Fordmods Logo

Funny Noise 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Funny Noise
Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL

NSW, Australia

HI all, ive had a 98 el gli auto for just over a year now and for the last 2 months (and ive been tryin to find it) its been makeing this aweful squealing noise sounding like its comeing from the rear end when its first moved of a morning or has been sitting for about and hour and driven again, the noise dosent stay there long prob about 300m and its gone and to make it more confuseing it makes the noise without the engine running, roll it down the driveway and it makes the noise. This problem has me beat, there plents of diff oil in the diff, ive replaced the rear discs not long ago and handbreak pad and normal pads,and that still didnt fix the noise and ive also pulled the handbreak on gentle whilst movin slowly and it dose not affect the noise, , has anyone had a similar problem to this in the past, any help would be greatful, its driving me nuts plus its also embarrsing.

Thanks

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

Mmm tricky, wheel bearings? have you jacked it up, and rotated wheels to see? all i can think of really, oh tailshaft?

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL

NSW, Australia

yer mate, have had the back up and started the car and put it in drive and had a friend watch and listen for the noise, it was there for a few seconds then went out, and im guessing its becuase theres no load on the wheels.. Wheel bearings i did think of but there no signs of leaking and no slop or movement in the rear axels, but they also could be dry, so i thinks its a job for the weekend to pull the rear appart and have a good look. the tailshaft there was no play in the unis either.. thanks for ya help anyways champ..

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Sounds like oil is draining away from something and the reason it doesn't last liong is because after a short while, the oil gets to where it's dry and the noise stops.

Obviously the only two things on teh car that this could happen with are the engine and the trans.

Have you checked fluid levels in them?

And don't bother checking wheel bearings visually untill you know it's them. There's a very, VERY easy test to see if your wheel bearings are shot.

Drive down a wide street with any audio producing devices (i.e. radio) turned off. Start to swerve gently from one side of the road to the other. If you hear a faint, muffled grinding noise when you're swerving but not when driving in a straight line, it's wheel bearings.

Also, is your wheel bearing are shot enough to be making a squeeling noise then you should keep in the back of your mind that they'll sieze at any moment and you'll end up locking up wheels and doing multiple 360's down the road if you've got any speed on.

Whee bearing noise like that wouldn't go away after 300 or so metres either. It'd just get worse and worse as you get faster and faster.

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

i have seen a AU making some strange noises seemingly from the rear. One of the uv joint bearings had dried out. no play in the drive shaft, but still squeaked..

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Mondeo XR5T

Power: 173 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I have had similar problems with my AU. It is the hand brake in my case.
I am for ever adjusting the hand brake, however, I reckon I may have a warped disc. But initailly it was just the handbrake not letting go.

Sounds like your problem only occurs after the car has been parked. What do we do when we park a car or drive off in a car?; engage or release the handbrake!

I see you have replaced the pads/discs etc.... but have you adjusted the tension on the handbrake cable??????????? It may be the problem.

Just a suggestion.

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

I agree sounds to me like the handbrake, try parking it without the handbrake and see if it still does it, when you move off later.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

sounds like a build up of brake dust from the hand brake pads. remove the wheel, remove brake caliper, remove large phillips screw from disc, take off disc and blow out any dust build up (do not breathe in dust). i also used brake kleen after i hosed it down. no more squeeks when reversing or taking off after hand brake had been released.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]