Fordmods Logo

Splits up to $400, your opinions... 

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

Can't Go Wrong with JBL 6" Splits for $230. Clear and Responsive. they are awsome if you ask me. problem is only strathfield stock JB so your kinda limited to the price.

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

sorry it took a while to respond but got mine for $320 from JB.

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

I just put some Alpine splits in my EF yesterday. Sound pretty good. SP171A for $220. You get 6.5" woofers, tweeters and two adjustable gain crossovers 0db, -3 db and -6db.

The 6.5" don't fit as standard so I made a 0.5" thick MDF spacer that fits between the parcel shalf and the carpet. In the end the speakers are flush with the carpet which looks like it is curvy. Turned out pretty well.

Also sounds pretty good.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:07 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Lincoln Navigator

Oustide Australia

raiki, out of curiosity, what have you got in the front of your car?

More so, why would you bother putting nice alpine splits on the rear shelf, if you could have them in the front?

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Raabz

At this stage I still have the stock mid series pioneers in the front. You'd be suprised how good they are. Not competition speakers but good for stockies.

They will be getting replaced as soon as I can be bothered messing with the door trims. I replaced the back ones first because one of the pioneers had a split in the cone.

Method in my madness you see.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:42 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

So i'm assuming that most 6" splits will slot straight into the origanal hole in EF's (In the front that is)? Whereas if i went 6.5" i would to need to modify it a bit?

1996 5spd EF2 XR6 - Genuine AJR's, full kit........

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

frd_xr6 wrote:
So i'm assuming that most 6" splits will slot straight into the origanal hole in EF's (In the front that is)? Whereas if i went 6.5" i would to need to modify it a bit?

Yep, 6" will bolt in, but you will need to modify slighly for 6.5". My speakers came with adapters to mount them on the 6" bolt holes (a spacer about 4mm thick) but the basket was about 2mm too big for the hole in the parcel shelf. 12mm spacers between the shelf and the carpet worked perfectly and looks semi stock.

Adrian

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:56 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Had a look today, the pioneer bullets were alright for $300 but then i heard the JL splits ($325) at jb hifi and they pumped so much harder so now i'll check out some infinities and it will be between them and the JL's.

1996 5spd EF2 XR6 - Genuine AJR's, full kit........

Post subject: SPLITS
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF FAIRMONT

VIC, Australia

mate i could tell u what i recon u should buy but at the end of the day it is what u are happy with and if u cant hear the differance between 200 dollar speakers and $300 speakers then go for the cheaper ones. i have eclipcs referance 6.5 in my front doors and they fit in the front door holes u just have to make new screw holes. U also have to space the door trim out so the surround does not hit the trim. vdo 5 1/4 fit very well with no mods needed and sound great but the 6.5 are a basterd to fit. just check that any speaker u are about to buy fits.

WOLF V500, t66(ar70 compressor), rochester 550cc injectors, borgg 265l fuel pump, 48mm turbosmart gate, turbosmart plumb back bov, 600x300x100 cooler, 3 inch zorst , 3.45 lsd, xr6 head, wade 1604 cam, adjustable cam gear, K&N pod filter, on 10psi and manual convertion exedy button clutch. 285.6rwkw

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:58 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

gday mate

i reccon you should have a look at a set of MB Quartz splits or even Focals. they are both excelent quality, and were within the $400 mark last time i checked. sounded better than a set of Alpine Type R splits i was looking at to me, which are also great if u want a little bit more kick in the mid range. if your anywhere near the northern suburbs, go and see the guys at GL Pro Sound on Keilor Rd in Niddree

good luck with all that!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2