Fordmods Logo

AU fairmont losing a litre of oil a week 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: AU fairmont losing a litre of oil a week
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:30 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Ok, My brother has a 1998 Au Fairmont 4.0L, 6 cylinder as per topic he is losing about a litre of oil per week. There are no obvious signs of oil leaking . Driveway is spotless. Exhaust is clear .No blue smoke at all.
Been to ford under warranty they can`t find anything. Warranty runs out in 78 kilometres, we think they are stalling for the warranty to run out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

make up a diary of like the last 4 months, like how many km its done every week and how much oils been used. Take the car to the ford dealer with the diary and tell them u want the car fixed before u get it back. Than ring the ford customer assistance hotline (the numbers in the owners manual) and make sure they log and record the call of u telling them its piss poor. Once uve done that its a pre-existing condition from before the warranty ends and they have to fix it. They wont wanna know u without that diary tho.

In regards to where its going, theres only really 3 possibilities
  • Outside the motor (external oil leak)
  • Into the Coolant (Blown head gasket, cracked head etc)
  • Into the combustion chamber and burning.

If its not leaking outside, and its not burning it, maybe it is going into the coolant, has this been checked?

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

xpression wrote:
make up a diary of like the last 4 months, like how many km its done every week and how much oils been used. Take the car to the ford dealer with the diary and tell them u want the car fixed before u get it back. Than ring the ford customer assistance hotline (the numbers in the owners manual) and make sure they log and record the call of u telling them its piss poor. Once uve done that its a pre-existing condition from before the warranty ends and they have to fix it. They wont wanna know u without that diary tho.

If its not leaking outside, and its not burning it, maybe it is going into the coolant, has this been checked?

Thats really good advice. thanks for posting that. I live in a western queensland town with a notable BAD ford service centre (southern cross ford) I used to detail for them and they used to joke over smoko about the people they had ripped off. And they have got worse since then.

It's an unfortunate fact that it seems that many ford dealers/service centres supply lousy service for warranty jobs. Is it just me or are ford service personel worse than other manufacturers?

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

xpression wrote:

All of the above checked by ford, now what.

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU Tickford Fairmont

QLD, Australia

I have a mate with a new commordore that was doing the same (I know its a holden), and he kept taking it back and back and back, eventually they just slotted a complete new engine from the factory into it. There were no visual signs of leaks, no smoke, etc. He kept asking them and they couldnt find anything wrong. After they did the engine change he asked what it was and they still didn't know, or if they did they werent going to let him know. But yeah make sure that it is all recorded and logged so that it is a pre-exsisting problem when warranty runs out

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

make sure u've rang the service line and had it logged
and tell them u havent been satisfied with the dealership, and ask them to reccomend a different one.

as for the slackness, i disagree, i work at a ford dealership and we take warranty claims as serious as retail work. (i guess thats the small town attitude coming in).

*waits for influx of warranty work*

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]