Fordmods Logo

The smell of gas mmmmm..... (eb2 impco sys) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: The smell of gas mmmmm..... (eb2 impco sys)
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Anyone had the prob a car smelling of unburned LPG when it cops a hiding?? I do...yet I still get good economy (450-550k's per 68L's)

I heard its normal coz the convertor has a release valve on it but I'm sick of the smell and somehow...I get the feeling its no good for my kids *lol*

EF Ghia 5L V8
BAMk2 XR8 Velocity/Cobra 19's

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:32 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

You shouldn't smell gas from a well-maintained gas engine. Is the gas smell coming from the engine bay or from the tailpipe? If it's from the tailpipe, you might have a faulty/worn catalytic converter, or your air/fuel mixture may be out, causing inefficient combustion.

On a side note, LPG and natural gas are both non-toxic, so don't worry about your kids!

Regards,
Dave

2005 VZ Commodore SV6 with OMVL Dream XXI SVI LPG
2004 BA Falcon XT with Orbital Liquid LPG Injection
2004 BA Falcon XR6 with icom JTG Liquid LPG Injection

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

no 1 -Car has had Cat convertor removed
no 2- Car returned min 450-500 per tank, which indicates good economy, at least from a 4.0 vapour mixer system. And it come from the engine bay.thanks dave..

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 08 BF Ghia

VIC, Australia

All ill say is put cat converter back before the police get you its a $5,000 fine and might reduce your gas smell.

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:17 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Yup, if a catalytic converter was fitted to your vehicle ex-factory, I'd suggest you fit it back on. Even on straight gas, modern cars will not meet emissions regulations without cats.

Regards,
Dave

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

guys after you take that s**t out...........well if you ever done it you'll know what I mean... it flows like a mother f**k..those new Aurions.....I can hold em to speed limit...they spose to be fast, ive been in em they are too...I dont think thats norm for an old eb.......and re: cops...........you think they are gonna pick on a white wagon with kiddy seats in the back???

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:25 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Well if you don't want that strong gas smell I would suggest that you fit the catalytic converter back on. Also, do you have a fuel metering valve installed on the outlet of your regulator/converter and is it adjusted properly for closed-loop feedback?

Regards,
Dave

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 08 BF Ghia

VIC, Australia

Cops may never get you but i wouldnt take that chance. Whats the harm of it being there to you. You just need to be unlucky one day and be in the wrong place at the wrong time. A cat converter is a small price to pay for piece of mind not to mention if you had an accident as insurance companys are tight a*** and will use any excuse to try to get out of a claim. But hey its your car and choice but i know what most would do.

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ900R

VIC, Australia

raff-26 wrote:
guys after you take that s**t out...........well if you ever done it you'll know what I mean... it flows like a mother f**k..those new Aurions.....I can hold em to speed limit...they spose to be fast, ive been in em they are too...I dont think thats norm for an old eb.......and re: cops...........you think they are gonna pick on a white wagon with kiddy seats in the back???

yeah when i crashed my car i damaged the factory cat and was running without it for a while and yes it runs a lot quicker but i got a High flow cat put on and it runs just as quick as it did when i didnt have one on. Besides high emissions i also noticed my exhuast was running really hot and to the point where my seats were warm so putting another cat on was a practical idea. Yeah i gave an aurion a go the other day and it was beating me to about 60 but then i started to reel it in pretty quick and by the time i got to 100 he was a two car lengths behind me. but it suprsied me a fair bit.

The Past: EF Fairmont, EL Fairmont 5.0, HR Special, NF Fairlane 5.0, GSX 250-F, BA II XR8, VS3 Ute, VS2 L67 Calais

The Present: FG Egas Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ 900R

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]