Fordmods Logo

Electronic ignition to replace points factory? aftermarket? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Electronic ignition to replace points factory? aftermarket?
Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Hi all,
I've got a pre crossflow 2V 250 and its got points, and I'm sick of doing them every few months when the power starts to drop off etc. On American sites they talk about either Duraspark 2 factory distributors that `bolt right in..' or Pertronix modules that `fit in minutes'

I assume that some Ford factory electronic distributor in an Aussie model will also `bolt right in' but which one? and what ignition module do you use? Anyone who has actually done this conversion?

Also, on the Pertronix, any local version of these? Apparently you can buy the Pertronix one but they're like 200 bucks over here...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:27 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

electronic points are awesome! they are a real good replacement for the stock item for the very reason u have described and they wont be cheap, $200 aint bad at all for complete new elec dizzy :)

you might be able to buy a kit that replace the insides of your dizzy with electronic parts, or a whole new dizzy and control module.

sine you are running lpg it might pay to have the dizzy recurved to sui the lpg for more power and fuel econ :)

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeh, but $200 is just for a module thingo that sits inside your standard distributor... they're like 29 bux in the states....

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

The Pre Alloy head (XD-II) blocks used a different sized shaft. Apparently its possible to fit, but needs some work.

Nigel

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

thanks Nigel - I think the `bolts straight in ' version is the result of the yanks having the pre - xflow for quite a few years beyond us... Anyone know of an Aussie motor that can provide what I want?

Come to that, can the guts of an XD (or other??) dizzy be used in a pre xflow dizzy??

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:39 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
Yeh, but $200 is just for a module thingo that sits inside your standard distributor... they're like 29 bux in the states....

well buy it and get it shipped over then..

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:53 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 3 images

WA, Australia

I had an XP Ute that I fitted a pre crossflow 250 and 4 speed too, I was given an electronic dizzy from an XE Falcon, on inspection the only difference was the area that is used to lock the dizzy into position once the timing is set, the pre crossflow model was round on the locking area and the crossflow one had a section protruding (basically an extended "D" type shape) to allow for the bolt to lock it in place, all we did was machine the locking area on the later model to the same diameter as the original one, in simple terms we machined the "D" shape on the shaft to an "O" shape, if fitted straight in and as far as I know its still running!!!

The engine started first time everytime, I can definately recomend this as a cheaper alternative to buying a new dizzy, with the amount of second hand 250 crosflows out there you will surely find one that is in decent condition, unless you want to start extracting some big horsepower this would be the best way to go in my opinion.

Rex

Rex

"It wasn't me it was the other three"

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

i would also recommend replacing it with an electronic ignition distributor off an xe/xf, if they bolt in.
Bosch may still do them brand new on certain models.
If your points has a ballast resistor in-line with the positive wire, you will also have to remove this to fit electronic ignition.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EA Falcon

SA, Australia

Hi, all out there in Fordland. Searching for some info on EA to ED, 4.0 litre engine numbers. Have an EA, but am reasonably sure that it's been fitted with a later motor, but need numbers to confirm. Car is an '89 model, with a 4.0l in it. looking to mod it, but want to know what I've got, before I start stuffing 'round with it. Thanks, kiwi Roy!

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EA Falcon

SA, Australia

Hi, all out there in Fordland. Searching for some info on EA to ED, 4.0 litre engine numbers. Have an EA, but am reasonably sure that it's been fitted with a later motor, but need numbers to confirm. Car is an '89 model, with a 4.0l in it. looking to mod it, but want to know what I've got, before I start stuffing 'round with it. Thanks, kiwi Roy!

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

well if its an 89 model it deffinately did not leave the factory with a 4l motor in it,,the biggest they had was 3.9

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]