289 V8 modification 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: 289 V8 modification
Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon 1966 XR

SA, Australia

Hi all,

First post for me and wanted to get your thoughts around ability of the 289 V8. I've got one in my XR Falcon project car which is getting painted soon. I want to keep the project old school and have decided to commit to the 289. I know I could stroke it or put a 302 or 351 in but I'm actually looking forward to keeping a 289.

So since I am sticking with the 289 I'm starting to think about how to configure and modify the engine. I know these engines aren't torque monsters and are more happy to rev. Considering that I'm looking to do the following:

Upgrade heads
Upgrade Fuel and intake
Pacemaker extractors
Forged pistons
APR bolts

If I do the above but keep the stock crank and rods, or at the very least get an assemble kit from Eagle or Scat what do you think the little motor could reliably rev to? If had endless money I'd get forged or titanium rods etc but don't want to go crazy on the budget.

Any insights appreciated!

Cheers Tom

Post subject: Re: 289 V8 modification
Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

I had a 289 in my mercury coupe. Great donk, but not much stick. Why does it matter what it revs to though? If you want speed, as you said, grab a 351w and take it out to a 408. Otherwise, just a cheap rebuild. Standard heads, small cam, standard exhaust manifolds. Just do intake manifold, new carby and dissy and it'll be sweet.

Was without a doubt the most bulletproof engine I've ever had. Poor thing would regularly rip single peggers cold in my younger years.

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

93_eb_fairmont wrote:
I had a 289 in my mercury coupe. Great donk, but not much stick. Why does it matter what it revs to though? If you want speed, as you said, grab a 351w and take it out to a 408. Otherwise, just a cheap rebuild. Standard heads, small cam, standard exhaust manifolds. Just do intake manifold, new carby and dissy and it'll be sweet.

Was without a doubt the most bulletproof engine I've ever had. Poor thing would regularly rip single peggers cold in my younger years.

That mercury coupe sounds awesome 93_eb_fairmont ! And I agree with the speed equation... I think the 408 it one of the best options you can go for. I guess if I'm honest about the revs it's not for any practical or ultimate performance reason other than I just like the thought of a high revving 289, and the sound! Would just be good to know what people have been comfortable pushing the 289 to!

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:08 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia V8

VIC, Australia

All depends on what parts are used, especially stuff like valve springs, cam etc. But Windsor bottom ends are pretty tough and 6500 rpm shouldn't be too hard. But plenty of potential to go higher if need be.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: AUII XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

Yeah it was a sweet rig.
If you're still tossing up what to do, a mate of mine hangs around griffs American cars here in ballarat. Google them, they're pretty well known. Said mate is in the same dilemma with a power up on an older resto (I was and still am trying to get him into an au xr8 donk) but he tells me of a galaxy they had with a 289 pushing 400hp on a dyno na and with street manners.

I don't really buy it, but Griff's are nice blokes and deal with galaxies, speibts and early mustangs so they see and play with 289s a fair bit. Could be worth a call.

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

NLGHIA5.0 wrote:
All depends on what parts are used, especially stuff like valve springs, cam etc. But Windsor bottom ends are pretty tough and 6500 rpm shouldn't be too hard. But plenty of potential to go higher if need be.

Good to know NLGHIA5.0 - I think if I could get it to 7000 rpm I'd be pretty happy with that. I got a reply from SCAT after I inquired about their rotating assemblies. This is what they said:

"I would recommend a maximum of 8000 RPM with our 4340 forged internal balance rotating assembly such as the one I quoted. If you would like a 9000 series external balance rotating assembly, I would recommend no more than 7000RPM."

It does get pretty pricey for the forged internally balanced unit :shock:

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

93_eb_fairmont wrote:
Yeah it was a sweet rig.
If you're still tossing up what to do, a mate of mine hangs around griffs American cars here in ballarat. Google them, they're pretty well known. Said mate is in the same dilemma with a power up on an older resto (I was and still am trying to get him into an au xr8 donk) but he tells me of a galaxy they had with a 289 pushing 400hp on a dyno na and with street manners.

I don't really buy it, but Griff's are nice blokes and deal with galaxies, speibts and early mustangs so they see and play with 289s a fair bit. Could be worth a call.

Holy Moses - 400hp out of 289 that is still well mannered! I find it hard to believe as well but I want to! I'll check them out 93_eb_fairmont

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:41 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia V8

VIC, Australia

XR66 wrote:
NLGHIA5.0 wrote:

Good to know NLGHIA5.0 - I think if I could get it to 7000 rpm I'd be pretty happy with that. I got a reply from SCAT after I inquired about their rotating assemblies. This is what they said:

"I would recommend a maximum of 8000 RPM with our 4340 forged internal balance rotating assembly such as the one I quoted. If you would like a 9000 series external balance rotating assembly, I would recommend no more than 7000RPM."

It does get pretty pricey for the forged internally balanced unit :shock:

If you are going to the cost of buying a new crank then why bother staying with the stock stroke? It can go to 347. Then you don't need the thing to rev and it would make a better street motor.

If staying with a 289 just because, you may as well just get the stock bottom end recoed. Done properly there's no reason why 7000 rpm shouldn't be possible. Plenty of guys in Mustangs running stock bottom ends to 7000. Just get the crank redone and the rods cleaned up and use some good ARP rod bolts. And some new pistons and have the whole lot balanced properly.

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:40 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Just remember that 289's don't have the extended lower end of the cylinders like a 302 block does so, piston support is not so good.
If you want to stay with a short deck engine you may aswell build a 331 or 347 stroker out of a 302 block and just tell everyone it's a 289. What makes the decision easier still is that the reconditioning costs of your 289 rotating assembly make it un-viable when you consider a new rotating assembly from Scat(I wouldn't use Eagle) costs about the same and is stronger.

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Or go the other way ? Good light pistons, valve gear 110*LSA cam 220 or so timing ., 3.45 rear and let it REV . The 302 has shorter rods . Keep the longer rod or 5.4” depending on pin height. Don’t worry about pin in oil control ring . There’s ways around that !! Back in the 70’s the 220 v8 in NZ stock cars with Westlake heads made 500 hp at 10,000 rpm ., High maintenance. But sheesh !!

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: honda

QLD, Australia

I have a 68 mustang coupe https://arynews.tv/en/tag/imran-khan/ https://arynews.tv/en/tag/nawaz-sharif/ In-6 and i want to put a 289 engine in it. what all would i have to do to the suspension in order to make it work or would i have to do anything?

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: toyota

QLD, Australia

am exploring what options there are for improving the performance of my 68 Mustang.

Currently I have a 200 Cubic Inch single barrel straight 6 backed by a 3 speed.

My understanding is if I want to upgrade to a v8 say a 289 that I would have to upgrade the whole under carriage (rear end, drive shaft, leaf springs, engine mounts, a-frame, springs, suspension, front end etc - $$$$

Other option is to look at staying with a 6 cycl looking at one that is bigger or just rebuilding the one I have. Also is it possible to attach a 4 speed to a 6 cycl or is that just over kill.

RAD 140 Results

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]