Fordmods Logo

Retro fitting a newer EFI to an XE EFI...is there any point? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Retro fitting a newer EFI to an XE EFI...is there any point?
Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:34 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

heyo all,

i have a 1984 ZK EFI fairlane, would there be much imporvemant to replace the bosch L-jetronic with a XF or even EA EFI system?

cya
Rene.

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:08 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

itd be worth dropping an EF/EL motor in it.. alot of work tho

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:12 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1984 FD LTD

QLD, Australia

xf computer wont run a zk fairlane (i had the same idea) coz of the different fuel types that they needed to be tuned for when they had to make cars for unleaded.
i have also been told that the xf computer will use more sensors too - might explain why the zf efi seems to run better than xe / zk efi systems

Member Of "Team LWB"
FD: My Current Project

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... age029.jpg

ZL: A Work In Progress - that went to the tip!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... maller.jpg

Post subject: Re: Retro fitting a newer EFI to an XE EFI...is there any po
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Cruizin_Central wrote:
heyo all,

i have a 1984 ZK EFI fairlane, would there be much imporvemant to replace the bosch L-jetronic with a XF or even EA EFI system?

cya
Rene.

hi

worth having a look into that set up converting from a airflow meter to a map semsor set up

a bit of work involved but im sure the eec-4 EA would control the engine better than the older eec-4 havent heard of anyone doing it but would be nice to see how it works

speciallly with all the idle problems associated with the airflow meter eec4's models ( ie just lift the dipstick out of the tube while the motor is running it idles s**t and same as the oil filler cap just undo it slughtley it idles like crap and im sure all the seals on the engine are getting a liyyel hard :wink: )

and if you need any wiring diagrams there are some in this forum and ifyou cant find them i can send you some im sure you could get all the required parts from a wrecker ie all the sensors and ECU and some of the wiring loom that u need for the connectors.

the fuel system can basically stay the same ( ea multipiont injected version and the zk efi have the same fuel pressures so fuel system can stay the same )

have fun

cya

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:52 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

If you are going to try this, then don't use the XF bits unless you want keep running on 'leaded'

The XF system is almost as bad the XE, it is open loop so does not adjust the fuel very well because it has no O2 sensor. You would be much better off trying to adapt an EA/EB system, but unless you are good on the tools and the electrics it you will need to pay someone else a lot of money to do it.

I was going down the EA road, but have now opted for Megasquirt. (work in progress)

Post subject: MegaSquirt
Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

r00fi wrote:
If you are going to try this, then don't use the XF bits unless you want keep running on 'leaded'

The XF system is almost as bad the XE, it is open loop so does not adjust the fuel very well because it has no O2 sensor. You would be much better off trying to adapt an EA/EB system, but unless you are good on the tools and the electrics it you will need to pay someone else a lot of money to do it.

I was going down the EA road, but have now opted for Megasquirt. (work in progress)

hi

yes megasquirt is a good option but once again he needs to pay someone to tune it for him

where the eec-4 out of the ea or eb falcon would work straight of if wired up properly and cost next to nothing oif he purchased the whole lot from a wrecker ie all sensors wiring loom and ecu

keep us posted how you go with your megasquir
which megasquirt did u buy 1 or 2

cya

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:36 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

MS1

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Lets play spanners!.

The XF had the same crap air system as the XE, but it had a knock sensor. if your using it, then thats all good. if not, its a waste.

The EA one would work ok, but Id go the later EB pre 6/92 one so you get later code. TPS should bolt up. you'll need to change the IAC setup over (most likely easiest way is to use the EF item with TPS on the top of the throttle body). If you go with the EA/B Setup, just grab the entire engine bay harness from an EA, B, or D and the Engine harness as well.

In fact, now I think about it, your making so many changes youd probably have a lot of fun with Kalmaker. Use a Holden ECU, IAC, etc etc. And program it yourself. You can get so much from them.

Cheers

Nigel

Post subject: kalmaker
Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Nigel wrote:
Lets play spanners!.

The XF had the same crap air system as the XE, but it had a knock sensor. if your using it, then thats all good. if not, its a waste.

The EA one would work ok, but Id go the later EB pre 6/92 one so you get later code. TPS should bolt up. you'll need to change the IAC setup over (most likely easiest way is to use the EF item with TPS on the top of the throttle body). If you go with the EA/B Setup, just grab the entire engine bay harness from an EA, B, or D and the Engine harness as well.

In fact, now I think about it, your making so many changes youd probably have a lot of fun with Kalmaker. Use a Holden ECU, IAC, etc etc. And program it yourself. You can get so much from them.

Cheers

Nigel

hi

kalmaker is great holden tuning software

kalmaker software is expensive whether u buy street pro or the fullon workshop version

and you still have to buy all the commadore sensors and ECU

I think the guy just wants a a reliable Engine managment system that will just run a stand early EFI 4.1lt ford engine which a later model EEV-4 will do fine

Question do u have kalmaker and what version ??
have you ever fitted it to a ford ??
what success have you had if YES ??
who did you buy kalmaker from ??

cya

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Why go to all the expense of a Kalmaker?

http://www-personal.monash.edu.au/~ish/fleet/mods/mods.htm

I still think the EA/EB option would be easier though.....

Post subject: kalmaker
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

r00fi wrote:
Why go to all the expense of a Kalmaker?

http://www-personal.monash.edu.au/~ish/fleet/mods/mods.htm

I still think the EA/EB option would be easier though.....

hi

looking at ur project the Ghai hows that going any success with the kalmaker conversuion on ur car

yes have to agree the later model EEC4 will do the guys job fine

cya

Post subject: Re: Retro fitting a newer EFI to an XE EFI...is there any po
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:02 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

NSW, Australia

Cruizin_Central wrote:
heyo all,

cya
Rene.

to answer your question for the time and mucking about i dont reckon there would enough improvement to worry about it. i reckon either stick with that engine or if you are gonna keep the car and can afford some time and money then drop a newer six or eight in it or run a carby v8...

carby v8 in that thing would be easy and nice to drive.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]