Fordmods Logo

twin exhaust 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: twin exhaust
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:05 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

has anyone ever thought of or perhaps even bought a twin exhaust for their falcon (mine is an EL Fairmont) but for any E series really. i am talking about the one where it seperates into two pipes and you have the tips at either end of the car (left and right). i think it would look awesome, sound mad but cost a hell of a lot.

EL Fairmont

2 1/2" Cat back Straight thru Redback exhaust
4499 Pacemaker Extractors
EL GT rims
K&N panel filter
XR8 intake snorkel
Pioneer head unit
Tinted windows

A good friend will bail you out of jail, whereas a true friend will be sitting beside you saying "damn that was fun"

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Fairmont, FG XR6

NSW, Australia

Its been thought of and discussed and its not possible because of the fuel tank.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

what a shame, not to worry
do u think just a fake twin exhaust pipe would look any good?
if i was to get a rear skirt would it have to be modified to make an extra cutout to fit around the extra fake exhaust pipe

EL Fairmont

2 1/2" Cat back Straight thru Redback exhaust
4499 Pacemaker Extractors
EL GT rims
K&N panel filter
XR8 intake snorkel
Pioneer head unit
Tinted windows

A good friend will bail you out of jail, whereas a true friend will be sitting beside you saying "damn that was fun"

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Of course it will "look" good..
But will it serve a purpose, when u drive one will get dirty, not 2; seems silly unless its all for show to me.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon Panelvan

New Zealand

EL Fairmont wrote:
what a shame, not to worry
do u think just a fake twin exhaust pipe would look any good?
if i was to get a rear skirt would it have to be modified to make an extra cutout to fit around the extra fake exhaust pipe

yes the skirt would have to be modified, unless u want the 'fake' exaust to be dragging along the ground .. doesnt sound like a good move, u may as well put a giant front mount intercooler on your falcon too cause it will look good. mayb a monster tacho with shift light, and a boost gauge , that will look good too .. everything looks good until its found fake, then its a laugh for everybody. plus a waste of money in the first place

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

I agree with xg and daniel, why have a fake one cause it will "look" good because in the end it will look sh#t when one is as dirty as my a** hole, and you wouldnt really be fooling anyone, because performance wise it would be a waste of time and money, and sound wise.

Can you feel the grunt?

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Futura

SA, Australia

I can be done, I've seen it done on a VH commodore (same prob with the fuel tank) Both exhausts run up the same side of the fuel tank, one exited in the normal spot, and the other ran along inbetween the fuel tank and the bumper, and came out the other side. Yes one pipe is much longer than the other, and I don't know how that would affect performance / sound.

Fake exhaust = rice

5 Speed EL Futura
Stock as a rock*
A1 Oils - Synthetic lubricants: www.a1oils.com.au
* A rock that has been Alted

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

hornet wrote:
I can be done, I've seen it done on a VH commodore (same prob with the fuel tank) Both exhausts run up the same side of the fuel tank, one exited in the normal spot, and the other ran along inbetween the fuel tank and the bumper, and came out the other side. Yes one pipe is much longer than the other, and I don't know how that would affect performance / sound.

Fake exhaust = rice

yea anythings possible, but for a start if its a 6cyl its a waste of time, u need back pressure .. and even if it was a v8, i wouldnt go bigger than a 3" exaust otherwise u would lose back pressure on that too, which means u gonna have 2 pipes at 1.5" each, 2 ugly pee shooter exausts. waste of time unless u got a good size engin ..

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

XGPANELVAN wrote:
hornet wrote:

Fake exhaust = rice

yea anythings possible, but for a start if its a 6cyl its a waste of time, u need back pressure .. and even if it was a v8, i wouldnt go bigger than a 3" exaust otherwise u would lose back pressure on that too, which means u gonna have 2 pipes at 1.5" each, 2 ugly pee shooter exausts. waste of time unless u got a good size engin ..

the school of thought that says you 'need back pressure' is very out dated.

it has been proven time and time again the you don't need back pressure.
thats not to say there is no such thing as an exhaust that is to big.

what is needed is 'gas speed' with back pressure present speed is lessend. back pressure = restriction.

with an exhaust that is too big, gas speed is lessned because there is to much volume for it to fill.

you cant scavenge cylinders effectivly if there is a restriction to flow
(back pressure)

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

tickford_6 wrote:
XGPANELVAN wrote:
hornet wrote:

Fake exhaust = rice

the school of thought that says you 'need back pressure' is very out dated.

it has been proven time and time again the you don't need back pressure.
thats not to say there is no such thing as an exhaust that is to big.

what is needed is 'gas speed' with back pressure present speed is lessend. back pressure = restriction.

with an exhaust that is too big, gas speed is lessned because there is to much volume for it to fill.

you cant scavenge cylinders effectivly if there is a restriction to flow
(back pressure)

think about it, u always need a bit of back pressure, if u have none, when the piston goes down the old s**t is pushed out, but because theres no back pressure, not all the old s**t will be cleared out, so because of that, when the piston comes back up to suck in new s**t its gonna be mixed with the old s**t, which means the 'explosion' is not going to be as good .. which means a slight loss of power .. sure you can fix all this by tuning the car, ignition timing etc .. but unless its a v8supercar or something its not worth the effort.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Quote:
hink about it, u always need a bit of back pressure, if u have none, when the piston goes down the old s**t is pushed out, but because theres no back pressure, not all the old s**t will be cleared out, so because of that, when the piston comes back up to suck in new s**t its gonna be mixed with the old s**t, which means the 'explosion' is not going to be as good .. which means a slight loss of power .. sure you can fix all this by tuning the car, ignition timing etc .. but unless its a v8supercar or something its not worth the effort.

lets just straighten a few thing out here.

Quote:
when the piston goes down the old s**t is pushed out, but because theres no back pressure, not all the old s**t will be cleared out

the exhaust gases are pushed out when the piston goes up.
NOT when it goes down.

Quote:
when the piston comes back up to suck in new s**t

pistons go down to draw in new air/fuel

Quote:
but because theres no back pressure, not all the old s**t will be cleared out

this is wrong. think about the term BACK PRESSURE. it means pressure against the flow of gas. so to have back pressure you are restricting flow from the cylinder, and preventing the scavanging affect.

to scavange properly you need none/zero/not any at all, backpressure.

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:58 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 87 XF Ghia

WA, Australia

Yeah, well said, couldn't have said it better myself :D

Top fuelers seem to do fine with 12 inch pipes.
Don't see them lookin for back pressure :shock:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]