62 XL Falcon Wagon 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 62 XL Falcon Wagon
Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

Lately I've been looking for a project, so I've been keeping my eyes out for a nice base, I looked at many compromises xb's ef/el's xf's but I've always had a thing for 60s panelvans and wagons.
When I finally found a 62 falcon wagon, the interior was stripped, fair bit of rust and not running, the carby was seized and the fuel line rusted out. :lol:
No problem atleast I can go down my path without having destroyed a stunner like some do.
Just a base model no radio upspec, and 650 odd k's on the clock.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

Very cool indeed. I love the old fords, i would love an XM.

Fix the rust, bag it, venetians, and your on your way to awesomeness.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:31 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA MkII XR8 and XE Sedan 351

NSW, Australia

two tone paint,eg white roof,blue lower half,some whitewalls, dropped,and a decent 250 crossflow u couldnt go wrong! What are your plans for this great car in the making?

BRING BACK THE CLEVELAND!!!

My daily driver-1995 EF Falcon 5 speed 4lt
My project car/weekend warrior-1982 XE Falcon with 351 clevo power,new target is Sydney Powercruise!!
Now wrecking-1989 EA Falcon s-pack 5 speed CFI

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XW Falcon

WA, Australia

Mmmm sixties falcons. Go the mooneyes/rat style. Suits these cars so well. Nice score

1970 XW - Soon to be rebuilt

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah I'm actually thinking go the rat style, and possibly pano conversion basically plate up the rear windows and weld up the rear doors.

Maybe try and get a custom wrought iron grill even, as it's the one bone I have to pick with it, it just looks a little flimsy lightweight for such a heavy solid lined car.
Thinking matt black with red and chrome accents dumped on it belly.

but first on the to do list is buy a welder/ learn to weld, hehe.
Rust repairs then I'll go from there, even the dash has bloody rust holes... :lol:

Also thinking whether a v8 conversion might be down the track along with updated running gear, decent sound system, maybe even climate control electric windows with dark tint, thinking use the original winders like a rocker switch. Also keep the back functioning manually aswell as electrically.
An old car made to look like a rat style with all the mod cons, but nicely hidden.
Even thinking a bench seat with fold down armrest concealing a bunch of controls maybe climate and rear window controls or something.

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

OZBMX wrote:
Yeah I'm actually thinking go the rat style,

Thinking matt black with red and chrome accents dumped on it belly.

You may have seen my mates XM getting around. He lives in jimboomba. His XM sedan is done as a rat rod style car, matt black, with a gloss white roof, black a white checkers in the engine bay, polished moon discs, and venetieans. Its f**k cool man.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:59 am 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

I love early falcons, ive owned a few and currently have an XM Delux.
I wouldnt turn her into a panny sure there ultra cool but the old wagons have a charm of there own.
Easy mods are replace that old 170 or 144 with a 221 or a 250 but they sit higher put a 250 2v head on her a decent gearbox with the simple XY-XF front brakes or XR-XW if you dont want the shim on your tie rods.
That would be a nice ride in that format and if you want in the future you can fit a Windsor with a full brake conversion.
Love the wagon we need more Early Birds on the road.

Mk2 Zephyr
2011 XR6 Special edition

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

ohhhhhhh.... I had a green one of those.. cept it was an XP.. but same thing really..

does it have a floor? they were the first thing to go on the old girls..

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:25 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XH XR6

NSW, Australia

please don't go rat style!!!

its been done to the s**t lol no offence. but i reckon classic is the only way to go. a good cruiser is the best thing in the world!!!

If it's got tits or wheels, it'll give you hell!!!.....

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

i agree - put it back to brand new stock "out of the factory" will get much more praise - you can hide a stereo up under the dash etc to modernise it a bit, but nothing like stock 60's falcons .. I got some XP Fairmont pics on here somewhere...

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I don't know, factory would be nice, but I just think it could be to hard to achieve it, I could find my self searching for so many years trying to get my hands on certain stuff, eg correct tyres, paint etc. even the fact XL wagon rear seats would be damn hard to come by I suspect.

