Fordmods Logo

Corbin's ef xr6 turbo build 

Page 14 of 20 [ 297 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next

Post subject: Re: Corbin's ef xr6 turbo build
Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef XR6t

QLD, Australia

Received my wastegate valve seat in the mail on friday, friggin quick delivery. Ordered it on thursday at like 2pm and received it 1 pm the next day!

So i took my car into work friday arvo and topped up gearbox oil and engine oil and drained the water out of cooling system and filled with coolant. Also tried gassing my A/c up and found that a/c line i fitted started leaking from the fitting on the condenser so i pulled front bumper off and pulled line off and found it had completely stripped the thread. Fairly sure the nut on the line was allready buggered and stuffed my condenser. So now i have bought and fitted a new condenser today just need to get another A/c line from wreckers with a good thread.

Fitted my valve seat today too and it was a bugger to put the wastegate back on, seems the pipes dont line up perfectly and require persuading to get the v band clamps on. Allready stripped both v band bolts and nuts because of the misalignment so i picked up some spares from kj bolt early this morning.

After all the stuffing around i fitted the bumper and took the car for a drive and had a play with the boost controller. Set My SP value to 00 to run gate pressure and it made 8.6 psi with a 7 psi spring. changed the value to 10 and now makes 9.3psi also adjusted gate pressure to 5psi for it to start opening and it comes on boost pretty hard as it is. Pretty stoked with the new manifold. Also has a slightly different exhaust note. Its kind of louder in a way but maybe because i have a brand new muffler fitted a few weeks ago so just has to build up a bit of carbon to quieten down...

heres a few pics... also a comparison of old wastegate to new for size difference.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ef-turbo-build-t103080.html

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Finished installing heat shielding and heat wrapping my dump pipe today. Finally 100% drivable :D
took it for another spin to play with the boost controller more and make sure all the heat shielding was doing a good job. Got it hot and did a few runs down an 80kph zone to make sure everything was good. Pretty happy with everything now, just need to exchange the A/c line at the wreckers for one with a good thread on the nut so i can finally gas it up. But now have working heater as i have hooked it back up with brand new hoses... just in time for summer hmm.

pics...

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Looks like its all coming together now i have tuner booked car trailer booked and work off hopefully. Had some bad luck with my a/c pipe that i got from the wreckers this is my 4th one now and all have had problems like s**t thread on the nut or split in hose and the guy at the wreckers is not happy, dont even wanna deal with them again so I figured i may aswell get my original one repaired by enzed and get some new high pressure flexi hoses fitted to it... will do that after it comes back from the tuners. For the mean time ive done a dodgy and used some special glue sealant stuff around the joins to see if it holds gas for more than a week. Ive lost count how many times ive had my front bumper off my car...

On other news i bought a 4inch pod filter and I'm surprised that its more compact than my 3 inch unit and they are both K&N :O just need to source a 4 inch 45 degree bend to fit it. Just dummy fitted it straight to my turbo and was suprised it fitted behind the pwr steer pump...

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

So another failed attempt at gassing my a/c up. Took it into work today and vac'd the system then proceeded to charging it with gas and found it was getting to 350-360 grams and then the compressor would kick out then it would actually force the gas back into the bottle until pressure got below a certain point and it would kick the a/c compressor back in. Found that the low pressure side was nearly at 100psi when it should be around 30-50 and the high side should see around 200. So i figured there may be a block in the system somewhere and suspected the tx valve although it was gassed a few weeks ago with no problems except for the slow leak... So i took the car home and pulled the tx valve off and found the high pressure side on the firewall side of the tx valve appeared to be dry and no green dye and the other 3 ports were wet and green and i found the tx valve had seized shut which is what would be causing the dramas i was having earlier on.

This led me to believe maybe my tx valve has been on its way out for a while and is probably what caused high pressures in the lines making the a/c hose leak....

So going to buy a new tx valve on monday and try it all again!

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Turbo EL

VIC, Australia

Cannot wait to see what kind of power you make of your car mate :D
s**t about the a/c, not to worry just drive around with out it and have the windows down :P

What ecu are you using again ?

Build Thread:
1998 Turbo EL Futura Sapphire

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Well it used to have 301.7rwhp on 10psi with massive exhaust leaks from manifold. So hopefully should come on harder and faster and probs make a bit more peak power. Maybe bumping it up to 12 pound for a bit of extra herb

Oh and ecu is a microtech ltx 12s

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

xr6_corbin wrote:
Well it used to have 301.7rwhp on 10psi with massive exhaust leaks from manifold. So hopefully should come on harder and faster and probs make a bit more peak power. Maybe bumping it up to 12 pound for a bit of extra herb

Oh and ecu is a microtech ltx 12s

That's a nice power return on the mods done :D Was the ecu hard to put in ?
I'm going to keep the j3 chip and have them tune on that, otherwise the expenses just keep piling up.

Build Thread:

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

One of the guys from work wired in the ecu for me, as for difficulty its not hard to splice and solder wires as long as you have a wiring diagram so you know what wires are what. He had done them a bunch of times before and is really good at that kind of stuff so i let him do it.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

got my new intake pipe today, 4inch 45 degree bend in mild steel was 35 bucks woohoo! the stainless equivalent was 61 but im too much of a tight a** at the moment haha.

heres a pic of it next to my old pipe... looks much better

bit of trimming and got a new silicon joiner and clamp and its al fitted

this was before i cut the pipe, was thinking about cutting a hole in my bonnet and running it like this for extra street cred... lol jks

It deffs doses louder now its more of a dose than flutter, sounds pretty cool haha. Wonder how restrictive my old 3inch intake was... hmm

pretty tight squeeze

sorry for all the pics, i always take too many haha

cheers

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Wow that's a big pipe ! Like you said need to come out of bonnet for extra street creed :lol: Certainly a tight fit past the battery try and pump.

Build Thread:

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah it has like 5mm clearance all up

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

Can never be enough pics mate! We are men, pictures help us to understand things ;)

Damn that's a clean section of 4" pipe man. Usually see people with welds all through it, I like mate.

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Haha yeh, I bought the bend like that. I actually had to trim one end of it down. But it's a perfect fit! Couldn't be happier. It's not stainless though so ill have to paint it black :( haha

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Had the car back on the dyno today, didnt wanna push it too hard incase of clutch slippage so only ran it at 12psi.

first dyno sheet was spose to be comparison between old and new power on same boost but it did run slightly more boost
Old power on 10.7psi was 301.7hp
New power with 6 boost manifold on 10.9ish psi made 318.6hp

second dyno sheet is final power figures
lowboost was set back down to roughly 10psi and made 311.6hp
high was set to just on 12psi and made 333.4hp

took it for a drive tonight when i got home and it ran like nearly 14 psi because of the significantly cooler air than today when it was hot, went pretty damn hard for such a small increase in power in my opinion. It makes 300hp earlier in the rev range at 3900rpm where it used to make it at 4500 and it holds peak power for longer up top from around 4250-5100 roughly so defiantly pulls harder and it drops back off but doesnt go under 300 up at redline where as it used to drop off to about 270ish before redline. I know its not alot more but im pretty happy with how it goes. Should definatly see me get a better ET down willow bank in a few weeks. :)

Also my tuner was saying that it wouldnt take as much timing as last time but last time i got it tuned in september and it woulda been the end of winter so it would have been cooler and also the season variation in fuels would maybe have an effect? dunno...

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Impressive work mate ! Good to see that the power is kicking in earlier in the rev range and not dropping off as much anymore.

Build Thread:

Sort by  
 Page 14 of 20  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next