Fordmods Logo

Benno the Viking's EL 

Page 8 of 12 [ 166 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post subject: Re: Benno the Viking's EL
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL GLi

She's pretty damn rusted, the poor old thing. Way past restoration which is a shame. :( I would have loved to do it up, it has a more modern motor and a auto box in it, they might be ok but it's been sitting out there for a while, and where it's sitting, cars rust like nothing else, I guess it's from the acidity of the soil or something.

Build Thread

the-garage-f53/benno-the-viking-s-el-t111731.html

Ain't nuthin' to it but do it!

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:35 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ef falon + xk falcon

QLD, Australia

Oh ok no good just curious cause i need a few bits for my wagon all good ,so you done anything to el lately

i hate it when its raining, makes my left foot slip off the clutch all the time

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:42 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Oh ok no good just curious cause i need a few bits for my wagon all good ,so you done anything to el lately

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:30 pm 
Tyre Shredder

What do ya need? It has some of the outside chrome bits still, you can have them. The engine and gearbox might be salvageable?

As for the EL, nah, nothing major, I just took off my trailer plug and sealed up the hole, and tidied up the exhaust a bit, it was rattling on the body a bit. I 'modified' the right hand rim slightly, I scraped it on a gutter. :lol: Damn. Ah well, it's not noticeable so I don't mind. I just have to keep it going for me to get down to brissy, and now I'm gathering up bits for a major rebuild this summer. So far my goals are: T5, fresh block and bottom end, 1521a cam, shaved, ported and polished head (backup plan is a ticky head), new springs depending on what the head I get has in it, J3 tuned for it, I've already got the intake, extractors and exhaust and LSD. After that it's about all I can do on P plates, we'll see how it goes. Oh yeah, does your mate still have that T5 for sale and if so, does it come with all the gear (clutch, pedal etc)?

How about your EF, done anything on it lately?

Build Thread

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

i need some bonnet hinges if they are good enough and basically whatever i can salvage off it IF it fits lol

and by 'modify the wheel' was that through abit of right foot play time haha

and that motor i didnt get it on the weekend but i will try by this weekend

and my ef only thing i remember doing lately is putting my reconditioned diff in it ..... its soooo damn tight haha

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

61xkwagon wrote:
i need some bonnet hinges if they are good enough and basically whatever i can salvage off it IF it fits lol

and by 'modify the wheel' was that through abit of right foot play time haha

and that motor i didnt get it on the weekend but i will try by this weekend

and my ef only thing i remember doing lately is putting my reconditioned diff in it ..... its soooo damn tight haha

I'll look this weekend what's good on it and get back to you?

:lol: you got that right, I thought I wouldn't hit the gutter (wasn't sliding or anything anymore) but I did...ah well. My fault.

LSD diffs are good stuff, I'm surprised at how tight mine is, I wonder if it's been reco'ed at some stage.

As for my new acquirations, I picked up a cute little T5 box for mine, with the bellhousing. Sweet! I just have to get the clutch and other parts for it.

Build Thread

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

yeah sounds good cheers

and yeah they are just before we put it in the car me and a mate put 2m long bars on each side and he was picking me up off the ground

i just thought that your living in brissy now.... your gonna hate a manual soon if your always in the traffic

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:58 pm 
Tyre Shredder

f**k, that's tight!

Yeah I am, I don't drive much anyway as traffic is usually a b**ch, so I'll just have to hack it haha. Most of the time I take busses and trains as it's cheaper so it should be ok. I won't put the gearbox in till I have time so that won't be for another month or 2, bugger.

Build Thread

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

yeah i started pulling my dash appart the afternoon i got my t5 haha i was sooo keen for it but i was going to do what you are ( head work + cam) but im just going to save for the next year and save for s turbo kit and do it all at once

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:16 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Makes sense man, no point buying all the NA gear then having no money for a turbo kit.

I know what you mean about taking it apart, when I got my exhaust, I got it shipped to a mates house, I picked it up at about 4 in the arvo and put it on that arvo/night in his girlfriend's shed. I waited for ages to put my cam in though as I wanted to make sure I knew exactly how to work the cam chain tensioner - turns out I was making a mountain out of a molehill, it was no big deal.

Alright, T5 time...anyone got any recommendations? I have just been hearing horror stories of the manual boxes, whether it's bent clutch forks, burnt clutches, snapped/stretch cables, cracked firewalls, it sounds like a bloody mess. My action plan so far is:

New clutch - I searched clutches on here and came up with a HD one that was recommended, it's about 260 on ebay.
Reinforce the firewall with a plate similar to the one fiend sells/sold
I still need the clutch fork, pedal, cable (buy the cable new), gearbox cross mount? and a manual pressure plate. Looks like it's back to the wreckers. I have a manual XF here but I don't know if the parts I need will fit. I need to get a malwood clutch pin as well.

Thankfully I'll be putting this transmission onto the motor outside of the car, hopefully that will make it easier.

Build Thread

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:29 am 
Tyre Shredder

Alrighty, a bit of research onto XF-EL parts.

(in regards to EA flywheel onto crossflow)
kiwi
23-08-2010, 09:25 PM
You would need to drill the flywheel bolt holes out larger to suit the 7/16" crossflow flywheel bolts.
EA flywheel is identical to XF flywheel except for the mounting bolt hole size.
EA and XF clutches are also the same.

From
http://www.fordaustraliaforums.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-40588.html

And from our very own Troyman.

Quote:
im pretty sure even xd or earlier to eb1 is the same, 9 1/2"240mm 3 bolt 10 spline.
eb2-au 3 including xr6 is 10"/254mm 6 bolt 10 spline..

Alright...the flywheel and clutch aren't really the problem, the clutch I'll get new and the flywheel should be (touch wood) easy to get...what I want is the pedal, crossmember and clutch fork. Hopefully the XF pedal and clutch fork will fit...

Build Thread

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

i just remembered there is a guy selling a full el convertion wants $800 i think i will try find it and pm you a link

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:52 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Holy s**t, that's a bit steep. :shock: EL cheap-a*** strikes again. I just don't want to have to go to a wrecker to get these parts, but it seems I'll either have to do that or pay more for the bits. Ah well, I've got a while until I am converting it so I can bide my time. Cheers for looking for the link though man. I'll get back to you on those XP parts this weekend, I'll ask dad if there's any bits for it in the shed, I'll give them to you for nothing as I'd rather have someone use them than just let them sit there and rust away.

Build Thread

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:09 pm 
Tyre Shredder

61xk wagon, I didn't get a chance to look at that XP mate, sorry about that. I do have the front of the dash for it in the shed in ok nick, and the back of it is somewhere, if you want those bits. As I said, the 200 cube motor in it is there, as well as a c3 or c4, I'm not quite sure.

My cars still being a douche and not idling well, I dunno what it is...the only thing I can think of is a buggered ICS, or the butterfly is leaking. It's tolerable but like I said, getting annoying.

I am looking at getting a motorbike for transport while my car is off the road, there's a neat GSXR400 for sale here but it isn't exactly P plater legal. :(

Build Thread

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

yeah cheers bud might have to have a look at it some time, oh and are you going to be up our way this weekend?

and your idle being weird it isnt a vaccum leak(im sure you have already looked) but i found that the vaccum line to the heater tap fell off..... was the last place i would think to look lol

and yeah definately get a bike i have a gs500 and its great to have if by any chance i need the car off the road

Sort by  
 Page 8 of 12  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next