Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
yea, the volvo box is an absolute bastard of a thing, i've had to do a bit of pad work with a twin steer FL10 with a 10 speed (i think..... never got above 30km on the pad.....)

wierd part is, several guys who have been truckies all thier lives reckon the mack 15 speed is the biggest bastard second only to road ranger gearboxes, but apart from the occasional balky shifter, i find the macks the easiest to drive

as for the national licences, you only get a federal licence if you want one, and apply/sit the test for one...... not really necessary cos you can drive trucks anywhere in australia on your state licence provided you have the appropriate qualifications

Well NSW and QLD truck licence is standard National, NSW you can't get anything different, QLD when I swapped was the same, I didn't see any other heavy vehicle licences back then and I think you will find it is to stop truckies etc changing licences to get their points back etc, which you can do with car licence, a good mate flew to Victoria just to change his licence to Vic just because he only had one point in NSW, he just had to show a bank statement with a Victorian address, his parents live in Vic.

I think you will find all the Heavy vehicle licences are National licences, they state what state they are from but all are National, that came in back in the early 90's, you didn't have a choice, your licence just became National, well that is what happened to me, I have had one since I was 19yr.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

falconboy wrote:
I suppose this is in relation to the discussion - but heard of a truck driver only being licenced to drive a truck with 'syncro automatic'. Whats this? It sounds like a manual without a clutch is it?

That will be Syncro, Automatic. That what I have on my truck licence
meaning Syncro Manual or Automatic.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Bah, just go semi-auto in the truck LOL!
My dad rekons its the best fkn thing to go thru cities n towns; and if you need to change gears manually for some reason you can still do it - just push the little lever back or forth haha!
Arcade game style!
This is in an Iveco; again a euro.. Now hes back into kenworths.

Ive driven a few trucks, but ive never had to change out of the first few gears, so i cant comment o this subject really, however i found one of the macks, a bastard to change gears, maybe im just s**t lol, prolly.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Daniel wrote:
Bah, just go semi-auto in the truck LOL!
My dad rekons its the best fkn thing to go thru cities n towns; and if you need to change gears manually for some reason you can still do it - just push the little lever back or forth haha!
Arcade game style!
This is in an Iveco; again a euro.. Now hes back into kenworths.

Ive driven a few trucks, but ive never had to change out of the first few gears, so i cant comment o this subject really, however i found one of the macks, a bastard to change gears, maybe im just s**t lol, prolly.

I shudder as I remember working on and driving old Leyland or similar real semi auto, very fragile gearboxes, some even had full air auto setup on them, but most of the controllers failed and were converted back to manual shift, scary stuff.

As for Mack I don't know, worked on a couple all the time once but can't remember much about them except for a 550+hp B-double that I had much fun in the muddy big yard after the trailers were removed so they could sell it (coal truck so no quick release trailers are used, permanent bolted to turntable).

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

i frequently double clutch my EB mainly when i have slowed right down, and want to go to first to get speed faster instead of winding it up in 2nd.
grab neutral, stab the throttle, grab first and plant it.
Then comes the tricky bit - switching the ears off as the missus whines about me being a hoon...

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

Damage wrote:
Interceptor wrote:
yea, the volvo box is an absolute bastard of a thing, i've had to do a bit of pad work with a twin steer FL10 with a 10 speed (i think..... never got above 30km on the pad.....)

wierd part is, several guys who have been truckies all thier lives reckon the mack 15 speed is the biggest bastard second only to road ranger gearboxes, but apart from the occasional balky shifter, i find the macks the easiest to drive

as for the national licences, you only get a federal licence if you want one, and apply/sit the test for one...... not really necessary cos you can drive trucks anywhere in australia on your state licence provided you have the appropriate qualifications

Well NSW and QLD truck licence is standard National, NSW you can't get anything different, QLD when I swapped was the same, I didn't see any other heavy vehicle licences back then and I think you will find it is to stop truckies etc changing licences to get their points back etc, which you can do with car licence, a good mate flew to Victoria just to change his licence to Vic just because he only had one point in NSW, he just had to show a bank statement with a Victorian address, his parents live in Vic.

I think you will find all the Heavy vehicle licences are National licences, they state what state they are from but all are National, that came in back in the early 90's, you didn't have a choice, your licence just became National, well that is what happened to me, I have had one since I was 19yr.

i know the licences are valid in all states, but i'm pretty sure you can still get a federal licence that is pretty much the same thing (same as you can get federal registration for trucks)

Banned

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:30 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XR8 - GT Replica

QLD, Australia

hornet wrote:
I think double clutching isn't required nowadays in world of synchomesh gearboxes. I guess in large trucks you still need to.

The only thing I do close to double cluthing is give my throttle a tap on downshifts (with the clutch fully in still) to help pick the revs up to match them better, and to sound cool :)

Damn Straight!! Plus you can keep your toes on your right foot on the brake and tap the accelerator with your heel while holding the clutch in with ol' lefty. Works well as theres no need to release the brakes plus you can imagine u are driving a V8 supercar (albeit with about 350 less horsepower).

5L, 5 Speed, 2.5" exhaust, 17" EL GT's, GT body kit. Pearl Black.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3