Fordmods Logo

BRY40L's garage. bf xr. 

Page 8 of 14 [ 208 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next

Post subject: Re: BRY40L's bf xr
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

No

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Not sure if my cat or exhaust is cracked near the drivers door so I'll be dropping into the local exhaust shop tomorrow for a quick repair. Could possibly be the gasket.

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

silly question, do the ba bf falcons normally sound a little bit sporty when you get up them? in other words when driving sensible around town its quiet and if i hold it flat to the red line on the highway it will get a growl sound up from around the cat? i went to the exhaust shop and got it booked in for tommorrow because the guy suggested the cat could be buggered. altho it doesnt rattle around inside like theres loose parts. hopefully the cats buggered and it fixes my noise and economy issues.

BF XR6

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

From what I have been told all back pressure needed is created up to the outlet of the cat, therefore if you have had a sudden loss in economy it must be somewhere up to the cat's outlet side.
Even though it sounds like its coming from around the drivers door, maybe the sound deadening of the bonnet and the firewall is muffling the sound and it seems like its coming from around the drivers door. If you can, do a visual the best you can and while the cars running listen for any leaks. Also running your hand around exhaust joins ( of course dont touch the exhaust) while its running and check for air escaping might narrow it down.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:09 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

bry40l wrote:
silly question, do the ba bf falcons normally sound a little bit sporty when you get up them? in other words when driving sensible around town its quiet and if i hold it flat to the red line on the highway it will get a growl sound up from around the cat? i went to the exhaust shop and got it booked in for tommorrow because the guy suggested the cat could be buggered. altho it doesnt rattle around inside like theres loose parts. hopefully the cats buggered and it fixes my noise and economy issues.

My BA sound raspy when i get up it yes.
My exhaust also has a bit of a rattle and is noticeable when the engine is hot or the idle is a bit low. Eg being in drive. I think thats due to the heat shields on it becoming a bit loose though.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

93EB wrote:
bry40l wrote:

My BA sound raspy when i get up it yes.
My exhaust also has a bit of a rattle and is noticeable when the engine is hot or the idle is a bit low. Eg being in drive. I think thats due to the heat shields on it becoming a bit loose though.

yeah i was speaking to a mate who owns 2 b series a minute ago and he said the cats do cause problems on this model, also they rattle when hot and sound raspy, and also to watch out for the intake manifold/exhaust manifold coming loose, he also said the cats will crack and i should probably get it all checked, its booked in tomorrow, cbf climbing under this car pulling it apart like the old one.

BF XR6

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I must admit I kinda feel a bit responsible too. It was only a few days ago I asked if the big mouth gave you a note change and now you have an exhaust problem. I swear I didnt drive up to Newy and sabotage your exhaust.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

It's been doing it for a while actually. It's just I decided to get it looked at lol

BF XR6

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

few, thought for a minute you'd be coming for blood. You newy blokes are f**k nuts

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So the exhaust shop said my cats starting to go. 450 for a new bolt on section or 550 for a whole new custom piece with a high flow cat and 2.5 inch pipe. As ba owners know the cat section makes up 50% of the exhaust.

BF XR6

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I remember a member had told me once that there is not much difference between a brand new factory cat compared to a high flow cat performance wise. Will the extra $100 be worth saying you have a high flow or was the info I got wrong? Still considering prices for you to buy these parts those quotes arent bad really.

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

79raven wrote:
I remember a member had told me once that there is not much difference between a brand new factory cat compared to a high flow cat performance wise. Will the extra $100 be worth saying you have a high flow or was the info I got wrong? Still considering prices for you to buy these parts those quotes arent bad really.

Well a high flow cat will be good quality plus we all know biggers better lol. Plus I told them I'd want it 2.5 inch off the cat to the front of the diff where it bolts to the rear section. Only problem is it will bring up an engine light which may need to be tuned out :(

BF XR6

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

Engine is no biggy mate, I've got mine up cause of the cat. But the difference between hi-flow and standard is huge. Not only is the standard cat a massive bottleneck, but it is also very weak.

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

point taken. Thanks for the clarify.

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

TheKrazeD wrote:
Engine is no biggy mate, I've got mine up cause of the cat. But the difference between hi-flow and standard is huge. Not only is the standard cat a massive bottleneck, but it is also very weak.

I wanna get it done but leave the rear standard because I like a quiet car.

BF XR6

Sort by  
 Page 8 of 14  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next