Fordmods Logo

BenJ's EB DOHC T5 Ghia Wagon 

Page 28 of 201 [ 3004 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 201  Next

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: supercharged eb

NSW, Australia

joshie007 wrote:
fiend wrote:
Damn right Joshie. Been keeping and eye out for ages! Tried to talk two people into selling me there, but no luck... It's annoying having an orange lens out the side after going to all that effort to change the rear lights etc etc etc... If you come across a pair on your travels, you know I want them.
;)

What about some au ones fiend
well there is some on ebayhttp://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Fairlan ... 240%3A1318

..My fake plant died because I forgot to pretend to water it..

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

fiend wrote:
Mate - I don't quite get why welding in the new bits would be any more time consuming than all that effort of bogging and bringing up to a good standard. I've done my right side with metal cut outs, and I reckon it was actually easier than all that bog! Also means that I left drain holes in it so water can run out and not cause more problems. Ah well, PAULC seems to know his stuff, so he'd be the best judge.... With me doing all the chopping and prep and positioning and the good welder coming along and welding... Well, he spent 15-20 minutes and I was driving the car again before going home and tidying up / hiding the welds. It's more legal to have obvious panel replacement with solid welding than it is to have some over zealous tester find a brickload of bog in a "structual" part...

Bloody clear repeaters. I loathe Australia and all its parts.

It seems to me that you have all the anwsers without all the facts mate. The job was a quick fix that took all up about 2 hours over 3 days as this all that I could spare for ben over that weekend and due to the fact of the return of his wife on the long weekend we were left with little option. I spent about 20 mins on Friday night digging out the rust and just seeing how bad the doglegs were and hitting it with a bit of rust converter. After work on Saturday, I started at 6am and finished at 2pm without a break, up at 4:30am, I went to Bens and applied a little Glass filler, thius took about 10 mins, ohh and by the way Saturday was my better halfs Birthday. Ben can over Sunday and after about an hours sanding the filler and then a light skim of body filler he was on his way. I am a metal worker by trade and if "your guy" took 20mins to cut and weld in you patch I would be checking the work. and then you have to fill and smooth the work. Check the Dog leg in a wagon and see what has to be done to get it right, If you want to spend 20mins doing a bodge weld job then you get what you deserve. As Ben knows, when he has time and I can set a day aside for him I will do the job properly and it will take longer than 20mins. I stand by my work and you can see the standards I set myself with the work i have done. In future check your facts before engaging you mouth.

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Fiend, Fiend, Fiend SIGH

It needs to be made very clear that the decision to go down the path we did with the rust repairs, was a joint decision between Paulc and myself. I am entirely happy with the result of the work to date, and when time permits in both of our busy schedules, we will weld in the necessary metal.

I should have been a little clearer in my post regarding the actual time spent on the repairs.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

More Progress

I thought it would be a good idea, before my Wife returns on Friday, to actually do a mod related to the purpose of me getting the Wagon.

As we plan to cart the dogs around, I needed a way to tether them while on the move, and also once we are parked.

So I found some neat U Bolts with mounting plates used in marine applications. By tucking them away in the rear corners they won't interfere with anything I want to carry either.

When my Wife is home, she can make up some specific length dog leads to be used in the car.

I also added the Red LEDs to the front door handles. Very happy with the result. Sorry about the pics, but it is hard to take good shots.

Now for those of you that have looked closely at the pictures of the GT Bonnet, you may have noticed that there are no washer nozzels.

It was never intended to have them on the bonnet, so I got creative yesterday and mounted the copper washer nozzels from an X Series Ford.

As you can see I used some metal brackets, and some screws and clips I had spare to make the mounts. I will spray them black later on.

These pics show how they look with the cowl back on.

One sticks out further than the other due to the plenum design underneath.

I then drilled a hole through the firewall for the washer hose to pass through.

They work very well, better than the factory ones even.

Thats it for this update.

Cheers
BenJ

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Pauls anal knickers in a twist wrote:
Check the Dog leg in a wagon and see what has to be done to get it right, If you want to spend 20mins doing a bodge weld job then you get what you deserve. As Ben knows, when he has time and I can set a day aside for him I will do the job properly an..
BLAH f**k BLAH

If YOU bothered to read my post you'd see I have done it. BOTH sides of my almost identical wagon have been done, the right with a cutout from trim to sill, the left from in front of dogleg on sill the whole way to the filler cap.

Maybe YOU should be the one shutting up without facts. The twenty minute weld job was just that - twenty minute weld. Like I also said, I was the one who cut, positioned and tacked it on in my own time. It is 100% legal, strong weld, which took twenty minutes.

Obviously I am dreaming or something? It must have taken way way longer.

Like, my watch stopped, along the whole world at the moment Jono started welding? f**k knows why you're so defensive and getting ya g-string twisted about it.

Even attacking my fix like that - what have got to gain by putting down someone and something you have not ever seen? It's just fine, and is by no means a bodge job as you so readily spew forth to the world. Pull your head in, you ain't the only one with a few different welding setups and the skills to drive them.

If I was in anywhere near you PAULC, you'd see the repair for real and get what you deserve- you're own foot pulled from your big mouth.

