Fordmods Logo

Boost controllers 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Boost controllers
Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

I've been looking for some info on Boost controllers but have come up with not much. I was hoping some wise Fordmods members could help our with some info.
I've currently got my Wolf 3d controlling the boost through its boost controller setting. The big let down in the system is that it doesn’t reference from the actuall boost the car is running, all it does is bleed off more or less air depending on RPM. I can get it to hold steady boost in first gear, but after that the next gears are all up the putt.
So my question, is there actually well priced devices out there that will control my wastegate in relation to the actual boost the car is running?

Thanks

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA

NSW, Australia

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Maybe get someone else to tune the boost on your wolf. Mine never had any trouble.

A manual controller wont be any better, the next option is an Electronic boost controller, but your looking upwards of $500.

Ive got an Eboost2 and it works well.

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

What gate are you using? As long as its a decent type and not a chinatown rippoff then you should have rock steady boost in all gears.
The wolf should reference boost from its inbuilt map sensor and that should be running straight off the manifold pressure line, as it most likely is
Eboost are very accurate and heaps of poeple use them, Apexi AVR is my fav boostcontroller and is one of the best on the market... shame Im too tight to buy one lol

Have you tried not using the wolf boost control?

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: xf

NSW, Australia

im sure the wolf uses an electronic solenoid type thingy that controls boost pressure and when you dial in a new pressure with the hand controller it changes it until MAP is where you want it...
sounds like somethings not wired up right...?

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

spack-pilot wrote:
im sure the wolf uses an electronic solenoid type thingy that controls boost pressure and when you dial in a new pressure with the hand controller it changes it until MAP is where you want it...
sounds like somethings not wired up right...?

I wish, the wolf operates and electronic pulse width modulation solenoid, which is only controlled by RPM. so at 3500 rpm it is opening and shutting at one speed, and at 4000 RPM it is at a different speed, it does have engine and air temp compensation tables but that’s it. In a perfect world it would vary dependant on manifold vacuum/boost, similar to how the idle speed controller works... It seems a little silly, as the Wolf does have its own MAP sensor, so it does no what is going on boost wise.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]