Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: Veteran racer Tomas Mezera replaces Bond
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 94 ED Fairmont, MY97 LE WRX

VIC, Australia

Quote:
Release Date: 23/01/2008
Former Bathurst Champion and V8 Supercar driver Tomas Mezera has been appointed to replace another former racer Colin Bond as the Driving Standards Observer (DSO) in the V8 Supercar Championship Series and Fujitsu Series

The 49-year-old Czechoslovakian-born Mezera will oversee the on-track conduct of the 2008 Championship field as the right hand man to the Stewards of the Meeting and Investigating and Prosecuting Officer. Together they are tasked with ensuring the racing and sporting rules are adhered to.

Mezera is a popular and recent driver within the category having retired as recently as 2004 with his last V8 Supercar event in the Sandown 500 when he drove alongside Anthony Tratt for 12th and the 2003 Bathurst 1000 when he teamed up with Paul Dumbrell for 14th.

He finished third at Bathurst in 2002 with Jason Bright for the Holden Racing Team after much of his career was spent with the Holden factory team through the 1990s.

More recently Mezera has filled the DSO role in the Porsche category Carrera Cup where he has impressed in the difficult task of adjudicating on driver indiscretions on the track.

He prides himself as a straight shooter and nothing will change in his new role.

“No s**t, I’m not interested in a big ego,” said Mezera candidly.

“I’m looking to treat everybody as equals no matter who they are. In this category they are all professionals and should know when they are right or wrong. Having said that there are always whingers and they whinge no matter whether it is black or white.

“It is up to V8 Supercars to make the rules, ensure everybody is aware of them and I have been appointed to provide expertise to assist in the adjudication of driving standards.”

Mezera was a logical replacement for Bond who resigned from the role late last year.

“Tomas is a former driver with a strong standing in the sport and tremendous experience,” V8 Supercars Australia Chief Executive Wayne Cattach said.

“It is a difficult role for anyone to fill as the ‘independent umpire’ but one we feel Tomas is well suited to.”

Mezera will start his role at the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide next month.

The V8 Supercar Championship Series begins in Adelaide next month with the Series being officially launched in Melbourne on February 6. Two compulsory team test days will be held in Victoria and Queensland on the 12th and 14th of February followed by the Clipsal 500 from February 21-24.

I just hope those old ties with HRT and Holden wont get in the way, But it is good to see a driver from the modern era in the position now.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]