Fordmods Logo

NEED HELP WITH REMOVING BA XR6 MK2 IGNITION SWITCH. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: NEED HELP WITH REMOVING BA XR6 MK2 IGNITION SWITCH.
Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

Hi,my friends BA MK2 XR6 has a faulty ignition switch>He took it to Ford and told them of his problem which was that the car would just stall when going over bumps/When we removed the plastic cover from around the steering column,you can start the car and sometimes i wont start at all,but if you jiggle the ignition swith harness directly out of the back of the ignition switch assembly it will start and or stall when running.

Ford will not cover my mates car because its out of warranty because he didnt get it serviced every 6months,but he alwasy go tit serviced at FORD and that he always broguth it in to service at the service interval stickers that were replaced at each service on the windscreen.His car only has just over 50,000kms.My mate hit the dummy at them especially when he has purchased over 6 cars from this dealer over the years and has always taken his cars there (Ford brand).So then the nerve of Ford asked him when will they be fixing it and he said get stuffed and stormed out.Plus they said that a new column would cost around $2000 not fitted.

Ok my question is how can i remove the ignition switch???Because it is setup different to a AU one.I know there are 2 pins that can be removed and then you can replace the switch assembly.
Also what sort of money would my friend be looking at for a new switch???

Cheers Bryan

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Post subject: Re: NEED HELP WITH REMOVING BA XR6 MK2 IGNITION SWITCH.
Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

There is no switch available as it is supplied ONLY in the Column.

Ford controls the warranty and NOT the dealer, if they had top replace it they would have to pay for it. This vehicle IS out of warranty unfortunately so no Warranty.

The steering column costs about $940.00 retail and we have sold a few lately. There is also one other part in the column that may be giving trouble, the transceiver.

Why not suggest that your friend takes his car to an Auto Electrician and have them check it out to make sure WHAT it is that is faulty and, if it IS like you have said, the switch, write to FORD and complain to them and see what they will do?

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Have already taken it to a locksmith and an auto electrician,and the conclusion is that the ignition pigtale off the back of the ignition switch is buggered.As for the warranty it had extended warranty but supposedly it was voided because my friend didnt take it back every 6 months to have the service done.But yet it was serviced at every book service at the KM's shown but not at the dates.

Well Ford here said it was $2000 for the column.As for the faulty switch when the engine is running and you jiggle the main power wire on the back of the switch the car will stall.

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Like I said, that is the price from Ford Mtr Co. The Part number is BA 3C529 A up to September 2005 and from October 2005 the Part number is BAF 3C529 A and is $900.00.

I would still write to Ford Mtr Co and tell them of the trouble you are having and see what they will do. I have seen people get things done when they are out of the New Car Warranty so, worth a try.

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks for that help there Papa.Later this week my mate and i are going to start to pull the switch apart.Like my friend said he has nothing to loose.So if it works then its a bonus,if not then he will have to purchase a new column.cheers

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Late last week,my friend removed the ignition switch from his BA,he got his hands onto a AU i think series 3 ignition switch assembly.The auto electrician fitted the AU switch and connected it up properly and now the problem has been fixed/rectifyed.

So thanks for your help guys,plus didnt cost my mate much at all just abit of his own labour.

Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]