oil plug wont undo 

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

Doghead wrote:
Go get a sump plug today and change your oil tommorrow when your engine - and your oil is cold. That way any impurities, including moisture will be at the low point in your sump. Starting an engine to warm up the oil prior to draining it is a bad habit.

Um are you mad or what??? You should always have your oil warm when draining it so that impurities are fluidborne and drain with the oil.

BTW if the sump plug is that tight then I would also be checking the thread on the sump and the plug as they are fairly easily damaged by barbarians doing things up too tight :wink:

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

Jaysen wrote:
Doghead wrote:
Go get a sump plug today and change your oil tommorrow when your engine - and your oil is cold. That way any impurities, including moisture will be at the low point in your sump. Starting an engine to warm up the oil prior to draining it is a bad habit.

Um are you mad or what??? You should always have your oil warm when draining it so that impurities are fluidborne and drain with the oil.

BTW if the sump plug is that tight then I would also be checking the thread on the sump and the plug as they are fairly easily damaged by barbarians doing things up too tight :wink:

Jaysen. If contaminents are fluidborne , then they would have been fluid borne when the hot engine was shut down. If they can be drained off in the oil while it is warm, why would they not have got to the sump on the last cooling down/ drain down excursion. Heating you car and oil in the warm up process emulsifies your oil with the possible impurities and moisture putting them all over the engine again, so you take out the sump plug, let the oil drain back to where it was. Each to their own.

Don't know where we're going,
no use being late

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon EB II 4.0 auto

VIC, Australia

hey andrew J,

we might have the same name.

im andrew jones, whats your j stand for?

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

James, my second name, not my last. And I dont believe it is possible to round any bolt larger than about 5/8" if using the correct spanner. I havent managed it yet. And besides, sump plugs shouldnt be anywhere near that tight :shock: I do mine up by a 3/8" ratchet with about a 10" handle and its never given me trouble before

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2