Fordmods Logo

V8 EB2 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: V8 EB2
Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:49 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

I have an EB2 6 cyl and have access to a stock but very low millage V8 out of a NC2 Fairlane. It comes with matching auto and loom in fact it is whole car so I can get everything I need. Is it a huge pain in the a** or is it a pretty easy swap?? It has probably been mensioned before but I can't find a thred that covers it. The guy who owns the fairlane only wants 1900 dollars for it as it is a stat writeoff. But running gear is perfect. So is everything else from radiator back. The rest of the car is mint. If it is easy to swap I will do it but if it is too hard then I won't bother.

4 Litre Fury

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: XW

WA, Australia

Its all pretty straight forward swap as far as i know. (i looked into it for one of my cars)

Everything including all tyhe interior dash etc can be swapped if u want to.

Job is pretty big, but if you like car you have i say do it
Just need a place where you can pull everything apart/store it all.

If your cars a bit worse for wear it mit ebe better off buying a v8 falcon/fairmont rather than do the swap.

Just strip your car first so when u take soemthin off the NC you can put it straight onto the falcon, dont have to worry about remebering where things go :)

If you have a bit of extra cash, swap/work heads + cam while its not in the car, so u have a tough eng as of day one

Im gunna finger bang bang your mumma too

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Other thing ids if you car is EB onwards you should only have to telll the inspection ppl the eng number and itll get approved.
Theyll do teh usual pits inspection at the same time, ut you dont need permits etc as EB onward came out with a 5L windsor from factory

..thast if you bother doing that.
6 cyl rego is cheaper, so leave it for a while ;)

Only things you heed permits for is mods, ie extractors, heads...

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:01 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

My car is a fairmont so it pretty much has everything the fairlane has. the dash is identical exept for the instruments. the fairlane has that half digital one. I much prefere my full analogue one. But I guess I will have to get the tacho calibrated for a V8 in mine??

4 Litre Fury

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:13 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

most stuff from the fairlane will go straight into the eb, even the v8 crossmember is the same. just put the fairlane instrument cluster in, takes care of tacho (dunno bout speedo though, check ratios in fairlane compared to what you are gonna use). brakes are same on all falcon, fairmont, fairlane models in that era (look at any dba parts listing). the front/rear bias may be just a little different though. if you know how to change an engine, go for it.
oh, and the lsd is a must. wheelspin on every 90 degree takeoff otherwise.

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Wheel spin is ok... Will I have to worry about the body loom? The engine loom is different obviously but is the body loom different? I was hoping that I could just plug in the V8 computer into the existing loom?

4 Litre Fury

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I puchased a written off EB V8 as the donor car for my conversion. Paid $1800 and it naturally had everything I needed, plus more (which i sold off to recoup some funds)

The actual conversion could be done in a day, but my job was lengthened due to the fact that the car being converted had an engine bay fire (hence perfect opportunity to do the conversion). Lots of photos available.. do a search for a thread named 'Firey Fairmont'.. its in the Idle Chitchat forum here.

Basic things which need to be changed are engine, K Frame, gearbox, ecu, engine bay loom, front coil springs, ecu loom, cruise control computer (if applicable) and you need to add a trans computer (if running auto). You'll also need an exhaust system. You dont need to change the body loom, or the dash loom, so you can retain your cluster, but you will need to get your tacho recalibrated.. my tacho goes well off the guage before she shifts :P

Besides those things, its all plug and pray. The V8's run a dual diaphram brake booster. While I wouldnt imagine its compulsary to change the booster, it makes the conversion a bit more complete. Cant say Ive noticed any difference in pedal feel. Tailshaft, brakes, diff, fuel pump, fuel lines, radiator are all the same. One thing that I did notice is that the EB V8's dont run a sensor on the steering rack like the 4L, but this isnt a problem -same rack will do. It would be a problem if you were converting from 5L to 4L though.

My rego costs didn't increase (NSW).

Well worth the time and money. I've got a reasonably powerful (180+ RWKW) manual 6cyl, but i find the stock, auto V8 more enjoyable to drive with its humble 120RWKW

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:05 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Mate I wish you were in Brissy. I would feed you full of piss for a weekend and get you to give me a hand. I really want to do it. The 5.0L has only done 120k and is perfect plus the donor car being a failane the same age everything is there...exept the rediator which was basically wrapped around the engine from the smash it had been in.

4 Litre Fury

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

i have to ask why dont you just sell your car and buy a v8 eb the a*** has fallen out of them :( i own one lol but really ive seen xr8s for under five grand (whats my gl worth???) it may be easier and cheaper in the end i was even considering making mine manual but if i need a manual so bad i would sell it (the car) and buy an 5 speed xr

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

sweet eb wrote:
Mate I wish you were in Brissy. I would feed you full of piss for a weekend and get you to give me a hand. I really want to do it. The 5.0L has only done 120k and is perfect plus the donor car being a failane the same age everything is there...exept the rediator which was basically wrapped around the engine from the smash it had been in.

If you really want the conversion done, let me know, I'll be able to help you out with it ... It won't be for a few weeks at least yet, But email me on info@altedperformance.com

If you had the two cars here, Should not take long at all ..

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:05 am 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

v8fordman351 wrote:
i have to ask why dont you just sell your car and buy a v8 eb the a*** has fallen out of them :( i own one lol but really ive seen xr8s for under five grand (whats my gl worth???) it may be easier and cheaper in the end i was even considering making mine manual but if i need a manual so bad i would sell it (the car) and buy an 5 speed xr

This is true, but it depends on how much money, time and love have been put into other aspects of the car.

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

The conversion is quite simple as mentioned before, I used the 6cyl body loom but had to modify the altenator plug slightly, I aslo used the same front springs because I think you will find the V8 doesnt weigh that much more.
If you do the conversion I think you will find it is easier to drop everthing out from the bottom and leave the motor bolted the k-frame.

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:54 am 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

Black Betty wrote:
The conversion is quite simple as mentioned before, I used the 6cyl body loom but had to modify the altenator plug slightly, I aslo used the same front springs because I think you will find the V8 doesnt weigh that much more.
If you do the conversion I think you will find it is easier to drop everthing out from the bottom and leave the motor bolted the k-frame.

Thats how mine was done. Body was lifted over the engine and K Frame.

According to the RTA's data, the V8 is only 25KG heavier than the 4L. I've found since putting the V8 front springs in that the front sits alot higher than the back.. so i'm weighing up whether i put higher springs in the back, or lower springs in the front.

The only problem I had with using the 6cyl body loom was that being auto i needed all the wiring from the Trans Computer, which is integrated into the body loom, hence decided the best option was to use all original loom. I'm guessing yours is Manual?

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Waggin wrote:
Black Betty wrote:

Thats how mine was done. Body was lifted over the engine and K Frame.

According to the RTA's data, the V8 is only 25KG heavier than the 4L. I've found since putting the V8 front springs in that the front sits alot higher than the back.. so i'm weighing up whether i put higher springs in the back, or lower springs in the front.

The only problem I had with using the 6cyl body loom was that being auto i needed all the wiring from the Trans Computer, which is integrated into the body loom, hence decided the best option was to use all original loom. I'm guessing yours is Manual?

Hey waggin, do you kow of any major changes in the body looms between EB and EL? that would stop them from being interchangable?

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

Yeh, I converted my EB 6cyl to complete EL interior and engine, including full dash/body/engine looms. They're totally different.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]