Engines with empty cooling systems 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:41 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

kenny wrote:
most top fuelers don't even have cooling systems and look at how hard they go!
yes like ebxr8330 said they use the amount of fuel to keep the engine cool!

RIP SCOTT

Post subject: HEY
Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:02 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

JUST PUSH THE EXCELLERATOR, SHE WILL BE RIGHT, PUSH N GO IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN?

JOHNSXR6

Post subject: Re: HEY
Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

johnsxr6 wrote:
JUST PUSH THE EXCELLERATOR, SHE WILL BE RIGHT, PUSH N GO IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN?

I'd be hoping that after 15 days he's managed to get the new radiator and all that done now!

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Waggin wrote:
Andrew J wrote:
Lol, call me stupid, but id be pushing my car out, and then back in. Ive dropped off waterpump belts before, and the rate the ttemp gauge rises, even full of water, is astounding. But it makes sense :oops:

Andrew, youre stupid! heheh

I guess when you talk about dropping belts, thats when youve been out driving? The engine is already warm at that point, and in need of constant cooling.

If we're talking about a dead cold engine which is at ambient temperature, it would take a good minute or 2 of mild running before it would be a problem. Think about how much driving it takes before your temperature gauge moves in the morning on a cold start.. I can get 1km before it even budges, which is somewhere around 40deg coolant temp.

I started the car, got about 200 metres in about thirty seconds, and dropped the belt. Another 6 - 800 odd metres and the high temp light came on so i coasted to a stop. Called RAC, got a response that they couldnt help me as they had no parts and the shop was shut, so i got a tow truck instead. They charged to RAC, and i got home. Both the second and third times it threw a belt i didnt even bother calling the rac, just propped the bonnet up and changed it myself. Couldnt be bothered waiting a few hours for a five minute job. :) Makes me wonder why I pay for RAC :roll:

Funny thing is, after calling out the RAC three or four times, (tow truck after belt, inspection after head gasket number 1, immobiliser failure) I recieved a letter congratulating me for being one of the lucky ones who hadnt broken down this year. So far, the following has occured

Three or four belts, two heads, power steering pump, power steering rack, and immobiliser. Now if thats lucky, I want to go home!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

as has been said u'll be fine... we do it all the time at work if weve gotta move a coolant-less car around the yard

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XR8 - GT Replica

QLD, Australia

Waggin wrote:
Andrew, youre stupid! heheh

If we're talking about a dead cold engine which is at ambient temperature, it would take a good minute or 2 of mild running before it would be a problem. Think about how much driving it takes before your temperature gauge moves in the morning on a cold start.. I can get 1km before it even budges, which is somewhere around 40deg coolant temp.

Hi. You are all probably right in that 30 seconds would be OK but dont forget that when you start up in the morning and drive off that you still have coolant sitting in all the water jackets (although not flowing with freshly cooled coolant from radiator) but the point is that the heat would dissipate into the litres of coolant that is sitting there. If there was no coolant at all, wouldn't it heat up the metal s**t loads quicker??

Just a thought i had. I've never had any practical experience in engines with no coolant.

5L, 5 Speed, 2.5" exhaust, 17" EL GT's, GT body kit. Pearl Black.

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:01 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

I have driven enough I6 Falcons onto the back of tilt trays without coolant to know it's fine.

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Well for the record, she was fine for the 20 seconds i ran her for...

Unfortunately the plug i had used to block the trans cooler lines wasnt on as tight as i thought it was.... didnt loose too much fluid thankfully...

But now re-sewing the areas of the lawn that were doused in BTR LE trans fluid, lol.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:21 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL GT - T2 TS50

QLD, Australia

kenny wrote:
most top fuelers don't even have cooling systems and look at how hard they go!

Drag cars like that have ther blocks filled with heat dispercant stuff I thought, like this http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ ... rmenbr=361

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2