got him to start the car within 30secs. Guess what...........the fan does not change speed at all in a non-problem car.It was still at 1400rpm..cruise mode. It did not kick in at high /cyclonic speed. From this test I conclude that the fans do not kick into high speed when above normal temp or hot. It is only when you switch on the A/C the fan kicks in cyclonic speed of 2300rpm. With minutes the car was reading 91-92degrees (Normal temp of running car). This is because fan was running and cooled the Fairmont.

Now I have just changed in my falcon with a newer thermostat from Tridon at 90-92 degrees just like the previous one put in recently. It was cooler today so I have to wait till a warmer day to see the temps. In the meantime I have hosed off the Radiator cores by removing the fan from both sides at garden hose spray speeds (pls dont tell me to buy a water blaster now..!)
I only have few things left to do as a final resort 1) use radiator flush Muckowt ..spend again on coolant...2) Use Davies Craig thermo switch as a last resort.
I do not like modifying or spending unnecessarily on a heating issue which can have only few things go wrong. Lets see until next warmer days. I will still be reading your opinions.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:32 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

You will get full fan speed when the engine gets close to overheating.

You could have had a bung thermostat or a blocked radiator.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Today was a hot day. I drove for more than an hour. I changed the thermostat within last two days. Within 35 mins the engine was running hot. Diagnostic mode on the dash read the temp as 105degrees(almost red on gauge). I switched on the air condition at full speed and the temp would not budge even under high speed fan for the next twenty mins when i reached my destination.

I will radiator flush in next few days and see what happens as I had my radiator fully serviced since I put the last coolant which is still clean. I am assuming if it does not fix the problem with the Mukowt flush then its the cylinder head which needs servicing with newer gaskets. Its been 10 years. The water pump does circulate water.I also do not lose water at the moment. I just pray the flush fixes the issue or else its many hundreds of dollars. Will keep all posted.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Today was a hot day. I drove for more than an hour. I changed the thermostat within last two days. Within 35 mins the engine was running hot. Diagnostic mode on the dash read the temp as 105degrees(almost red on gauge). I switched on the air condition at full speed and the temp would not budge even under high speed fan for the next twenty mins when i reached my destination.

I will radiator flush in next few days and see what happens as I had my radiator fully serviced since I put the last coolant which is still clean. I am assuming if it does not fix the problem with the Mukowt flush then its the cylinder head which needs servicing with newer gaskets. Its been 10 years. The water pump does circulate water.I also do not lose water at the moment. I just pray the flush fixes the issue or else its many hundreds of dollars. Will keep all posted.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:34 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

I could probberly pin point the problem if I was able to see the car.
Its a little hard to do it over the country. :(

Post subject: Re: ELFalcon Radiator fan not kicking in at high speed when hot
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Guys EL fans are single speed fans.

When you connect them individually to 12V they will run one speed, this is the high speed they run at. In this case they are connected in parallel where each fan is circuited directly to 12V via the relays.

When you connect the fans together ie... neg of fan1 to neg battery, pos of fan1 to neg of fan2, pos of fan2 to to pos battery, they are connected to run on low speed, In this case they are connected in series where 12V runs through both fans via the relays.

There are two normal relays and one changeover relay which does the changeover from low to high speed. Two neg signals from the ECU run the fan speed 0 1 or 2.

Enough theory.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

Like many forums there are a lot of people talking absolute BS. If you can read a circuit, look at the wiring. Even the Tech docs says this. 2 speeds. At low the fans run in series, and high they both get 12 volts each. If you cant comprehend this, buy a holden. ( and have an enema / lobotomy, same thing for a holden driver )

Regards 96ELGli

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

bass wrote:
Guys EL fans are single speed fans.

When you connect them individually to 12V they will run one speed, this is the high speed they run at. In this case they are connected in parallel where each fan is circuited directly to 12V via the relays.

When you connect the fans together ie... neg of fan1 to neg battery, pos of fan1 to neg of fan2, pos of fan2 to to pos battery, they are connected to run on low speed, In this case they are connected in series where 12V runs through both fans via the relays.

There are two normal relays and one changeover relay which does the changeover from low to high speed. Two neg signals from the ECU run the fan speed 0 1 or 2.

Enough theory.

This is correct. Sort of. One fan is single speed, one is two speed, it's the way they are wired which effectively gives you low and high speed. The two speed fan is the one with two orange wires and pink/white wire.

FOR EL - AU - BA (two speed fan is wired as single speed)
- In low speed mode, the fans are powered in series which means power is shared between them.
- In high speed mode, the fans are powered in parallel which means each fan has its own power supply.
The ecu switches the modes via the 5pin relay, so this relay must be in the correct location.

EF has a 4 relay setup and can additionally run the two speed fan on low speed.

I have recently fitted EF fans and relay block into my ED, but because I am running EL ecu which cannot run the two speed fan on low I had to completely rewire the relay block which involved pulling every terminal out and starting over. I have it all written down somewhere if anyone wants to attempt a similar mod.

Ported ED XR6 head shaved too much, AU gasket, custom Crow Cam, Pacemaker 4480's, 5-speed conversion, billet aluminium flywheel, GT clutch, T.I. Performance J3 chip, custom water/methanol injection, modified BA throttle body. Paint&Panel by Barbed Wire Fence.

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:35 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EBII Fairmont Ghia Wagon

VIC, Australia

Enough about how the god damn fans work that wasn't his main question. it was why isn't it going into high. I really want to know this answer myself. as I have an EB with el ecu and what not. And my fans don't kick on high leading the car to get to the H. Unless I turn the aircon on and it will bring it down until it ends its 1 minute cycle of high speed... I am curious how much of a temperature difference is there from say N - L on the temperature gauge. I really want to know why it won't kick onto high speed I really dislike the idea of overheating in traffic on a 26 degree day which is s**t.

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Hi,

I have always found that asking for answers or help gets more help than demanding the info. It may just be me though, but I can read a circuit diagram. Can you ?

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:41 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EBII Fairmont Ghia Wagon

VIC, Australia

Yes I can read one. Still doesn't help when all the main components have been replaced with new items and the same thing happens with temps getting to the H on a warm day in traffic.. maybe someone has an actual clue on the situation and what the actual high fan speed activation temp is

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Hi,

Test everything again, there are 3 relays and 2 control signals. You could even have an intermittent fault in something. One signal turns the Fans on, and the other runs them at High. An ECU reset will often get them running normally ( this issue has been Posted a number of times before ) so if everything works from the ECU, either it is faulty or it is getting a wrong input. As a temp fix I would put in a bypass circuit, and run it from a switch on the dash, or a thermal switch in the cooling system. Either way it will prevent it from overheating. The fans should also run when the car is stationary and the AC is on.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:13 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XH Falcon Ute

VIC, Australia

hey sorry to drag an old thread up - but in reading this I'm pretty keen on testing out my fans.

'snap' suggested using "10c resistor" on the coolant sensor - what is a 10c resistor? Sorry - I'm not aware of what this is - thanks

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2