Benj wrote:
Happy with work, etc
Yeah, his work looks good, can't argue. Just think you've over estimated the amount of time required by a fair bit - you have more than enough skills to get it all almost ready yourself Benj. The welding isn't that easy, for sure - but with the seats out, the carpet back, the trims removed and all the bits sitting there, it isn't a huge effort either.... I couldn't do it myself, but old mate Jono had it peeled out in twenty minutes.

Anyways, you have hidden the rust to get a cert, and there you go. Problem solved for a while. Much better than creating yet more problems....

Last edited by fiend on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

BenJ wrote:
Actually, the clear EF/EL type lenses are rare from factory anyway.

BenJ

did any EF/L's actually come with clear lenses? or is it just an NF/L thing?

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I believe, that EL Fairmont Ghias had the clear repeater lense, and of course the Fairlanes.

BenJ

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

this one dosent, lol

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

REAL nice with the washer setup by the way. Real freakin nice.

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:49 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Yeah the washer steup looks good ben. How much water flow comes out of the X Series washer nozels? Looks like rather than a pin prick there are just copper tube pressed in the middle to create a figure 8, so you have two streams on to your windscreen. Without sounding like a wanker and starting something, Does the washer pump designed for the original washer nozels keep up the flow rate with the nozels you have installed? or would a pump from the same car you pulled the nozels from work better?

Not that have ever had a wagon, but the tie down points seem to be a good idea, Not just for dogs but even if you need to move a tv or something you dont want to be floating around in the back.

I would put another 2 in the corners just behind the back seats so you have the option of tying somthing if you needed to.

By the way the red LEDS look nice mate

Cheers

Josh

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

alfy wrote:
BenJ wrote:
Actually, the clear EF/EL type lenses are rare from factory anyway.BenJ
BenJ wrote:
I believe, that EL Fairmont Ghias had the clear repeater lense, and of course the Fairlanes.BenJ
NF/NL Fairlanes, DF/DL LTD's and derivatives were the only cars from factory to get clear side repeaters, and they were a teardrop shape. No EF/EL's ever had them from factory. We're talking 1994-1999 here.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:25 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

snap0964 wrote:
alfy wrote:
BenJ wrote:
Actually, the clear EF/EL type lenses are rare from factory anyway.BenJ
BenJ wrote:
I believe, that EL Fairmont Ghias had the clear repeater lense, and of course the Fairlanes.BenJ
NF/NL Fairlanes, DF/DL LTD's and derivatives were the only cars from factory to get clear side repeaters, and they were a teardrop shape. No EF/EL's ever had them from factory. We're talking 1994-1999 here.

Snap where EL's made up to 99, I thort 99 was the AU unless the change from EL to AU was mid year?

Cheers

Josh

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

fiend wrote:
Pauls anal knickers in a twist wrote:
Check the Dog leg in a wagon and see what has to be done to get it right, If you want to spend 20mins doing a bodge weld job then you get what you deserve. As Ben knows, when he has time and I can set a day aside for him I will do the job properly an..
BLAH f**k BLAH

If YOU bothered to read my post you'd see I have done it. BOTH sides of my almost identical wagon have been done, the right with a cutout from trim to sill, the left from in front of dogleg on sill the whole way to the filler cap.

Maybe YOU should be the one shutting up without facts. The twenty minute weld job was just that - twenty minute weld. Like I also said, I was the one who cut, positioned and tacked it on in my own time. It is 100% legal, strong weld, which took twenty minutes.

Obviously I am dreaming or something? It must have taken way way longer.

Like, my watch stopped, along the whole world at the moment Jono started welding? f**k knows why you're so defensive and getting ya g-string twisted about it.

Even attacking my fix like that - what have got to gain by putting down someone and something you have not ever seen? It's just fine, and is by no means a bodge job as you so readily spew forth to the world. Pull your head in, you ain't the only one with a few different welding setups and the skills to drive them.

If I was in anywhere near you PAULC, you'd see the repair for real and get what you deserve- you're own foot pulled from your big mouth.

You turned around and stated that the welding would have taken less that filling, Yes true the actual welding would take only a short time. But how much time is spent in finding ouit how bad the rust is, cutting, sizing and fitting up for the final welding to do a good job. Thenm it need to be be finished, filled and painted. A lot longer than what it took to get Benj out of trouble for rego with no time available to do it. As for putting down people that was not intended but the inital statements came from you. Good luck in your future mods.

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

Wow Ben, i love the LED's in the interior handles!! That looks hot as!!

*goes to jaycar to purchase more leds to steel idea*

I like it alot. Can i use your idea without looking like a douche?

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:55 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

PIMP_LTD wrote:
Wow Ben, i love the LED's in the interior handles!! That looks hot as!!

*goes to jaycar to purchase more leds to steel idea*

I like it alot. Can i use your idea without looking like a douche?

I dont think he would mind mate, its been done before here is the link to the fordmods tech doco for it.

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/Illumina ... s-d68.html

Note this is for white LED's but you can use what ever colour you would like.

Josh

Sort by  
 Page 28 of 201  [ 3004 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 201  Next