Fordmods Logo

nc fairlane overheats 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: nc fairlane overheats
Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

gday
my nc v8 fairlane overheats going up hills.i have had the radiator cleaned by rad wshop,and replaced thermostat,but still no good.sitting at lights and long periods of idle o.k.long trips and freway driving o.k.only up inclines and only takes about 10 minutes to overheat.any help would be appreciated.

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NC II Fairlane

NSW, Australia

i had a similar problem with mine , when the car is under load it overheats! have you had the radiator flushed and cleaned,did they clean out the s**t in those side thingeys on the radiator? u l;osing water? apart from that the only other thing i can think of is that maybe a hose is blocked.
hope that helps

cheers

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Now with el thermos fitted.

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

It depends on how they cleaned out the tank, sometimes they do a verry poor job so I usually just replace the tank instead. Also could be the fan viscous hub (they aren't thermos are they) or water pump although I think it will come down to either radiator or fan.

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

yeah they cleaned the cores out. no extenal leaks but sometimes does leak from overflow without overheating.the vacumm operated heater switch/valve? does drip when engine is cold but takes up when engine is warm.haven't checked water pump yet,but if water pump was f**ked would be evident on the long trips?yes/no?

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

the fan is viscous/clutch,but i was to believe the fan clutch was primarily to keep the engine cool at idle and in traffic.?but if this could contribute to the problem could u please explain so i could understand a little more into the workings of the fan clutch.
thanks

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

As the viscous hub gets old, the fan tends to slip more so its not actually moving as much air as it could so obviously the engine gets hotter. It is primarily designed for keeping the engine cool at idle and light throttle but if it is slipping at all then the cooling system won't be able to cope under heavy loads etc. I think there is a greater possibility that the radiator is still slightly blocked but its worth checking everything anyway.

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I bet this is it...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Replace the viscous fan with a thermo fan.

You could also run a davies craig electric water pump. They are extremely good at cooling an engine, although their controller is overly complicated and in my experience, doesn't work.

Edit: Or it could be that your pump is worn out.

Post subject: think mine's the water pump
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: NC fairlane + f150 4X4

VIC, Australia

I was cooking my nc a bit to so I replaced the rariator with 3core and put a new thermostat in 180 insted of 192 so I can bump ignition for premium fuel when I get the cooling sussed.

Found the car was still geting hot in traffic and unusually while going up hills even at 110kmh. at that speed the fan's probebly wouldn't be keeping up with airflow anyway which leaves water pump.

have orderd a high flow water pump from the states should be here in the next couple of weeks. I'm also ditching the clutchfan but thats just so I can fit the au xr8 snorkel as it fit's almost perfectly appart from the fan shroud being in the way.

If mistakes are the best way to learn why the hell arn't I a freekin genius yet.

I AM THE SPELLING KING BEHOLD MY
ineqati-inekwati-enequoati.....crapness!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]