Power steering leaking!!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Power steering leaking!!!
Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AU FAIRLANE

VIC, Australia

Have noticed that my power steering is leaking and seems to be coming from where the column joins the rack. There is a light blue electrical clip there for some sort of sensor and thats where its leaking. Any ideas what it is and if its easy to fix or an expensive job for the pros to do? Leaves a big pool so will be urgent to fix.
Its an au fairlane i6
thanks bobbie

Now with a hint of "BLING"

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

Hmm .. dunno .. power steering switch? .. dunno if it can leak from there or not ... all i know is, mine is leaking from the pump everywhere! ... will fix it one day .

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

sounds like the power steering switch, in our au2 we had this problem all the time, not hard to do yourself.
take off clip on the plug to the blue bit.
take off plug.
now you see that the switch is just a bolt and u just unscrew it and screw on the new one.
only problem is getin a spaner in there, i used one of those multipurpose ones that come with bikes.
not expensive either, shouldn't cost to much from ford either unless they stuff somethin else up iswell.

why do u write in here.

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Cheers will give it a go then. Hope it dont cost too much as the xmas joys have taken there toll. Thanks for the help and merry xmas to all

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

i go with the power steering pressure switch, already been through 2 of em' they start leaking out the back. i got the s**t with it and just plugged it up and bridged the wites never had a problem since. but they should only be around $54 for a new one

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

AU-MUSTD wrote:
Cheers will give it a go then. Hope it dont cost too much as the xmas joys have taken there toll. Thanks for the help and merry xmas to all

Definately the Power Steering switch, very common problem, cost about $30 from Bursons.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Got it today from repco for 45 bucks including 500ml of fluid to top it up. Will fit tommorow so do l need to know tricks or tips? Like bleeding the system or is it fine to just change then top up resevoir?

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

from memory you need a 14mm spanner a thin one! to unscrew the sensor. after its all in top up the fluit and turn your wheels full lock left and full lock right with the car running to bleed any air from the system and just take it for a little drive and check it again.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

What a nightmare to change! The prick at ford that designed that sensor in the spot its in should be shot! Had to remove the column and the steering rack and then bend me good 14 spanner on a wierd angle to get it out! I sure hope it doesnt leak again cause i'd nearly sell the car than do it again.

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Giha

QLD, Australia

AU-MUSTD wrote:
What a nightmare to change! The prick at ford that designed that sensor in the spot its in should be shot! Had to remove the column and the steering rack and then bend me good 14 spanner on a wierd angle to get it out! I sure hope it doesnt leak again cause i'd nearly sell the car than do it again.

Any other hints? Might have to do this in the next couple of weeks.

Weapon - EA Fairmont Ghia - Pedders lows, Neothane,

From another biker - Scott, you rode hard, lived hard, loved hard, Thanx's for your advice and RIP

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

find u'r self a thin spanner cheap one, then bent it and u should be able to fit it easy without taking the rack out or nothin, like i said before i use the multifit spanners that come with cheap bikes those flat ones, not a perfect fit but enough to get it tight.

why do u write in here.

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon EL

VIC, Australia

G'day all,

Sorry to bring up an old thread again, but this info might be useful for anyone who has to ever do it and are unfamiliar with it... I've come across this problem over the last couple of months and finally got around to fixing it today. After a bit of advice from my dad, the best way to go in getting the bolt undone, is with a crowfoot spanner, a wrench and an extension bit. The whole job took half an hour, and most of that was waiting for a bit of the power steering fluid to drain so I didn't get it all over me.

The best way to do it is putting your car up on ramps and going in from underneath. Take off the metal clip with a pair of pliars and store it somewhere safe. When you take the electrical connector off, power steering fluid is going to piss all over you if you're in the wrong spot.

There is a bit of space on the front side of the rubber boot for the steering rack to put your wrench in and slide the spanner bit over the bolt (it's a little fiddly at first). After about a quarter of a turn, it should unscrew by hand (use a rag, because it's quite greasy). Once it's off, you'll have a sudden outpouring of power steering fluid.

Screw the newly purchased power steering switch on after lubricating the supplied o-ring, then use your wrench to tighten it up. Clean up the electrical connector because it's probably still full of old fluid, then plug it in, clip in the metal clip, and Bob's your cousins father!

You may now take your freshly repaired Falcon off the ramps, then as per what's been earlier said in the thread, top up the system, then bleed it by turning the wheels lfull lock each way and going to a small drive then checking the level again.

Hope this is of help :)

M

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]