Fordmods Logo

Ba into xh no k frame mods 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Ba into xh no k frame mods
Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NL FAIRLANE BA TURBO POWERED

VIC, Australia

Is this possible ? Have a read of this any opinions would be great.
http://www.boostedfalcon.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26342

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Ba into xh no k frame mods
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 2004 ba xr6 turbo

NSW, Australia

lol, don't mean to sound rude man, but obviously its possible, because he did it? he shouldn't have modded the sump like that, he should have modded the k frame instead.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

LOLHSV wrote:
he shouldn't have modded the sump like that, he should have modded the k frame instead.

WTF. Sump mod is a far better way to do it.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
LOLHSV wrote:
he shouldn't have modded the sump like that, he should have modded the k frame instead.

Thats what I was thinking, and isn't it less of a hassle do shave the front.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Froudey wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
LOLHSV wrote:

Yep and you're not cutting into a structural member.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NL FAIRLANE BA TURBO POWERED

VIC, Australia

Every report I have read said this is not possible so I was just wondering if it would affect oil flow etc or is XH K frame slightly diff to EL K frame. Would make conversions much simpler.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:08 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL GLi

tickford_6 wrote:
Froudey wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
LOLHSV wrote:

Yep and you're not cutting into a structural member.

Yeah, it's just so much simpler. Stuff up the sump mod, and you can go grab another AU sump from a wrecker. Whereas if you stuff up the k-frame mod, it's a lot more hassle. Plus you have to get the k-frame mod engineered. It's just not worth hassling with when the alternative is a cheaper, simpler and easier mod.

Build Thread

the-garage-f53/benno-the-viking-s-el-t111731.html

Ain't nuthin' to it but do it!

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

yeah fkn oath modding the sump is easier, but its the dodgy way out, in my opinion, if he were to do a proper job, he would have modded the k frame to suit the sump... im not fighting any one over it, that's my 2 cents anyway.....

"Yeah, it's just so much simpler. Stuff up the sump mod, and you can go grab another AU sump from a wrecker. Whereas if you stuff up the k-frame mod, it's a lot more hassle. Plus you have to get the k-frame mod engineered. It's just not worth hassling with when the alternative is a cheaper, simpler and easier mod."

everything u said there is true, except he'd need an engi cert whether he modded the k frame or not, considering the mods he was doing??

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:27 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

LOLHSV wrote:
yeah fkn oath modding the sump is easier, but its the dodgy way out, in my opinion, if he were to do a proper job, he would have modded the k frame to suit the sump... im not fighting any one over it, that's my 2 cents anyway.....

How do you come to the conclusion that modifying the sump is a dodgy way out. It is actualy the best option, Sump mod is safe, no issues to the structural safety of the car and is a much cheaper and easier option.

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

au is easier to mod than a BA engine. BA also has the oil pump at the front of the motor so you cant "just" shave it. it needs to be stepped to clear the pump. not impossible to do. As long as the K frame has been strengthed properly I would have no problems doing it. The whole engine conversion doesnt need to be engineered, only the K frame mod. and as long as you use the cat and ecu from the donor car it will be legal

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

LOLHSV wrote:

"Yeah, it's just so much simpler. Stuff up the sump mod, and you can go grab another AU sump from a wrecker. Whereas if you stuff up the k-frame mod, it's a lot more hassle. Plus you have to get the k-frame mod engineered. It's just not worth hassling with when the alternative is a cheaper, simpler and easier mod."

everything u said there is true, except he'd need an engi cert whether he modded the k frame or not, considering the mods he was doing??

So can give any reason as to why you think it's the dodgy way?

I can't believe people were stupid enough to cut in to the K frames in the first place when these conversions first started to get done.

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

The front of "k" frame in EF / EL can be edited quite simply. Just cut a "box" section out and weld in a flat piece of steel about 180 x 70mm to suit the section removed and then put the ends on it... Actually is stronger than the original once completed properly.

Sump modifications are easy enough too, if you are (or know of) a decent alloy welder. The only issue there is that the sump was designed to allow oil flow in a certain way.

As you know the big end (pistons) and the crank are going to create turbulence and throw the oil around in there. By removing the front inch or two of sump you may be disrupting the intended fluid dynamic of the inside shape of the sump.

In the E series sump you have a baffle (a metal plate suspended about half an inch above the lower section of sump with gaps at each end) around the pump intake.

I have only ever removed half a dozen engines / gearboxes of Ford Falcon variety and only ever installed two or three, and am first to admit I am, and always will be, a car novice.

But I have removed and installed a number of K-Frames too, and the amount of extra work (if you have engine out anyway) is pretty much insignificant. Especially if you are keen to paint the engine bay whilst in there...

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

fiend wrote:
The front of "k" frame in EF / EL can be edited quite simply. Just cut a "box" section out and weld in a flat piece of steel about 180 x 70mm to suit the section removed and then put the ends on it... Actually is stronger than the original once completed properly.

Sump modifications are easy enough too, if you are (or know of) a decent alloy welder. The only issue there is that the sump was designed to allow oil flow in a certain way.

As you know the big end (pistons) and the crank are going to create turbulence and throw the oil around in there. By removing the front inch or two of sump you may be disrupting the intended fluid dynamic of the inside shape of the sump.

In the E series sump you have a baffle (a metal plate suspended about half an inch above the lower section of sump with gaps at each end) around the pump intake.

I have only ever removed half a dozen engines / gearboxes of Ford Falcon variety and only ever installed two or three, and am first to admit I am, and always will be, a car novice.

But I have removed and installed a number of K-Frames too, and the amount of extra work (if you have engine out anyway) is pretty much insignificant. Especially if you are keen to paint the engine bay whilst in there...

The BA has windage tray fitted.

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

so fiend pretty much summed it up for me, as to why I THINK modding the sump is the dodgy/ easy way out, its just an opinion, if u have a different one than good on you, im not gonna fight a bunch of 50 yr olds about it, nothing u say to try and convince me other wise, will make me change my mind. I mean no disrespect to the older fellas u guys would know so much more than me, like i said, its just my opinion about it, and fiend summed it up for me perfectly

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I find it interesting you both believe that about a mass produced cost vs: function compromised part.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next