Fordmods Logo

gas turbo 

Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
And yes If you have a GRA on an atmo car and decide to turbo it later on down the track then all you have to do is get the carb retuned and the ignition timing adjusted. They do all of that when they stick your car on the dyno anyway.

That's the peice of info I was after! :lol: Gunna go get a price of a GRA underbonnet kit/system thigno now. With my petrol playing up and current LPG in not such flash condition, it's probably worth going LPG only witha decent system (and parents offered to loan me the money).

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

What about the computer control or ECU or whatever you wanna call it on LPG? If you had say a GRA set up and you added a basic turbo set up would you still need an aftermarket ECU or would the GRA LPG controll unit and the standard ECU be enough?

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: XW

WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
What about the computer control or ECU or whatever you wanna call it on LPG? If you had say a GRA set up and you added a basic turbo set up would you still need an aftermarket ECU or would the GRA LPG controll unit and the standard ECU be enough?

Gas runs like a carbie. There is not ecu for it.
You just need some sort of aftermarket ignition.

Im gunna finger bang bang your mumma too

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

I have a few gas fitter mates who I have been talking to recently about dedicated gas setups for my V8, while also lookin at I6 setups for the purpose for forced induction.
The main guy i have been talking to has so far only done setups for a 351, as he went and got his ticket just so he could do his car (wanted to be able to say he done it all himself) Have yet top talk to him about setups for a 6.

but Im assuming if i bought a stocka 6 with a s**t gas setup, I would only have to change the under bonnet components yeah?

With the set up I am looking at for my V8, it costs roughly $1800 for the under bonnet crap, add another 200 or so for the lines, and then add the cost of ya tank. Which you could try get one 2nd hand that is still in date for sfa. And i am assuming it will be roughly the same $$ for a 6?

Also with head work, gas likes higher compression, but turbos like lower compression. So i am assumin with head work that Id get done to not increase the compression, but just open up teh ports for better flow. Is that right?

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Jase wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

Gas runs like a carbie. There is not ecu for it.
You just need some sort of aftermarket ignition.

Were do I find more details on aftermarket ignition? E.g. price and that.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Not sure, MSD is a popular choice round here.

Not sure if they have a site. Google it perhaps?

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Jase. Some of the Gas turbo big hitters are running static comp inbetween 8.7 and 9.0:1. You don't want to go to high and you don't want to go too low. Too high and you can't run big boost due to pinging. Too low and the car will go like a lightswitch. Flat out or gutless. The above compression zone is safe for both petrol and LPG. Petrol being closer to 8.7:1 and lpg being anywhere in that zone.

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Jase wrote:
Not sure, MSD is a popular choice round here.

Not sure if they have a site. Google it perhaps?

http://www.msdignition.com/

So how come turbo LPG vehicles need an aftermarket ignition system?

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Because LPG has different timing requirements than petrol. Not to mention it requires a greater spark.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: xf

NSW, Australia

it is not essential to get an aftermarket ignition system but it is recommended to get the absolute most out of LPG but your normal ignition would be ok and to upgrade that you get your dizzy regraphed
but yer stockas ignition would be ok for a while... AFAIK
cheers

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

spack-pilot wrote:
it is not essential to get an aftermarket ignition system but it is recommended to get the absolute most out of LPG but your normal ignition would be ok and to upgrade that you get your dizzy regraphed
but yer stockas ignition would be ok for a while... AFAIK
cheers

Problem is my cars short of a dizzy - EF, runs coil pakcs.

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:29 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EA falcon

VIC, Australia

My cars supercharged running straight gas (twin convertors), EF coil pack setup with stock ignition and am also running quite high compression aswell and haven't had a problem. Tho the next thing on my list is installing a haltech :)

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

The GRA carbies are about $500 a pop new, shipped to you and as has been said, can be changed to flow from 350 to about 500 cfm iirc. I'm running one on the turbo setup i'm building for my Torana, just suck thru atm. Converting an old late 70's turbo setup from petrol to lpg, for now. Later will go blow thru with a FMIC, and don't have to change the gas carby! :D

I would love to turbo my EB, but i have a problem, it's got an LPG INJECTION setup, and AFAIK, the lpg regulator won't run under boost pressures. :( What a shame!

If you don't wanna spend up big on lower comp pistons, you might be able to get a copper head gaskit / shim that will drop the comp down just enough to be safe, and if you don't want to run a IC to start with, you could run a water injection setup, as i am going to do on the torana. Basically cause i can't run a IC in suck thru, and b/c i'm not dropping the comp yet, it's 9.2:1, but should be fine upto about 7-8psi without water injection, and possible 10-12 psi with water injection. Just don't let the water tank run out, lol! I'm also getting a VK electronic dizzy setup regraphed to suit the turbo setup, good enough for the job and not too pricy to start with.

Some food for thought?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3