Fordmods Logo

220kw 5L rebuild 

Page 2 of 15 [ 211 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:05 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I know the engines probably shouldn't run that rich but put it this way, at least I'm not burning /recessing valves and damaging pistons.
Seconndly who knows how well the equipment was working.
Why do I sense sarcasm in the air? They crank out like 350hp out of stock 302's in the US, better then what most of you have here.

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:49 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

350rwhp in the states would be on a dynojet.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF XR8 & 2002 GSXR-1000

WA, Australia

t2te50 wrote:
Why do I sense sarcasm in the air? They crank out like 350hp out of stock 302's in the US, better then what most of you have here.

XH5LWEPN wrote:
bring it on i say, put us all to shame :D

Doesn't sound like sarcasm to me. Sounds like a challenge. After all the talking down you have done in the other threads recently, when it was so simple to be supportive, do you really expect everyone else to be right behind you??

The fast fun: Suzuki GSXR1000
The one I use when I can't use the fast fun: Blown EF XR8

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Steady ED wrote:
350rwhp in the states would be on a dynojet.

and their Mustang's are lighter by a fair bit and consequently post faster times.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:30 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Kilma wrote:
t2te50 wrote:

XH5LWEPN wrote:
bring it on i say, put us all to shame :D

Doesn't sound like sarcasm to me. Sounds like a challenge. After all the talking down you have done in the other threads recently, when it was so simple to be supportive, do you really expect everyone else to be right behind you??

I don't talk anyone down mate. I question them about some of the things they've done and why? Thats what forums are for aren't they?
i like to point out faults because in most low budget builds (now lets not kid ourselves) things rarely go according to plan. I think XH5LWEPN will attest to this.

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Quote:
="t2te50......I question them about some of the things they've done and why? Thats what forums are for aren't they?

Yep, so be equally prepared for questions as you have certainly raised a few in your comments so far along with some bad part decisions, but no probs it's a free world and your engine. :D

But let’s clear the air on a few issues first, ie noway did you have .020’ piston clearance as it would have sounded like a f..cked diesel, minor offset pins aren’t going to be any major help on rpm, you really should work out it's compression beforehand as it is possible it could be no better so it would be wise to check it.

But if you seriously think that combination will net you around 350rwhp you are dreaming. You won't see anywhere near those figures as the heads are wrong, the cams wrong and we don't know what manifold you intend using but it's probably also wrong :D.

However, it’s your project and as you indicate a budget build so it still will be a good basic engine for all to follow so keep the info coming.

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

t2te50 wrote:
Why is everyone so paranoid about cam size? Can't be bothered getting an outdated e303 cam and then enduring never ending tuning problems like some, for what? to run a couple of tenths quicker down the 1/4 mile?

It just seems a shame to be running some half-decent heads, only to leave a whole bunch of flow back up in the ports because the valve is only opening 0.480"...

I dont really understand your commitment to std type cam, and std tune.....just seems a bit mismatched to me. At least with such a mild cam, you should be able to get away with the std GT40 valvesprings.

Id be interested in understanding the difference between the x306/x307 and the x303/x305 heads. There seems to be very little info about these newer castings.

Good luck making the 13's, ill be watching with interest.

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF XR8 & 2002 GSXR-1000

WA, Australia

t2te50 wrote:
I don't talk anyone down mate. I question them about some of the things they've done and why? Thats what forums are for aren't they?
i like to point out faults because in most low budget builds (now lets not kid ourselves) things rarely go according to plan. I think XH5LWEPN will attest to this.

Yes, that is what they are for, but your first set of posts in XH5L's thread weren't exactly friendly, were they? It all went downhill from there. You were talking down his mate in the AU saying your stock one is faster, blah blah. Maybe not directly, but it was implied. Certainly could have gone about it in a lot nicer manner, and you wouldn't have gotten the backlash you did, and are still getting.

Anyway, as with what everyone else has said, I'm keen to see the results here, and see if you walk the walk as well as talk the talk.