I don't know though there's so many possibilities.

Post subject: Re: 62 XL Falcon Wagon
Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ah well no real update, just stripped it down a little and start grinding it back to the actual metal, f**k their a lot of bog mixed in with rust, not including all the obvious. :lol:
oh and got a few parts including front doors

Bit of advice needed though, does anybody know who I can see with regards to legalities, because I'm hoping to go v8 either new or old, undecided, and delievery van but could do with some advice, etc.

I rang up early birds, they seem to know about it but I didn't get the feeling I sort of want somebody to bounce ideas off preferably in person that actually knows the legalities, as advice, is useful, but I really need advice, from somebody, who could be ticking off the papers etc.
but not very much of the opinion that we'll only tick off work we've done etc.
As I felt he was trying to keep his details to himself, I felt only prices of what you'd be looking at on the whole job, whereas I'm more interested in pricing on getting papers ticked off and to get a bit of advice, I understand that peoples time is valuable and I may need to pay to discuss it, but if I can get a bit more focus on where I'm going it's worth it.

Maybe I'm completely out but I was getting ballparks like 40 grand on the v8 conversion, I would've thought you'd be that ballpark to do the job not just check it over, and sign it off.

But the thing is I would largely prefer to do most the work myself, as It's largely about doing the job and learning and less about the result.

Also what do people think of 500 for an old cleveland, not sure on condition just down the wreckers loose, but I'm hoping to completely rebuild whatever engine I get, particularly with my job maybe do something a little interesting with the finish on it.

Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:54 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BF F6 Typhoon. XP Van.XF Hearse

NSW, Australia

I don't know what the laws & regulations are like in QLD regarding bigger engine conversions in XK - XP's, But in NSW you have to do same amount of work to fit a 250 or a V8.

I used to have an XP ute that I converted to a 289 + C4. I bought a rolled XR Fairmont with a reco'd 289 & swapped the running gear over to the XP. It is best to get a complete donor car so you can use the accelerator set up,speedo cable etc instead of chasing seperate parts.

To get my XP engineered approved for the V8 conversion cost me $300 for the report. That was for - The engine & trans + conversion kit, LS Centura diff, Brakes (F&R), wheels, 2 1/2" exhaust & the noise & brake test + $40 for a weighbridge ticket for rego purposes. My car had to have all the safety features as the donor car - Disc brakes, 2 speed heater/demister, windscreen washers, seat belts etc and if the engine was a 302 - a collapsible steering column.

A Clevo is too heavy & big for an Early Falcon - Stick to a Windsor or a 250, Or if you want less hassles - A 221 from a XT - XW. They are the same length as your original 170 & fit straight in with little work, A 250 is longer & you have to chop out the radiator support panel & have to run a thermo fan due to clearance problems.

Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

brings back memories of my XP with the pursuit 170... bloody awful clutch setup they had.. whenever I dumped it.. the linkage would jump off the side of the box and I've have to use a jack to get it back in there.. ended up chaining the engine to limit the twist..

good old days.... :-)

Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:38 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BF F6 Typhoon. XP Van.XF Hearse

NSW, Australia

frankieh wrote:
brings back memories of my XP with the pursuit 170... bloody awful clutch setup they had.. whenever I dumped it.. the linkage would jump off the side of the box and I've have to use a jack to get it back in there.. ended up chaining the engine to limit the twist..

good old days.... :-)

Yep! The good old days :)

I saw a guy one night drop the clutch in his XL sedan in reverse - Broke both engine mounts & Fan straight into the radiator! He popped the bonnet and here's the engine was laying sideways in the engine bay - The only thing that stopped the engine falling on the ground was the draglink & the swaybar.

It took him about 2 hours with 5 borrowed bottle jacks to get it back in place + fixing the mangled gear, clutch & accelerator linkages,hoses, radiator & exhaust - It would have been easier to tow it home! :mrgreen:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next