Fordmods Logo

04 Territory TX - It's a good old girl 

Page 11 of 15 [ 215 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post subject: Re: 04 Territory TX - does a family Melbourne trip
Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

I need to check the inner diameter of the bearings and the spacing between the bearing faces. I know they have hubs at super cheap. I will take some measurements. The old retread tyres are disintegrating and I know what will happen if I wait till after the weekend trip to Grong Grong... Due to flooding it may be cancelled anyway? :roll: We should go still! if we are the only dogs there we will win best in show!
I am just a bit worried about the bridge being closed by Friday when we arrive at Narranderra. I had to drive to Wagga when I was going up to Kakado in July 1991 because Narranderra was closed out by floodwaters.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ahhh yes! the dollar. USA is so stuffed they may take a few years to climb again?

now then measurements.... hands all black now from old bearings yuk!

spinny things tech guide is good

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

According to the guide I have Holden bearings with a Ford inner seal. That's good I can use off the shelf parts.

Sorry for hijacking your thread... should start a new one I suppose.

It just started to rain here after I got the measurements. Quick refit and put all the junk back in the garage.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Tracey is looking to buy some suits from US. They have such a huge range at a very low price.

She would buy local preferably esp to try them on first but they are just not available here.

The bearings are pretty good actually. I checked and re-packed them as soon as I got the trailer 12 months ago. The seals are shot though as you would expect. I had a bearing disintegrate and the wheel fall off with my Dads little 6x4 trailer. I waqs straight onto making sure that wasn't about to happen on us up the bush somewhere.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I just checked your pictures. Always engage gear or park LOL. I had the hand brake let go on my mini once and ended up with a 1 day old windscreen smashed on a tree branch. lucky not much other damage. I was at a mates place with VERY steep driveway. Drum brakes shrink when they cool! :oops:

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I get you, as soon as you pressed the clutch it started rolling and you were turning the key at the same time and the brakes are REALLY hopeless with no vacuum. It all happened in a second and you just went WHAT THE!!!!

Oh yeah the hubs were $45 at super cheap.... I have seen them for $27 at spinny things or master trailer parts. I will go there tomorrow during work.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The perils of living with a steep sloping driveway. How bad was the wagon. I could only see one door in the photo?

success.... one set of christmas light working again with a newly modified power supply for the chippie thingie that makes all the pretty patterns LOL

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I tapped the guard on the terry a few months ago Whilst manouvering the ute. I cannot see a thing through the cargo box. The quote is over $2k. I cannot believe it costs over $2k for a new guard painted and fitted. That is: $400 for the guard, $400 to paint it EGO and another grand to remove and refit. Its an insurance job of course but its crazy.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

My 2 year old EL wagon got written off ten years ago just because the A piller was bent. It just needed a bumper, guard, door, support panel straightening, headlight, windscreen, a new alloy wheel, a little patch up at the top corner of the roof and it was fixed....

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Last edited by Rick's EF Fairmont Wagon on Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hey I had a great idea today as to how to build myself a scissor style car lifter.
I got and email from an auto service company for a discount service promotion.
In the picture was a car on a hoist!

I have several large pneumatic rams from bank screens. I have been holding on to these things for over ten years with several projects in mind. I can easily build a super hoist using rams for lifting power.
Having a hoist would make car repairs a viable prospect at home.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

If you can work sitting on an old swivel chair with the back removed that would be perfect in my opinion. Hoists are very hard to get at a good price. An old mate of mine has his own service business and he spent years chasing cheap ones in the trading post.

Evidently the hoist companies would buy them the instant they were listed for sale or they would buy them when a business closed down as they knew everyone.

I can get some steel RHS from scrap metal dealers

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I have 2 big Ingersol Rand 40 3ph compressors I picked up from junk.

One day soon......

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Another 1100klm in the Terry over the weekend and I still felt pretty fresh. I too find that the miles zoom by and I feel comfortable and happy, enjoying the cruise. The trailer hubs turned out to have odd size seals as well. I had to get them special order from the CBC warehouse in sunshine. At least they had them.. $22 for seals.... the hubs were only $54 for the pair including bearings and new nuts. BARGAIN!

Andrew and I fitted them with the old EF steel wheels and tyres before I went to work on Thursday morning. The guards barely cleared which I was expecting. We drilled out the rivets and extended them after work whilst loading up. The dog trailer now rides much better and smoother with the larger diameter and width of wheels. 13"x175 now up to Ford 15"x205 It tracks along really well now and I think the dogs enjoy the smoother ride. I have a set of NA alloys so I may have the tyres swapped over for a better finish.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Fitting the Ford hubs and EF wheels has increased the track by about 40-50mm. This is not a problem except for guard clearance. We fixed that with a bit of Makita help! :) :idea: The wider track has probably helped to make the trailer even more stable which is a bonus. So long as you have enough clearance under your guards then the trailer should be ok.

I am normally a bit stiff and sore after a day in the FG ute, but none of that in the Terry.

One thing that does piss me off though in both the newer cars. The lumbar adjustment won't stay locked. I crank it right out for lots of support and over a couple off weeks it seems to wind right back again.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

More trailer fun.

I went across town with the tandem trailer yesterday. 12 months ago I decided the Classic's tyres were a little on the bald side so swapped the wheels with the project Fairmont which were as new
Nankangs when I bought it. Anyway the kids decided we should put the old wheels on the trailer.

The kids played with trolley jacks etc and after some time the trailer was sitting on alloy wheels.
I tightened one side's nuts as they were working.

One they were finished we put the trailer away and we all agreed the trailer looked great with the alloys fitted.

So yesterday it was off to the other side of town for a big load of Oregon timber for the pergola project.

We came off the Westgate bridge and I thought I felt a big wobble trough the car but thought it was just the whole thing being pretty stuffed. A few more km up the road we went through the tunnel and then bang, trailer lurched, scraping noises. I thought it had broken the drawbar. I pulled over 4 lanes as last as possible. looking for somewhere to stop. I had to go about 400m to the emergency stopping space. Well then, 2 wheels had fallen off the passenger side. The wobble was loose nuts and one wheel gone already earlier. The last stud had sheared off and the tyre gouged on the guard as it went. I recovered one wheel after we drove back and made a loop. Still no sign of the other wheel. I suspect it came off well before the final crunch.

I was lucky in one respect though!
Two of the old wheels were inside the trailer. Pretty soon we were back on the road with some juggling of wheel nuts and blocking of the bottle jack. Out at the next exit and in for some air. We continued on and got the timber and visited Bob Jane's for some more nuts. All good apart from a lost wheel and bent guard. Lucky no one was hurt and no other cars damaged. I wonder if i will ever find the wheel. I will not be driving the freeway for a while so I don't think i will find it?

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Sort by  
 Page 11 of 15  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next