Fordmods Logo

Is it Possible for a P Plater to get insurance for an XR-8?? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: falcon gli

VIC, Australia

Yeah, but even though the el xr8 and el ghias are under the power to weight limit, they are all on the "banned" list. Every single Ford or Holden v8 that has been made since 1990 is on that list. I dont think there is really anyway to get around it, but i could probably just get insurance with 'just car' and hope that they cover me when/if i crash. They quoted me for 3.5 g's a year!

Post subject: banned list
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

well do you have any relo's that live in NSW or the ACT?
if you do well THINK ABOUT IT
NSW & the ACT dont have these banned list yet for P1 & P2 or even L's and another TIP have a FAIRMONT not a XR8 as FAIRMONTS don't attract high insurance premiums like XR's do

MEMBER 1390

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU series 2 XR8

VIC, Australia

i dont think the el xr8s are on the banned list. this is the restricted vehicles list.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/vrnav.nsf/9e58661e880ba9e44a256c640023eb2e/e3decd09a922a2d4ca256f740008de76/$FILE/restricted%20vehicles%20November%202003.pdf

from the vicroads website
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/vrnav.nsf/childdocs/-56D2423AB8E3B28CCA256EC900144F45-4FC54A403FF5D4C3CA256EC900144F63?open

on the list for ford is the AU series2 xr8 ute and Au series3 xr8 the BA V8's and some of the older ford V8's theres no E series V8's on the list though they do say the list is not exhaustive it does contain many holden V8 modals from the 90's and earlier.

Driving an AU2 XR8 myself i carry a copy of this list with me in the car. And just take it out everytime i get pulled over. of all the police officers ive been pulled over by none have known wether the car is on the banned list or not and question me about it, all i do is show them the list they point out to me that the list is not exhaustive and say that they will look into it and if its on the banned list that i am to expect a ticket in the mail. well i havnt received any fines in the mail so i can assume that:

A) my car isnt on the banned list although it does have the same 220kw engine as the series3 AU's. or,

B) i am very lucky as not to get fined for driving a high high powered vehicle on my P's

the only way to know for sure though is if you call vicroads on 131171
and ask them yourself.

Post subject: Question?
Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

can VIC ROADS screw a interstate P plater over with their LAWS or it doesnt apply to interstate drivers.
well if im in VICTORIA and a cop pulls me over about it I'll just say these LAWS dont APPLY in NSW so how am I spose to know?

MEMBER 1390

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU series 2 XR8

VIC, Australia

If you drive on victorian roads you have to obey victorian road laws ignorance isnt an excuse and the police can still fine you if they wish to.

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XR8

Power: 238 rwkw

WA, Australia

Rapier wrote:
In2XG wrote:
Gday,

I own a BA Xr8 Ute, and still on my P's (opens in August :P :P), the only way i could insure the car, was to have it in dads name and have me as a Registed Driver until im 21, i dont think QLD has those *rules* u have mentioned, i have been pulled several times for RBT, and they have looked at my licence then looked at me n said..have a nice night. but nothing about a restriction for driving a performance car.... by the way im Insured with RACQ.....food for thought.

cheers

how teh fuk can u afford a ba xr8 at 19!

I have been saving for a while.......Plus i work as Operations for a Tourism Company.......mMmMmMm Backpackers

03 XR8 ute.... 251.5rwkw and counting

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:27 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: R33 GTS-T

VIC, Australia

elXR wrote:
If you drive on victorian roads you have to obey victorian road laws ignorance isnt an excuse and the police can still fine you if they wish to.

I should really stop driving at 110 in NSW then hey? :lol: They tend to see the vic plates on the car and not bother. The interstate thing has been proven in court anyway, at least for parking. I see no reason why it wouldn't work for power restrictions etc as well.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB XR8

NSW, Australia

in nsw we are on our red P's for a year and can go up to 90km and we have 4 demerit points. after that we sit a computer test and apon passing get out green P's for which we recieved 7 demerit points and maximum 100km speed limit...never the less i still was able to insure my v8

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:37 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA XR8

VIC, Australia

That's right, Victorian road rules apply to all those who drive on them.

You should read the insurance policy to see whether you are covered or not if you are committing illegal acts (such as using it in a get-away, or more relevant to you, driving a car that you are not permitted by law to drive). It is likely, strictly pursuant to the policy, that you are not covered. Your entitlement to money if you make a claim is pursuant to the policy and so you should read that and not rely on what you are told on the phone or advice you receive here, or if you do rely on what you are told on the phone, make a careful note of the details, including name of phone operator and time/date.

Eventhough, as a general principle, you may not be able to enforce your (insruance) contract while conducting an illegal act, that rule is not absolute, because, for example, if you are speeding (ie doing something illegal) and crash, you would still expect, quite rightly, to be covered by insurance.

Why dont you register and insure in your parent's or guardian's name, or buy a less powerful car until you are deemed, by law, to have enough experience to drive a more powerful car?

From my experience, even if you are expressly entitled to money under your policy, if the insurer says you are not entitled, it can be stressful and expensive to enforce your rights.

Good luck ... :roll:

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:00 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: R33 GTS-T

VIC, Australia

The EL XR8 is not on the band list because it is simply isn't that powerful. Easy to work out - 125kW per ton or 3.5L per ton

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Post subject: Re: Question?
Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Ben_Daui wrote:
can VIC ROADS screw a interstate P plater over with their LAWS or it doesnt apply to interstate drivers.
well if im in VICTORIA and a cop pulls me over about it I'll just say these LAWS dont APPLY in NSW so how am I spose to know?

When anyone travels interstate they have to obey the laws of that state. However I would think it would be unreasonable to force drivers to change cars just to cross over the border for a visit. The only way to be sure is to ring the licencing office in that state, and check with your insurance company before traveling.

A bit like drivers licences if you visiting you don't need to change it, if however you are moving interstate then the you have 3 months.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2