Fordmods Logo

Timing Case Cover 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Timing Case Cover
Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

About to replace the timing case cover on my EB V8.

Has anyone ever done this before? and if so are there any tricks of the trade that I should take into account whilst doing it?

Cheers if anyone can lend thier wisdom!

Phil

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

I take it you know the price of the replacement covers, about $800 from Ford last time I checked. To replace it you have to drop the sump, might be able to do it enough with the engine still in the car otherwise just undo the engine mounts and lift the engine slightly. Then remove the harmonic balancer, might help to take the radiator out for room too, once they are out, just remove the bolts and take it out (can leave the waterpump attached to the cover or remove it, whatever is easier.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

I learn't a long time ago that you should never buy from a Ford dealer when it comes to Parts.

I found a reco'd one for $165 and the whole thing looks brand new, so it should be a good thing.

I am told by a mechanic friend of mine that you can drop the sump just far enough without having to lift the motor. Hopefully that is the case, as it could be a bit of a handfull otherwise.

Cheers anyway. Will be doing the job over the next weekend so will keep my fingers crossed untill I am finished.

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Just make sure the cover is the correct one, there are a lot of aftermarket ones around, I have seen them on ebay and in some speed shops, and they are not the same as the aussie 5L cover. They may fit but they require a different waterpump at a minimum. Being able to drop the sump with the engine in the car is a huge bonus, it should be fairly straight forward them.

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:07 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ed futura

WA, Australia

finding the right gaskets is hard. we did one not long ago and that was the biggest time waster.

also remove the radiator, yah will find the extra room helpfull.

ummm... cant think of anything else atm but wiil post it if anything comes to mind.

www.thepurplecircle.com
original member.

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

You DON'T have to drop sump..Just undo / loosen front bolts then all the way to back just enough to lower front of sump to get front cover back in...The sump gasget is quite strong, it will seal up, but use some silastic...
You don't even need to lift engine...May as well replace timing chain while its apart? Rollmaster for $80.00

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
You DON'T have to drop sump..Just undo / loosen front bolts then all the way to back just enough to lower front of sump to get front cover back in...The sump gasget is quite strong, it will seal up, but use some silastic...
You don't even need to lift engine...May as well replace timing chain while its apart? Rollmaster for $80.00
yeah i agree this is how ive done old school windsors

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el v8

WA, Australia

Phil,
I recently changed the timing cover on my EL v8 and after much running around I found that Kilkenny castings make an aftermarket timing cover to suit EB thru to EL for $330.I got it from Coventrys.I also got a gasket set including crank seal for $28 also from coventrys.
I found the job very easy to do.No need to remove radiator.Just remove the belt pulley from the harmonic ballancer then put the bolts back in.Lever between the bolts to undo the crank bolt with a socket and knuckle bar.Invest in a harmonic balancer puller..They are great.
Loosen sump bolts either side about 3 or 4 bolts.Be sure to seal around the front crank seal as a poor seal here interferes with crankcase pressures and stuffs the EFI system around??
Hope this helps
Daz

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]