Fordmods Logo

351mod, engine stalls out 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: 351mod, engine stalls out
Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: f150

Oustide Australia

i have a 78 f150 .when i first start it up it runs pretty good . but when i drive it for 2or3 min it acts like it is out of gas and shuts off .it will not start again for hours . dont have any idea what it could be .. :?: any ideas

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: xy faker, baxr6t

NSW, Australia

all the normal questions...

has it still got spark,

has it still got fuel getting to it,

etc ??

Keep Australia Beautiful. Drive a Ford.

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

Sounds to me like the dizzy is getting hot and playing up. Electronics have a nasty habit of doing this.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:57 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 410 Cube FE LTD

ACT, Australia

yep had the exactly the same problem on my 6 cyl falcon, it would drive like a charm and once it got hot (ie 20 minutes on the freeway) it would just stall and that was the end of it, but for some reason the next morning after i got it towed home (several times) it would start first time and be fine.
The problem with it is the module inside the dizzy is rooted and when it gets a bit of heat to it, it craps itself and doesnt function. probably cost around the 50- 100 dollar mark for a newy. This should fix ya problems.
Cheers John

Also if you are putting a new one in it, make sure you put some of that heat paste on it (like the stuff they put on CPU chips in computers) it usually helps it out a lot.

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

Ummm, why would you put heat sink compound on it ??? What this goo does is helps transfer of heat from an IC into the heatsink that it's bolted too. Covering something in this goo that is directly air cooled wont do anything.

If these dizzy modules have heat sinks then go ahead, put it on the mating surface. But AFAIK they don't.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]