XE Interceptor Block question 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: nascar block
Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:57 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

FPV_GTp wrote:
hi

yes the four bolt mains cleveland nascar block was fit in some of the last XE series cars ( they come out in 302's and 351 cleveland combinations )
so i wouldnt be supprised if the intercept had them also.

I have wrecked several XE ESP's in my time and discovered this and the engines where orginal units from the day they where released from the ford factory

where the starter motor bolts up to the bellhousing in that corner of the block should be casting numbers of the nature XE19_____ something cant remember the rest if so u have scored a cleveland nascar block good deal the blocks alone fetch between $1500 to $ 2000 for virgin cylinder bores.

to veiw the casting numbers u will have to remove the starter motor as its not viewable otherwise

guys note nascar blocks where made in australia for the early XA onwards racing teams in the early 1970's that was the best block around for its time then for the clevelands back then in the 1970's through to the 1980's new ones where getting $1800 to $ 2800 but now htere are some very good aftermarket blocks around better than what ford brought out.

cheers guys

I was speaking to Ian Stockings and Bill Santuccione and also Robin Searls at a pre Bathust dinner and none of them remember any four bolt blocks going into production cars ( except for the one for the phase fours). And i have also rung Ford for comfermation on the same matter and they carn't find anything in there records. So i would like to find out more about this car or cars you have seen them in. Also none of them have heard of Clevo blocks comeing out of Mexico.

XC-GXL 387 12.04 @ 114

Post subject: Re: nascar block
Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Big John wrote:
FPV_GTp wrote:
hi

yes the four bolt mains cleveland nascar block was fit in some of the last XE series cars ( they come out in 302's and 351 cleveland combinations )
so i wouldnt be supprised if the intercept had them also.

I have wrecked several XE ESP's in my time and discovered this and the engines where orginal units from the day they where released from the ford factory

where the starter motor bolts up to the bellhousing in that corner of the block should be casting numbers of the nature XE19_____ something cant remember the rest if so u have scored a cleveland nascar block good deal the blocks alone fetch between $1500 to $ 2000 for virgin cylinder bores.

to veiw the casting numbers u will have to remove the starter motor as its not viewable otherwise

guys note nascar blocks where made in australia for the early XA onwards racing teams in the early 1970's that was the best block around for its time then for the clevelands back then in the 1970's through to the 1980's new ones where getting $1800 to $ 2800 but now htere are some very good aftermarket blocks around better than what ford brought out.

cheers guys

I was speaking to Ian Stockings and Bill Santuccione and also Robin Searls at a pre Bathust dinner and none of them remember any four bolt blocks going into production cars ( except for the one for the phase fours). And i have also rung Ford for comfermation on the same matter and they carn't find anything in there records. So i would like to find out more about this car or cars you have seen them in. Also none of them have heard of Clevo blocks comeing out of Mexico.

hi

i found out by accident when one of my young apprentices purchased a XE ESP V8 302/auto and he one night decide to pull his motor out and rebuild it and put a set of 351C crank and rods into when i arrived at work the next morning he had the engine stripped on the engine stand and i noticed the casting numbers , i said to him this is a nascar block cause i spotted the 4 bolt main caps and the casting numbers he didnt belive me and then i pionted out to him one of my race engines and he was over the moon, the numbers on the block that ford stamped on it at the front passenger side match his chassis numbers , so thats wnwhen i started looking at all V8 fiarlanes, ltd and falcons for nascar blocks.

have still sveral myself

i had wrecked ( total right offs ) several and still have the blocks
Mick Webb when he was involved with ford racing the allan moffatt and d**k johnsons years was sell the blocks out of shop out preston ( NEW )way on bell street dont know if the shops still there i purchased one of here years ago also.

all the drag racing guys went crazy on them

But i can asure you ford in there last cleveland V8 XE series cars where dumping every thing and and anything in the last V8's cars when they decided to stop production on the V8 cars and Ford racing went backwards

cheers

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

i had a 302 xe esp and it just had a standard block but have come across 4 bolt blocks in 80s broncos only twice but come to think of it i probally only pulled 2 down lol i know some of them old 74 ltds had heaps of weird left over things some had4v heads others 31 spline diffs others 4 bolt blocks i think back in the good ol days they just fitted what they had in stock

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

i never pulled my sump off, but now i wish i did.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Post subject: Re: XE Interceptor Block question
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tsopanos wrote:
Hello
I've been offered an XE interceptor with the original running gear.
The guy seems to think that it's got a 4 Bolt Mains Block...is this correct?
Did all police XE interceptors come out with these blocks?
Is there any way of telling without removing the sump?
thanks

hi

the casting number is located on the outside of the cleveland block along the back where the bellhousing bolts to the corner along the sump rail not visiable if the starter motor is in , " XE192540 " this indicates its a Australian Nascar block , its a stronger version of the cleveland standard block but be careful there were alot of cylinder core shifts in those blocks also and they encounted cylinder wall thickness problems also

had one bore out to 30th and pin holes come through ok i know things rust from the inside out but still dont race of and buy one unless u have it 100% checked out , and u will find alot of them around with anything upto 6 sleeves been pressed into them .

and they still fetch a good dollar for the nascar blocks

cheers

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

IMO going a 30 thou overbore on any cleveland is asking for trouble....

Banned

Post subject: why 3oth rebore
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
IMO going a 30 thou overbore on any cleveland is asking for trouble....

hi

was just what i incounted with one of the nascar blocks i have had to have a sleeve fitted to that one

no more than 30th rebore on a cleveland production type block for any type of hi-performance applications but have it tested for wall thicks as well make sure u have a sufficent wall thicks and constancey ( even metal distrubtion )

another thing that amazes me is most machine shops take all blocks to 30th rebore , now i question when i send a block out for reboring ask them to call me back on what work there going to do to the block because before i send the blocks out i measure it for runout and taper myself very rarely do u find a 10th or 20th rebore on ford V8's makes u ask the question why??? i have found alot of blocks that will clean up on 10th and 20th rebores , so why do the machine shops just take it to straight 30th MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

just a thought there guys :?: :?: :?: :idea: :idea:

cheers

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2