Temp variation 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:29 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Had a similar problem on my EL.

The temp would vary depending on depending on speed and load.

I replaced the temp sensor, and I havent had a problem since. It sits rock solid between the M and A like it did when I first got the car 4 years ago. When you think about it, its a thermistor that gets heated and cooled from one extreme to the other daily, so its bound to get old and react alot more slowly than when it was new.

And as a side effect, got better fuel economy and performance. It's amazing how a few degrees of temp with an incorrect reading can effect the way the car runs. So $30 well spent I think.

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

I dont know what you are complaining about. The Temp guage sitting between "A and M" on EL's is absolutely perfectly normal either Cold or Hot weather.

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

set the dash to diagnostic mode and the temp varied from 84-94deg its only a matter of 10 difference, im not all that bothered anymore, found that A is 90deg and L is about 85. basically its under 100 so i dont care!

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

ThinkTank wrote:
On some cars , My old XF falcon , my mates 1992 model 5 series BMW , and another mates nissan pulsa , when the temp gets to its normal temp it remains solid and never moves up and down, even if your thrashing around or driving slow, it will allways have a steady temp showing.

It seems that fords allways have very sensitive temp gauges

is this true?

I would say that while the falcon is a great car it's cooling system can leave a bit to be desired. I think the fan/radiator could be a bit small for the size of engine since in a typical high load situation (40 deg, aircon and idling at the lights after a blat) its sitting about 3/4 up the gauge and staying there untill the car gets up to speed again. (and yes the radiator has been flushed, clean fluid etc.)

Additionally some other car manufacturers adjust the temp gauge to make things look more normal than they really are. Eg. Subaru WRX's are especially bad for this as the ecu is often dumping heaps of fuel into the engine to keep it cool while the gauge is showing flat normal, this is sometimes part of the reason for the "I beat a WRX with my corrolla" stories. - Got this from the guy at Redline Oils.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:33 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I had the same problem after my head gasket was done. took it back to the work shop and they told me it happens to a lot of falcons after the repair. they put it down to the fact that every thing is new or clean and the system is working so well it show the slight variations.

i have a NF and when driving it sits on the A when i give it a boot or up a steep hill it climbs to the M as soon as i back off it drops to the A. after sitting at lights i take off and it drops to the L. DONT WORRY.

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:32 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL falcon - Skyline r33

NSW, Australia

Spork wrote:
ThinkTank wrote:
On some cars , My old XF falcon , my mates 1992 model 5 series BMW , and another mates nissan pulsa , when the temp gets to its normal temp it remains solid and never moves up and down, even if your thrashing around or driving slow, it will allways have a steady temp showing.

It seems that fords allways have very sensitive temp gauges

is this true?

I would say that while the falcon is a great car it's cooling system can leave a bit to be desired. I think the fan/radiator could be a bit small for the size of engine since in a typical high load situation (40 deg, aircon and idling at the lights after a blat) its sitting about 3/4 up the gauge and staying there untill the car gets up to speed again. (and yes the radiator has been flushed, clean fluid etc.)

Additionally some other car manufacturers adjust the temp gauge to make things look more normal than they really are. Eg. Subaru WRX's are especially bad for this as the ecu is often dumping heaps of fuel into the engine to keep it cool while the gauge is showing flat normal, this is sometimes part of the reason for the "I beat a WRX with my corrolla" stories. - Got this from the guy at Redline Oils.

Very interesting read , thanks.

It's set up like a deck of cards, They're sending us to early graves. For all the diamonds, they'll use a pair of clubs to beat the spades.

RATM

Post subject: Been there done that ...
Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

If you have done all of the other bits around your cooling system an put in the correct coolant, the other thing you can check is if your fan clutch is working. 8-)

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

Yeah the only worry about it running to cool is you might lose a bit more fuel economy thats all. But other than that nothing to worry about unless you start getting readings in the "R" part then get things checked out at a Rad place.

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2