Fordmods Logo

BenJ's EB DOHC T5 Ghia Wagon 

Page 22 of 201 [ 3004 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 201  Next

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

I remember someone bought some toyota/denso motors from oatley electronics.

I found mine in a mitsubishi at pick a part. had to smash a window to get them out.... oh well i have spend thousands there over the years.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:13 am 
Fordmods Junkie

I cant belive that this is a topic of discussion again, can you stll buy the factory door lock acuators from ford? I bet if you can thay are sadly overpriced.

Then you have second hand ones from the wrckers IMO you dont know what your getting this way and may find 6 months down the track you are changing the same one again.

i think the wise move is to not change the whole lot unless you 3 or more that are f**k, in other words if you only have 1 broken get a new factory one its prolly cheaper than a set of 4 after markets.

I have now had 4 smartlock falcons and have never had any issue with the factory actuators but that does not mean i am a fan of them either.

just leave them they work and if they dont change them over its as simple as that

Got that boys and girls

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Small Update.

Had a nice sleep in, and a quiet afternoon. I did make a trip to the RTA and finally transferred the Wagon ownership. The Red EB had it's rego cancelled, and I was able to keep the number plates, so that way another bit of the car will live on in the Wagon. It does look better with the White plates.

Then early this evening, after it had cooled down a bit, I got all motivated and now the ED engine is all unbolted and disconnected, ready to be lifted out in the morning.

The EL engine will recieve the Log Manifold off the ED engine currently in the wagon, the XH Tensioner and of course the T5 before going. The extractors go in afterwards.

Hopefully by the end of the day tomorrow, it will all be done. The weather should be a fair bit cooler.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ashcook wrote:
I think you should fit a tickford leather steering wheel Ben. I think it'll complete the EL interior off. Unless you have the red wheel for a reason that I have not read about or may not remember.

If you are referring to the EB/ED Momo wheel, then yes, if one comes along at a good price I may consider it.

But if your a talking about those bloody awful airbag wheels of any description, then no, I won't be going down that path.

So apart from my apparent dislike of the EF-AU steering wheels, :D the other reason is that I am using an EB steering column, and the later model wheels do not fit. I also like that I can have a steering wheel that is unique as I am not bound by legalities etc. And I still have my custom cruise control as well so there is no loss of functionality.

Cheers
BenJ

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

Oh boy, you are a sucker for punishment aren't you, working out there in the damn heat today! Still, better to do it now and get it done so you can sit back end enjoy your creation. The wagon looked bloody nice when I saw it today!

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Yeahp. Those damn airbags wheels most of us are stuck with are a b**ch. May just take the whole air bag thing out one day. Not too sure about the legalities of that in NZ........

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

I had an accident once when I wrote off the EL wagon I used to have. The only injury I had was scratches on my arms from the airbag seams.

As for the lock actuators that EL had crazy problems and the whole set were replaced under warranty by Ford dealer service. No more problems. The only fault with my current car 363000klm was a few years ago when water had go into the plug between the door and body loom. corroded pin. Of course I spent 2 hours stuffing with the door actuator first.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Hay Ben quick Q, why dont you re-build the EL engine before you throw i in? Throw a new set of bearings and rings in and shave the head to up the comp for the lpg. You can do it for less than $500.

Also i reckon the trim on the tailgate and windscreen would look better in gloss imo. I reckon give it a hit with clear coat it will gloss the satin and also make it easyer to clean.

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

Hi BenJ, i recall you fiddling with a couple of different model cruise controls, you said one was much simpler and easier, which was that? I may be getting an EL fairmont.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

FLASH wrote:
Hay Ben quick Q, why dont you re-build the EL engine before you throw i in? Throw a new set of bearings and rings in and shave the head to up the comp for the lpg. You can do it for less than $500.

Also i reckon the trim on the tailgate and windscreen would look better in gloss imo. I reckon give it a hit with clear coat it will gloss the satin and also make it easyer to clean.

+1 for semi recoing the motor.

+1 glossing the satin

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

FLASH wrote:

Hi Flash, Good to hear from you mate.

Apart from a very distinct lack of funds, the EL engine is still in very good nick, and with less than 200k on the clock there is no need for a rebuild.

And besides, it is already in LOL.

I prefer the Satin Look over the gloss.

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
Hi BenJ, i recall you fiddling with a couple of different model cruise controls, you said one was much simpler and easier, which was that? I may be getting an EL fairmont.

Hi Mate. Yes, I have played with both Eseries types of Cruise Control.

The Boxcar version is an overcomplicated piece of nonsense that combines a wierd vacuum setup and minimal electronics.

The EF/EL version is all in one single modual and is completely electronic. Much nicer, and it what I retrofitted to the Red EB, and shortly will also be in the EB Wagon.

Cheers
BenJ

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

UPDATE!!!!

Yes, the EL engine is now in the Wagon.

We started this morning at about 8.30, and had it out sitting on the concrete shortly after.

The swapping of the Log Manifold and T5 was smooth sailing. Troyman dropped around at my request, as I had forgotten to buy another spigot bearing, so we went for a short excursion to Bursons.

I also got an engine mount, as funnily enough, both engine mounts were broken.

Before we ducked out, I sanded and painted the ED water pipes.

The engine was reinstalled early afternoon and the rest of the day was spent piecing it all back together.

Oh, and I connected the gearbox wiring to the neutral switch, so the wagon can not start in gear.

Then it was time to turn it over and see if it would run.

YES!!!! CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG

%&*()#%&#$@)&$@)*@#$#@% Not AGAIN Yes AGAIN

It would seem that when I put the EL engine down on the ground with a brick under the back so keep it level, the sump pushed up ever so slightly so that now the BLOODY CRANKSHAFT WAS HITTING THE SUMP!!!! AGAIN!!!!

Seems this engine has to have its say before performing better than it should.

The fix this time involved the strategic placement of a long 1/2 extension bar up the side of the sump between it and the gearbox support leg, and then whacking the s**t out of with my 4 pound hammer. This action pushed the side of the sump inwards and the bottom of it downwards, creating the needed clearance and a fabulous lack of CLANG .

Took the wagon for a run, and I am quite surprised at how much better it goes than the ED engine. I wouldn't expect the addtion of extractors to make that much difference. So as Paulmac has suggested, this EL engine must be a Wednesday engine, and is just a good one. I think he must be right.

No pics for now, but I will get some tomorrow.

Cheers
BenJ

Last edited by BenJ on Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

If worse came to worse and you know some one good with a welder you can weld a few washers vertically to the bottom of the sump and use a slide hamer to pull it back out again. Would even work on the side of the sump where you bashed it if you can get to it. Thats only if you can be bothered, but it sounds like its ok now.

Next time sit the engine on a old tyre aye :)

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Nicely done mate, look forward to a few pics.

did you say you went to bunnings to buy a spiggot bearing?

bad luck about the sump but atleast you knew what to do and fixed it without removing the motor.

did i mention that i am a fan of your work lol

Josh

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

joshie007 wrote:
did you say you went to bunnings to buy a spiggot bearing?

OOPS - that should have been Bursons LOL

Post now edited.

BenJ

Sort by  
 Page 22 of 201  [ 3004 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 201  Next