Fordmods Logo

bigger wheels and abs 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: bigger wheels and abs
Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

i have a el ghia v8 and once borrowed wheels from mate which were 18 inch. looked good but the abs light kept comming on. and i think that when it comes on, they dont work. any1 with the same prob?

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

Did you have all four wheels or only two ???? If the front wheels are a different outside diameter than the back it will assume one is slipping.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

raiki wrote:
Did you have all four wheels or only two ???? If the front wheels are a different outside diameter than the back it will assume one is slipping.

How? The abs works off of four rotating discs, one for each wheel, with notches cut in it. If one stops rotating, or slows faster than the others, it backs it off. Thats my understanding of it :?

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
raiki wrote:

How? The abs works off of four rotating discs, one for each wheel, with notches cut in it. If one stops rotating, or slows faster than the others, it backs it off. Thats my understanding of it :?

if the computer recognises wheels travelling at different speeds than the others, it will throw up errors

Banned

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
raiki wrote:

If two wheels of different diameter are travelling at the same speed, they are at different RPMs. This means on is partly locked (for ABS) or the other is slipping (traction control).

The clever ABS systems don't work only on locked wheels, its all about RPM differential.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

but remember that the ecu is always learning the different rate at which each will rotates, every time u turn on the ignition it will re-calerbrate, as tyers wear they change there diamiter but doesnt mean that the abs light comes on does it.

the abs will calculate the speed of each wheel and it determain when there is a slip rate between each wheel before its modulates the brakes.

so changing the tyre profile actaully doesnt effect the abs

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

raiki wrote:
Andrew J wrote:
raiki wrote:

If two wheels of different diameter are travelling at the same speed, they are at different RPMs. This means on is partly locked (for ABS) or the other is slipping (traction control).

The clever ABS systems don't work only on locked wheels, its all about RPM differential.

Yeah, i see what youre getting at. I read it as different tyre width :D

So no confusion there

fordgt290 wrote:
ut remember that the ecu is always learning the different rate at which each will rotates, every time u turn on the ignition it will re-calerbrate, as tyers wear they change there diamiter but doesnt mean that the abs light comes on does it.

the abs will calculate the speed of each wheel and it determain when there is a slip rate between each wheel before its modulates the brakes.

so changing the tyre profile actaully doesnt effect the abs

They were talking about differences in profile between front and back, not all together :)

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]