Fordmods Logo

tips on supercharging an ef? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: tips on supercharging an ef?
Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: turbo ef falcon

ACT, Australia

hey just wonderin whats recommended with supercharging an ef? i'v looked at some kits on capa.com but not sure what engine mods i will need? can get my hands on a stage 4 cam off my mate coz he just got his ef turbo'd running 6lb hes got about 200rwkw but needs to get rid of his cam to tune it properly and pump more boost.. is that a wise choice or because hes run it in it would be a bad move? hes had it running for about 3 months. what mods would u reccomend b4 getting it blown? i dont want to get a lethal 300kw monster or anythin out of it, would be happy running 6lb just dont want to have to spend heaps on the engine then another 5g on the blower. incase u havent realised i dont know too much so would appreciate any help or comments :D my budget is about 5g.

p.s. if u think i could put a couple grand in the motor for good results instead of forced induction what would u reccomend?

I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick. Not wounded. Dead.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Tips...

1. $5k is not an appropriate budget
2. Keep the motor stock, best bang for your buck is bolting a supercharger/turbo onto a stock engine.
3. See point 1.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

yeah i'd probably agree with Martin on this one.
5k would be pushing it for the whole setup.
I did mine cheaper in some ways, so it is possible, but you've probably got to hunt around.
If you can find a blower cheap, either s/h or reco'd from CAPA it could save some money, and build the rest of the kit up, to suit your own needs.
Thats what i have done myself, and saved a few grand in doing it. Just do what i did, ask questions around this website and the guys will help you out, like they have with me. I might even be able to contribute!!!!!

BTW, i'm gathering its a 6, if you can find yourself a Vortech blower, i've got the 6cyl brackets and pulleys for a Vortech, sitting here for sale, very cheap! :wink:

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: turbo ef falcon

ACT, Australia

hey thanks heaps fellas, yeah i thought 5 grand was a little low, i might save up a bit more but dont wanna go over board... any suggestions on what i could do with that same budget keeping it naturally aspirated? or would a cheaper turbo kit be the go? keen to get about 160+ rwkw
thanks again

I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick. Not wounded. Dead.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

A turbo kit would probably be a bit cheaper than a Supercharger, but they're not too far off. It all depends on the quality of parts you buy.
You should be able to get 160rwkw N/A for less than 5k.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

presto wrote:
hey thanks heaps fellas, yeah i thought 5 grand was a little low, i might save up a bit more but dont wanna go over board... any suggestions on what i could do with that same budget keeping it naturally aspirated? or would a cheaper turbo kit be the go? keen to get about 160+ rwkw
thanks again

I would run a basic turbo kit consisting of a modified stock exhaust manifold (very cheap if you can weld it up yourself) and a T04 or similar turbo. You only need 6psi or so to get the power you want so you don't need to go nuts, keep it simple and you can have a low cost basic turbo setup. For the tune either go for a chiptorque chip, or if you have enough money look at something like an EMS Stinger EEC.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]