I do wish you all the best in your build, and hope you reach the limits you are hoping to. It will just show how good the Windsor really can be so simply.

The fast fun: Suzuki GSXR1000
The one I use when I can't use the fast fun: Blown EF XR8

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:34 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

ozrunner wrote:
Quote:
="t2te50......I question them about some of the things they've done and why? Thats what forums are for aren't they?

Yep, so be equally prepared for questions as you have certainly raised a few in your comments so far along with some bad part decisions, but no probs it's a free world and your engine. :D

But let’s clear the air on a few issues first, ie noway did you have .020’ piston clearance as it would have sounded like a f..cked diesel, minor offset pins aren’t going to be any major help on rpm, you really should work out it's compression beforehand as it is possible it could be no better so it would be wise to check it.

But if you seriously think that combination will net you around 350rwhp you are dreaming. You won't see anywhere near those figures as the heads are wrong, the cams wrong and we don't know what manifold you intend using but it's probably also wrong :D.

However, it’s your project and as you indicate a budget build so it still will be a good basic engine for all to follow so keep the info coming. .

Sorry I meant .020, .20 it wouldn't even run.
The reason I'm keeping everything so tame is because I want to keep the cars excellent fuel efficiency and driveability. I did question my machinist about the comp ratio, he said it will only come up by a couple of points (9.6-1).

As you can see the lower part of the explorer manifold has really been opened up, but so has everything. The cam is the LARGEST cam tickford built (even larger then 250kw and 220kw motors). Personaly my goal is to run a 13.8 second quarter mile at over 100mph.

Time dedication and attention to detail will definitely be the key factors here. Just from the port lob alone I picked up 4kmh and almost .2 of a second.

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Sorry I meant .020, ......

But that's what you did say and at 020" it would rattle like a F'd diesel :D but not to worry, it's now old news.

The cam is the LARGEST cam tickford built (even larger then 250kw and 220kw motors).

Tickford cams etc are still very mild so mum's can take them shopping :D so it's not a cam for extracting hidden hp.

You can still get good mpg with a strong engine so don't be afraid to go outside the square.

Personaly my goal is to run a 13.8 second quarter mile at over 100mph.

Time will tell and it's a reasonable goal to shoot for.

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:50 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

http://blufiles.storage.live.com/y1pAt2 ... eirE_27lug
ground down butterfly stop so can open at right angles.
http://blufiles.storage.live.com/y1pAt2 ... 3NYIqDrJrc
My CAI, spent all of 3 hrs devising lol.
http://blufiles.storage.live.com/y1pAt2 ... r2u7o6Qw94
My oil baffle, did these cars come out with one? had a new sump put on by insurance thats why I ask.
http://blufiles.storage.live.com/y1pAt2 ... LSpIgZWPN8
http://blufiles.storage.live.com/y1pAt2 ... BbEzPwDrFI
Yes pretty shagged to say the least

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

t2te50 wrote:

Isnt this a "low budget" build? After all you have said you want to keep the build under $6000 :? . I have alot of doubt you will get 350hp out of this engine mate, but im sure you may be able to slip a couple of favours to your dyno operator to bump up that figure :wink: . But as you always say power figures dont mean s**t, so bring on this 13.8@100+mph, i'll be waiting...........

Also what hasnt gone to plan in my engine build?
As far as i'm concerned i have been quite suprised how well my combo has gone, especially since the e-303 is known as a "pig" of a cam. After thte next tune is all up hill from there, 13.8's will be a thing of the past. As for the sarcasm, jus trying to bring myself down to your level.

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:44 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1tgjRO61dI

This is a small clip of the beast in its natural environment. The orientation of the clip isn't the best, darn operator (me).
My mate was popping bricks LOL :D

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Upside down, upside downnnnn

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

Scaffy wrote:
Upside down, upside downnnnn
ROLLER SKATES ON THE ROOF,BEING TOWED?

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 15  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next