Fordmods Logo

FG Falcon - v8 supercar 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Ford could let the thing rev if they p****d off those toothpicks they call conrods and actually factory fitted some decent rods from their parts bin. Or at least cast a decent rod based on the ones from the 4.6 mod motor. Over in the states some guys have had their mod motors (both the 4.6 and the 5.4) hang together at 7000+rpm no sweat with better conrods.

Now before you say the geometry (bore/stroke/rod ratio/etc) is holding it back its not the 80's any more.
Modern blocks have a higher nickel content than they once used to. That means the softest element is the piston ring and that's why you see engines these days make over a million kms and not even need a rebore, just new rings and bearings and she's good for another million. The car I own is testament to that.

Just look at the 347 stoker. On paper it has a less than ideal geometry but its proven itself from a reliability vs performance perspective. More and more guys are building 347's up as screamers and not stump pullers which they were originally designed for.

My thoughts about an alloy block and dry sump are if the actual road cars went head to head then the ford might just get around corners quicker than the equivalent holden. Holden will still destroy it around the straights but the falcon has by far the better suspension setup out of the box. Just it has a boat anchor under the bonnet upsetting it.

Euro III is what killed the mighty 302 and Euro IV is probably what will kill off the 5.4
If holden didn't start the power war with their LS1's 10 years ago and current outputs were still around the 200kw mark then we might still have had the 302.
What I'm trying to get at here is for a small motor to make the same power as a big motor it needs to rev harder thus making it inefficient down low. That's where you get piss poor cylinder fill and all the s**t associated with it. An emissions tests is simulated city running, Not a few dyno pulls.

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: V8 Falcon, Nissan Patrol

QLD, Australia

Bring back RACE ON SUNDAY, SELL ON MONDAY

I personally would enjoy watching the races alot more if this was the case. Plus, we would have constant evolving technology put back into road cars, along with power increases. (Is this not why the XY had 4 "phases"?)

I know this wouldn't ever happen, but aleast it would be a "real" BF vs a "real" VE.

1993 Ford Fairmont EB II 5.0L V8 Wagon
1992 Nissan Patrol TI 4.2L Diesel 4x4 Wagon

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Team Vodafone

NSW, Australia

- Have any of you guys watched the "Brute Utes". The 5.4 looks to hold its own against the SS Ute... Considering this a production based catagory... It doesnt look to me that it is getting stomped... Hey I must be on crack... Besides if it wasnt for Ford, Holden would have to source many of their racing parts elsewhere for V8 supercar... Front Suspension (SLAS) , Rear Suspension (Watts linkage + other components, 9" Differential... Ohh and Holden because their manufacturer didnt produce an evenly spaced port cylinder head, had to go and manufacture a Hybrid (Aurora)... So go back to the production base when the EB and EF were King in V8 Supercar... Holden had their s**t MacPherson strut suspension, siamese port cylinder heads and dogs**t rear panhard rod, the list goes on... You can argue all you like til you are blue in the face... Im proud to support the underdog... You have bias governing motorsport bodies, Bias motoring mags... d***head who like Holdens just because it is trendy... Ford is like the Spartans against the biggest company in the world GM...

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:05 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

jmraust wrote:
- Have any of you guys watched the "Brute Utes". The 5.4 looks to hold its own against the SS Ute... Considering this a production based catagory... It doesnt look to me that it is getting stomped... Hey I must be on crack...

They use a "performance adjustment system".
Aka parity.
Aka ballast.
Aka lead.

The rest of your post was just a crazy-man rant.
What does 308 port spacing have to do with LS2 vs mod motor!?!?!

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

Seen the new Supercar on the news last night, looks like a BF to me anyway, they only showed the front but lets face it, the G series doesn't look a whole lot different to the BF.

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

looks hot!.. a bit much side profile white though.. and more of a fan of the VT styled 'T" shaped rear wing".. british touring car mags look a lil pov.. bring back "5 spoke star rims"...

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2