Pod in airbox... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Pod in airbox...
Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

ACT, Australia

Hey guys, this has probably been covered before, but anyways...

Is it LEGAL to remove the standard panel filter and replace it with a pod filter if left in the airbox?

If so, what piping is needed to make the pod filter fit? And it has to be angled slightly downwards to make the pod fit in the box right?

Where abouts would i be able to get it from? Or would i have to get some made up from the local exhaust shop?

Cheers.

By the way, its just that ive got a sequential scoop on my el xr8 and have to option of replacing the standard airbox lid with a modified one matching the scoop up to the pod filter.

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: NL 347, Landau

SA, Australia

The question is why? If you shroud the Pod filter in the confines of your airbox you will negate the breathing potential of the filter - and would have been better off with the panel filter. My little brother did this on his ED XR6 and went backwards. If you really want a pod filter - have a look at how XR8chic's pod filter is set up. It's on her homepage http://www.xr8chic.com/
Shane

Weapons of choice
1998 NL Fairlane by Tickford 033
1996 NL Fairlane Ghia 347
1992 NC Fairlane Ghia 5.0
1974 Landau
1974 LTD

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

MrLandau wrote:
If you really want a pod filter - have a look at how XR8chic's pod filter is set up. It's on her homepage http://www.xr8chic.com/
Shane

The problem I can see with that setup is that the pod filter is open in the engine bay. IMO thats a bad idea and probably would end up costing power due to hot air intake, plus it is illegal to run an open pod filter in most states I believe.

As for the filter in the box, as shane said stuffing a smallish pod filter inside the stock airbox is probably going to set you backwards. If you really need more airflow (usually on engines above 240kw) then you can look for a pod filter setup like in the BA's or make a custom pod enclosure with some decent sized ducting.

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

ACT, Australia

MrLandau wrote:
The question is why? If you shroud the Pod filter in the confines of your airbox you will negate the breathing potential of the filter - and would have been better off with the panel filter. My little brother did this on his ED XR6 and went backwards. If you really want a pod filter - have a look at how XR8chic's pod filter is set up. It's on her homepage http://www.xr8chic.com/
Shane

couldnt i just put a pod filter in the box without shrouding the pod filter?

the whole idea is to keep the box for legal issues in nsw, and just have the pod filter within it but without any shrouding around the pod.

id have to angle the pod down into the airbox slightly though wouldnt i?

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Bassfreak55 wrote:
couldnt i just put a pod filter in the box without shrouding the pod filter?

the whole idea is to keep the box for legal issues in nsw, and just have the pod filter within it but without any shrouding around the pod.

id have to angle the pod down into the airbox slightly though wouldnt i?

I think you will find that a pod filter that fits inside the airbox would have less surface area than a panel filter, so basicaly you would be doing it for less air flow. As I mentioned before, a good panel filter like K&N or BMC flows enough for 240+kw, and eventhen the airbox itself probably has more restriction than the filter. I just can't see any reason to do it.

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

I'm spewing the guy i bought my car off a year ago had a good BMC pod filter, no shroud or anything. I bought a shroud from a BA XR, but i still need to get cold air badly. Take it from me, it isn't worth the hassle.
Once my car is warmed up, it goes well, once its at a normal operating temp. it has lost a bit of power, so much that i notice it.

Dave

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I has been tested many times before by car manufacturers, aftermarket performance shops (i.e. Herrods, SVO etc) and performance mags etc, fitting a pod filter without shrouding the heat from the engine bay will cause loss of power, not a gain. Most of the morons that do it only do it because it makes more noise, and they think noise is power and love being showbags, not because they require more airflow than the stock airbox can supply.

I few years back I think it was Zoom?, that found the EF/EL airbox was one of the best factory CAI airboxes for flow and definitely noise, I think the Commonwhore VN etc type flowed similar but noise (everyone has heard how loud GMH EFI 5.0L induction noise is) and the fact it had no CIA took it out of contention.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6

VIC, Australia

GOTO WWW.AUFALCON.COM and look in mods they have a step by step on how to do it

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash