Fordmods Logo

ED Falcon, Relays, power etc, few questions! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: ED Falcon, Relays, power etc, few questions!
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

Okay ... Im working on a little project at the moment ... and have the following question ..

Is there, a relay, or electic device inside the car that stays on for about 30sec or a min after the car is turned off? ..

Now, I know when you turn the car off and take the key out, about 30-60sec's later there is a click from a relay, But I don't know where it is, it what its for ...

Really, what I need, is a turbo timer without the motor on .. If you can understand that ... just something that keys +12V for 30-60secs then shuts off ..

Does the smart BEM have a function in this? .. Or a wire coming out of it that I can tap into? ..

What I want it for, is to keep the thermo's running for 30-secs to a min after I've been towing ...

cheers.
antony .

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon Panelvan

New Zealand

the click u hear 30 secs after the u turn off the engin is the smart lock relay. . its on the left side of the glovebox

as for hooking a turbo timer up but not having the engin running, id say the only way is to hook is how it would be usually.
so in order for it to work, after you turn the engin off, is turn the ignition back on, then off again, then the turbo timer will count down from there.

would be that way because the ignition power needs to be cut in order to turn the engin off. .. unless someone knows another way of doing it?

Last edited by XGPANELVAN on Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

XGPANELVAN wrote:
the click u hear 30 secs after the u turn off the engin is the smart lock relay. . its on the left side of the glovebox

Now, is that turning its self off? .. on smart locking itself? ... There must be a 12V power too it I can tap into .. any ideas? ..

Also that smartlock relay, so it stays open for 30secs right? .. so there would be power to it .. for 30secs. .. lol .

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon Panelvan

New Zealand

my ED is hotwired, so i have to wait 26 mins with the ignition on before i can start it, once i turn off the engin, i have 30 secs to turn it back on, otherwise i have to wait 26 mins again once the smartlock relay has clicked, the relay just resets the smartlock module after that 30 secs.

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 2008 WQ Fiesta XR4

SA, Australia

It would probably be easier to buy yourself an electronic timer, they are avail in 12 volt. You'd be able to choose any delay time you want then.

2008 WQ Fiesta XR4
2007 LS Focus CL

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah, but was just seeing whats in the car to start with .... Im sure there must be another delay, Like the light the comes on where you put the key in the barrel ... does that not stay on for a few min's after you lock up? .. or is that controled by the BEM? .

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:48 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

that light comes on via BEM control

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

It is indeed very possible. Ive wired up my interior lights to stay on after the car has been turned off, and a door switch activated. Once the door is opened, it stays on for around 20 seconds. Just use a relay, and have 12volts going to one of the switching poles, and have another wire running to either wire coming out of the light near the key. Then, on the switched side, have an earth on one, and connect it to the door trip wire on the other pole. Simple as and works a treat

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:22 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: '98 EL XR8

NT, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
It is indeed very possible. Ive wired up my interior lights to stay on after the car has been turned off, and a door switch activated. Once the door is opened, it stays on for around 20 seconds. Just use a relay, and have 12volts going to one of the switching poles, and have another wire running to either wire coming out of the light near the key. Then, on the switched side, have an earth on one, and connect it to the door trip wire on the other pole. Simple as and works a treat

Yeah, just don't splice the courtacy lamp ground wire directly to the ignition lamp ground... or you'll burn out the central controller...

... like I did... oops. :oops:

"...we can rebuild him, we have the technology... we just dont want to spend a lot of money."
SIX MILLION PESO FALCON

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]