Fordmods Logo

fitting springs (lows) ??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: fitting springs (lows) ???
Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2004 BA XR6T

WA, Australia

hows it goin??
i brought lows for my car (EL) and fitting them now and don't know how the springs sit in the back??
any suggestions while i'm under the car??

04 BA XR6t auto
93 eb falcon

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

The rear springs will have one end that has a close together flattened end on the coil - and the other will have the end of the coil more open and separated (ie. end of spring not pressed against the next coil). The tighter end is the top, the open end is the bottom. You fit the rubber insulator to the top of the spring first (use screwdriver to spead the coil end to get it properly snuggled right into the end of the recess in the insulator). For the lower insulator you can do it either way - try to put the spring in place holding the insulator on it or put the insulator into the lower mount first. The location of the springs is determined by the shape of the lower mounting matching the shape of the bottom of the spring - you'll see what I mean as soon as you have a spring out.

If the springs are not labelled left and right (or Passenger and Driver side), then stand them next to each other and put the taller one on the driver side.

You need to jack up the rear of the car with a trolley jack under the diff and put chasis stands in - I put them just forward of the lower trail arms forward pivots. Next you remove the shockies, then lower the diff carefully until you can get the old springs out and fit the new ones in - CAUTION: THE MAXIMUM AMOUNT YOU CAN LOWER THE DIFF IS LIMITED BY THE BRAKE LINES - SO WATCH CAREFULLY EVERYTHING AS YOU LOWER THE DIFF AND BEWARE STRETCHING/BREAKING ANYTHING.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]